Galio Build Guide by Cowstep
Mastery Tree Is Outdated
WARNING: These masteries are still using the old tree and have not been updated to the new tree by the guide author. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Galio is one of my main champions. I play him alot and hes a funny and good tank. The funny thing is that he is one of the most underplayed champions in LoL. How can this great champion be so underplayed? A great shield, good harass, a OMGWTFBBQSAUCE epic ultimate which can turn a teamfight around?
Well, the nerfs on him that made his damage go down has lowered the popularity of this superb champion. But Galio is not a AP carry. Hes a great tank, with much mobility because of his E, and a slow that takes foes forever to escape from.
This guide is about the tank Galio, so if you're looking for a pure AP guide, go somewhere else, because you wont find that here.
"Long before the League's regulation of such magic, mages experimented with the creation of artificial life. Now forbidden, instilling golems with reason was once not so uncommon a practice amongst the more expert of craftsmen. One such visionary was the Demacian artificer, Durand. Peerless at crafting sentient beings, Durand's constructs served as tireless guardians for the border towns of his beloved city-state, affording them protection from their Noxian neighbors. For his own defense, however, Durand kept his magnum opus: Galio. This mighty construct forged in the image of a gargoyle kept him safe on his journeys, allowing him to perform his important work without fear of reprisal from those hostile to his homeland. That is, until dealing with his taxing sentinels finally roused the ire of the Noxian High Command.
As Durand crossed the Howling Marsh with his masterwork in tow, he was set upon by Noxian assassins in force. Outnumbered and overwhelmed, Galio looked on in horror as the murderers cut down his charge, executing him swiftly before vanishing back into the mists. Stripped of his reason for being, Galio despaired. For years he remained in solitude, standing vigil over the bones of the master he had failed to protect... a literal monument to his own everlasting shame. Then, on one nondescript day, a sad but determined yordle girl carrying a mighty Demacian crown stopped in the shadow of a great statue to rest. Hidden in plain sight from his unsuspecting visitor, Galio studied the forlorn yordle. She looked as though she too shouldered a tremendous burden. As quietly and as stoically as she had arrived, she departed in the direction of Demacia. This encounter lit a spark in Galio's eye. Remembering the cause that his master had died defending, Galio arose from his silent purgatory and followed in the wake of this brave creature. He had a new reason to live: to join the League of Legends and fight for the will of Demacia."
"There is no such thing as redemption. Only penance." -Galio
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Health
Marks: Greater Mark of Magic Penetration x9
These will help you with your early game harrass and damage.
Seals: Greater Seal of Armor x9
I tend to always pick these when playing tanks/offtanks. Tankiness!
Glyphs: Greater Glyph of Magic Resist x9
It will give you a fair amount of magic resist and AP from you're passive.
Quintessences: Greater Quintessence of Health x3
One of my favorite quints. Helps you with lane survivability aswell as ganking.
- Teleport: This may be more useful than you think. Teleport is great on Galio because he can save turrets by clearing minion waves very fast with his Q > E combo. Also good to get back to lane fast and not loosing any exp on the way back.
- Flash: One of the best summoner spells in the game. Let's you escape tricky situations that you normally would have died from staying there.
- Exhaust: I love exhaust. A very good summoner spell that may decide a fight from 1v1 to a teamfight. But i wouldnt recommend it for Galio though.
- Ignite: A great summoner spell for all champions that lowers incoming healing by 50%. Great to stop champions like Tryndamere, Dr. Mundo, Warwick, Sion etc.
- Ghost: Also a great summoner spell for Galio. Its awesome for initiating, escaping, chasing etc. But i personally think Flash tops this a little, because you cant run through walls.
- Clarity: A decent spell for Galio. If you tend to harass much early game, use this. But because Chalice of Harmony is such a cheap and good item i dont use this, because the item itself solves all Galio's mana problems.
- Promote: Are you seriously thinking of using this? No.
- Surge: This is made for Kog'Maw not Galio.
- Revive: Only useful if you're trolling, or playing Karthus.
- Heal: You already got you're shield, dont waste your summoner spell slot with this.
- Clairvoyance: Leave it for your support.
Galio - Stone Sentinel
Jungle Galio - SHOOT THEM WITH YO' LAZER EYES
Galio: The savior of mid lane
Galio - The Guardian of the Rift