AP + Tank Hybrid (Top)
Basic Final Build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Blitzcrank with this build
|Malphite||Malphite has little to none when it comes to poke options. Becuase of Malphite's slow speed he is an easy target to Rocket Grab (Q)|
|Garen||Same as Maplhite, little choices for poking Blitzcrank. Generally slow movement speed, easy to hit with Rocket Grab.|
So... This is my simple guide about taking a god tier support character, and putting him in the top lane to engage in some beefy battles. I would like to say that I am the least qualified person to write this guide, And I have little experience in high elo games, But that does not mean this guide means nothing. This guide could give you incite on the potential of my robot friend Blitzcrank.
Pros / Cons
- Short cooldown time on alt (30 Sec)
- Slow attack speed
- Easy to learn
- Fun to play
- Hard to gank
- ability's create pick set ups and get aways
- Slow attack speed
- High mana costs
- Slow movement speed
- Vulnerable to pokes
Each item I use in this build has its special purpose, likely increasing ability power and or health of blitzcrank.
- Frost Queen's Claim is a useful early game item for a cheap way to get increased gold income, ability power and most importantly the 100% base mana regen (Rocket Grab begins to become powerful and a handy tool)
- Rod of Ages finally gives Blitzcrank the mana he needs to use abilities frequently, also giving him increased AP and health so he can fight top laners with ease.
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter increases stats in a similar way the rod of ages does. Rylai's Crystal Scepter slows enemies for 1.5 seconds using Rocket Grab as a special bonus.
- Boots of Mobility help you to outrun the other top laners. Ninja Tabi or Berserker's Greaves are other options, but I like to use the Boots of Mobility.
- Iceborn Gauntlet is a beast of an item for all purposes when building AP or tank. It provides mana and CD reduction, to further improve Rocket Grab.
- Trinity Force is essential to this build. The item helps in nearly every aspect, which makes it a core item. Unfortunately it will cost a lot of gold to get, but it is worth it.
- Health Potion can be swapped for Refillable Potion, its a preference thing.
Ignite is supplemental to Rocket Grab, and can get you some easy kills at any stage of the game. Ignite is essential for top laners so they can fill the need for aggressive play styles.
Flash is one of the two get away options for Blitzcrank. The other is Overdrive, use flash before or after the speed surge for the best results.
Teleport is a third option for a spell that can be swapped with Flash. When using teleport, take advantage of teleporting to wards because Blitzcrank has slow MS early game.
- Rocket Grab is the first skill to upgrade once all abilities are upgraded once. Max it out as soon as possible, this move when upgraded increases the magic damage the ability exerts.
- Overdrive This ability should be maxed after Rocket Grab because it has better results when upgrading compared to Power Fist. Upgrading increases movement speed during use.
- Power Fist should be upgraded last because of the small changes it receives after upgrading. Power Fist cooldown is reduced by one second.
Mana Barrier is why I tried out putting Blitzcrank top. The ability gets you out of sticky situations and can win you a big fight.
PASSIVE: When Blitzcrank drops below 20% of his maximum health, he shields himself for 50% of his current mana for up to 10 seconds. --Cooldown 90 sec
Rocket Grab is Blitzcrank's piece of resistance. It is by far his best move, but be careful, it is easy to dodge and costs a lot of mana. You can use this to gank or pull players into turrets. follow up this move with Power Fist and Ignite for quick and easy kills!
ACTIVE: Blitzcrank fires his right hand in the target direction, Airborne icon pulling the first enemy hit to him, Stun icon stunning them for 0.5 seconds and dealing magic damage.
--Magic Damage: 80 / 135 / 190 / 245 / 300 (+ 100% AP)
RANGE: 925 - SPEED: 1750 - COST: 100 MANA - COOLDOWN: 20 / 19 / 18 / 17 / 16
Overdrive is Blittzcrank's get away option. it also can be used to chase an opponent with low health to secure a kill.
ACTIVE: Blitzcrank puts himself into overdrive, gaining bonus attack speed for 5 seconds and bonus movement speed that decays to 10% over the duration.
--Movement Speed: 70 / 75 / 80 / 85 / 90% - Attack Speed: 30 / 38 / 46 / 54 / 62%
COST: 75 MANA - COOLDOWN: 15
Power Fist is a good follow up to Rocket Grab. it can also be used to assist when you farm for an easier time getting CS. This move is excellent but is pointless to upgrade till the very end.
ACTIVE: Blitzcrank's next basic attack deals 100% AD bonus physical damage and Airborne icon knocks up his target for 1 second.
COST: 25 MANA - COOLDOWN: 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 5
Static Field is a great move for all purposes. It kills, has a great range for large groups of minions, and has little cool down time.
PASSIVE: While Static Field is not on cooldown, Blitzcrank fires a lightning bolt at a random nearby visible enemy every 2.5 seconds, dealing magic damage.
ACTIVE: Blitzcrank detonates his static field, dealing magic damage to nearby enemies and Silence icon silencing them for 0.5 seconds.
--Bolt Magic Damage: 100 / 200 / 300 (+ 20% AP) --Detonation Magic Damage: 250 / 375 / 500 (+ 100% AP)
RANGE: 450 / 600 - COST: 100 MANA - COOLDOWN: 30
10 Reasons Why Blitzcrank Can Play Top
1. Good health and armor
2. Hard to gank using Flash and Overdrive
3. Can solo anyone at end game
4. Out of the meta, nobody knows how to handle him
5. Mana Barrier is as good as Malphite's Granite Shield
6. Rocket Grab sets up all the kills you need
7. Adaptable to play support if bot needs help
8. Farm using Static Field because of the low CD
9. Easy to pick up and fun to play
10. He is a robot.
Blitzcrank's base stats:
HEALTH 583 – 2198 ATTACK DAMAGE 62 – 121
HEALTH REGEN 8.5 – 21.3 ATTACK SPEED [*] 0.625 (+0% – 19.2%)
MANA 267 – 947 ARMOR 24.4 – 92.4
MANA REGEN 8.5 – 22.1 MAGIC RES. 32.1 – 53.4
MELEE 125 MOV. SPEED 325
Thank you for reading my guide on playing blitzcrank top. I might not be a great player at the game, but you should still try out blitzcrank top. Experiment and give me feedback if you feel that is necessary for this guide to reach more viewers.