Jayce General Guide by E223
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Early Game Damage
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hey everybody. My name is E223 and today I'm bringing you my first guide on MOBAFire so please bear with me here. I had been working on a guide prior to this, but then I thought it would be too difficult to keep up with the changes of season 3. Now I've decided to get my lazy butt up and keep working on this. Anyway, not that that rant is over, I hope you guys enjoy my guide. Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
I started playing Jayce when he first came out and immediately I loved the champion and I could not get enough of him. The more I played I wanted to be even better than I was before. I looked up quite a few guides on how to play Jayce, and although I found a few, there were really none that suited my play style. At that point I decided to make my own guide. As I was working on this guide Season 3 came rolling through the door and Season 2 went out the window. I thought it would be too difficult to remake a lot of my guide for season 3, and so i deleted it.
But now here I am making this guide because I have adapted to Season 3 and I feel i need to finish what I started. So I present to you my Jayce build.
I chose this Video because It goes over all of Jayce's abilities and a bunch of other cool things such as, how to counter him and some items to buy. Most of which are in this guide and explained further.
Pros / Cons
+ Great Ranged poke
+ Good Trade
+ Most Matchups go in your favor
+ 8 Abilities
+ Able to traverse the map quickly
- Range in Cannon form is not very far.
- Not a lot of CC
- Not Very tanky
- Relies on items for sustain
This is the mastery page I use 99% of the time when playing Jayce. If my teammates want me to do something other than just maximum DMG, for example if they want me to go tanky, I won't play Jayce at all.
- Greater Quintessence of Life Steal: This quintessence is used to help my sustain in lane because Jayce doesn't have any sustain on his own. With this and the masteries, by just last hitting, unless you really being poked down, you should be able to sustain quite nicely. I especially like that you can be in hammer form and gain mana and health back at the same time.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: With these marks, you are giving Jayce a huge amount of Damage, especially early game. That is the aim of these marks.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: These glyphs are meant to protect you from AP champs top, because most of the champs that do counter Jayce are AP , as well as the APC late game or if they come to gank.
- Greater Seal of Armor: The seals are aimed at giving you more survivability in lane especially because most of the champs you find top are AD.
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed: This quintessence is useful when you need mobility. IE: When you are going up against someone with a lot of skill shots or Nidalee D: YOUR WORST ENEMY!
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: This quintessence is useful when you are trying to get even more AD early game, or you feel that you don't need the sustain from your other quints.
Ignitesize=60: I choose Ignite over Exhaust and Teleport 95% of the time because ignite can give you that little extra needed damage to secure a kill without having to tower dive or take risks that could ultimately end in your death.
: I take Exhaust when fighting champions that can burst you down in one combo, but when they are unable to kill you, they no longer have any abilities and they cannot escape.
: I take Ghost when I feel that our team needs good map control. This ability gives you great mobility throughout the entire game. If you need to make it to places extremely quickly you can use Ghost, acceleration gate, and you can switch from mercury cannon to mercury hammer, and you have a ton of movement speed.
: I take Teleport and many other top lane champions but not normally would i take this spell on Jayce. If you want another form of map control and being able to get to places quickly you can take teleport.
: Heal is also another summoner spell I don't normally take but it can be used on Jayce. If your bottom lane doesn't have heal and you are playing more of a tanky support Jayce, for whatever reason, you can take Heal. Heal is also extremely great for kiting someone into thinking they can kill/ tower dive you.
- Hextech Capacitor: Jayce gains 40 movement speed and ignores unit collision for 1.25 seconds each time Transform is cast.
- To the Skies! / Shock Blast (Q): To the Skies: Jayce leaps to an enemy dealing 20 / 65 / 110 / 155 / 200 (+1.0 per bonus attack damage) physical damage and slowing enemies by 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% for 2 seconds.
Shock Blast: Jayce fires an orb of electricity that detonates upon hitting an enemy (or reaching the end of its path) dealing 60 / 115 / 170 / 225 / 280 (+1.2 per bonus attack damage) physical damage to all enemies in the area of the explosion. If fired through an Acceleration Gate, Shock Blast's damage, range, speed, and explosion radius are increased by 40%
- Lightning Field / Hyper Charge (W): Lightning Field: Passive: Jayce restores 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 / 14 mana per strike while in Hammer form. Active: Jayce creates a field of lightning that damages nearby enemies for 100 / 170 / 240 / 310 / 380 (+100% of ability power) magic damage per second for 4 seconds.
Hyper Charge: Jayce gains a burst of energy, increasing his attack speed to the maximum amount for 3 attacks. These attacks do 70 / 85 / 100 / 115 / 130% of his attack damage.
- Thundering Blow / Acceleration Gate (E): Thundering Blow: Jayce deals (+1.0 per bonus attack damage) + 8 / 11 / 14 / 17 / 20% of targets maximum health as magic damage and knocks them back a short distance. Damage to monsters is capped at 200 / 300 / 400 / 500 / 600 magic damage.
Acceleration Gate: Jayce deploys an Acceleration Gate, which increases the movement speed of allied champions who pass through it by 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% for 3 seconds. This movement speed bonus rapidly decreases over its duration. If Shock Blast is fired through the gate, its speed, range, damage, and explosion radius are increased by 40%.
- Mercury Cannon / Mercury Hammer (R): Mercury Cannon: Transforms the Mercury Hammer into the Mercury Cannon gaining new abilities and increased range. The first attack in this form reduces the target's Armor and Magic Resist by 10/15/20/25% for 5 seconds.
Mercury Hammer: Transforms the Mercury Cannon into the Mercury Hammer gaining new abilities and increases Jayce's Armor and Magic Resist by 5/15/25/35. The first attack in this form deals 20/60/100/140 additional magic damage.
Jayce's passive gives him a small movement speed buff which can be used with his Thundering Blow / Acceleration Gate for an even greater movement speed buff. With this he also avoids unit collision. This only occurs when he switches stance's with his ultimate Mercury Cannon / Mercury Hammer. The movement speed from this is around the same movement speed ghost gives you for a few seconds, but it rapidly decreases.spaaaaaaaace
To The Skies! / Shock Blast:
Let's start with To the Skies! This is a gap closer with a slowing effect. What is different about this skill from most other champion's gap closers is the fact that you do not jump to the enemy but you jump to the location the enemy was located when you casted the ability. When you reach the location you deal AoE magic damage equal to all of your AD as well as slowing all targets in the area hit by a fairly good amount.cool space
Now lets move on to Shock Blast. Shock blast is used in Jayce's Cannon form. Shock Blast is your main source of damage and it is what makes Jayce so famous for his poking ability. At first this skill is not very damage dealing and it doesn't have a very long range. It also hits minions which means you have to have a clear shot on enemies if you are aiming at them. But this skill is amazing when it is shot through your E or your acceleration gate. If you hit a champion with this the poke can be a damage dealing as Nidalee's spear. Also if you shoot it through the gate it has a larger AoE and it travels faster.space
Lightning Field / Hyper Charge:
Now we are focusing on Lightning Field. Lightning Field is available as your "W" in Mercury Hammer Stance. This ability is not really needed in your combos, and therefore it is very underrated by many people. This doesn't mean it does nothing it just means it is not as damage dealing as the other abilities. It does give Jayce the AoE and that can scare enemies and it does also give you more clearing ability. In the laning phase, this ability has a very nice threat and helps you push. Another wonderful thing about this ability is the passive that grants you mana per attack in Mercury Hammer form. After combos or poke, you are able to get the mana back and keep constantly poking. This combined with life steal, if you have gone back and gotten Vampiric Scepter or The Bloodthirster, can grant you a very long sustain time in lane; and even out of lane when in team fights. Some people may be a little upset that they actually have to get in melee distance from the enemy, but know Jayce, if you dont have any mana that means the enemy must not have very much health either. So unless you are facing a ranged character top; that means you have nothing to worry about.space
Now moving on to Hyper Charge. This ability is your "W" in Mercury Cannon form. This skill is EVEN MORE under appreciated Jayce ability in the game. This ability give you max (2.00) Attack Speed for three auto attacks (4 if you time it correctly) or 4 seconds. These basic attacks do less damage than normal at lower levels, but higher damage than normal at higher levels. When you are at really high levels with a finished build these auto attacks can be almost as damage dealing as crits and can almost let you 4 shot enemies. With the phage proc, you can drop enemies in seconds. But there is one bad thing about this ability. If you build more attack speed it loses its value because Attack Speed only goes up to 2.00, and if you already have that attack speed there is no point in having the ability.SPACESARECOOL
IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN
Thundering Blow / Acceleration Gate:
Thundering Blow is Jayce's "E" in Hammer form. This ability is definitely the coolest ability on Jayce in my opinion because it allows you to jump into the enemy team, avoid until collision with all people because you just switched stances, slow the adc, and knock him/her into hell. ELO HELL. But in all seriousness it is a knockback that does damage based on then % of maximum health of the target as well as a 1 AD ratio. This can do "tons of damage" to the target. The cool part about this is you can go up to a person and hit them and then they will not be able to attack you back because of the distance created and the stun.