Katarina Build Guide by Nekolike
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hey guys. Welcome to my Katarina Guide for the mode Dominion.
Kata's a great champ. She can deals tons of Damage, easily escape and will bring enemies to flame like hell. If you know when & where to fight no one can stop you. But if you don't know you're dead before you can spin around. So practice her more & more, learn the other champs & you're "unstoppable".
Pros / Cons
+ Really high damage
+ No mana
+ Awesome passiv
+ That Cat-Skin. Looks a bit Nekolike. ;)
- Not that usefull early game
- Will get focused
- Will get CC'd
- Useless anyway if you dont know how to fight
Katarina deals magic damage but she needs to get on enemies to fight. And she gets no mana so it wouldn't be useless to go Utillity. So a char who fight in front of the enemies needs to be a bit more tanky then other Mages. So Resistance , Hardiness , Veteran's Scars & Tenacity are your most important Masteries to survive the start of the game. But don't forget that we need to deal Damage. That's why Ardor is perfect in the Deffensive. And also Archmage's Savvy , Sorcery & Archaic Knowledge will give you nice bonus damage and Cooldownreduction to deal the damage faster.
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration - In Combination with your Sorcerer's Shoes you got 28.55 MPen. If the enemy won't buy MResi you can nearly deal true damage. Awesome?!
Greater Seal of Scaling Ability Power - This is the place for ManaRegen seals but katarina doesn't got Mana so we go for more damage.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power - I think i dont need anything to say. Just more awesome damage.
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power - Yes you should go Greater Quintessence of Scaling Ability Power but you really need the Ap for the start.
Ghost: Mobillity is a must in Dominion. You can escape more easilly, get faster to a tower & the most important fact is that you'll be faster at top tower at the start.
Flash: It's like a free Shunpo. There are many ways how to use this spell. Escape a useless fight, get away from a fight and go in after losing focus on yourself, go for a low-life enemy & some others.
Exhaust: This is a great spell to fight enemies. You can use it to get easilly after them or to hold them in your ult for longer time. It also can be used to slow an enemy and get your freaking hot *** back.
Ignite: Who don't like more damage? This spell can help you to kill an enemy even if he ran away. But this spell also got a great passiv. If your enemy is a char like Fiddlesticks who can heal alot, Ignite will reduce this healing by 50 %!
- Voracity: It's maybe the most awesome passiv in dominion. You'll get 25 Gold per Kill/Assist and your cooldowns get reduced by 15 second. So if you kill an enemy with a skillcombo, you can use this combo again without any cd (except of the Death Lotus. And because dominion is a mode where you'll always be in a fight as Katarina your passiv will work the whole time if you are good.
- Bouncing Blade (Q):This is your only one range attack. It'll jump to an enemy and if there's another in range it'll jump over to his head. It can be used to start the fight or to get an enemy off if he want to run away with low life.
- Killer Instincts (W):Wow what a skill. It's a half Ignite if you use it in Combination with Bouncing Blades or a freaky tanky skill in Combination with Shunpo. So here's one of section you should perfectly know. If the enemy is a char like Fiddlesticks or Vladimir you should use Sinister Steel -> Bouncing Blades. If he isn't a char who can heal use Sinister Steel -> Shunpo.
- Shunpo (E): Oh i love this skill. It's free Flash to any objective in range. For mobillity it's not that good like Kassadins Riftwalk but it deals way more damage. And if you kill an enemy or get an assist you can jump again. If you really want to jump about the whole map go with a Teemo in your team and say him where he should place his Noxious Trap
- Death Lotus (R):Damage, damage, damage. This'll deal very high damage to a nearby enemy. The only problem - If you get CC'd it'll stop & u wasted your ult. That's the reason why you should know when to use it. Wait for the CC of the enemies & then use it. They only can get away..or die. If you know they can't get away that fast & you really want to kill'em use Exhaust before or buy Rylai's Crystal Scepter for a slowly, painfull death. Oh and if you'll get a tripple kill..you can use it again.
Ability Sequence Order
At the start of the game spend a point on every skill. Then max Shunpo first and everytime Death Lotus is ready -> skill it. Then go for Bouncing Blades for more damge and Sinister Steel last.
:In my opinion this are the only boots for Katarina. Many Katarina players go Ionian Boots of Lucidity but i think they're useless in Dominion. If you kill someone you don't got any Cd on your spells, so why cd-reduction?
:Just an awesome Item on Katarina. It gives you Hp, so you can survive for longer time - Ap for more damage and the best thing : A slow. In Combination with Death Lotus the enemy can't run away.
:The Infinity Edge in Ap. Need i say more?
- :Ok. What's wrong with this item? Ap, ad, lifesteal, spell-vamp, 300 damage & a slow? This let you survive for freaking long time & because your Bouncing Blades and Death Lotus also use Ad it's perfect.
- :A great item if there are many champs in enemy team which just attack with Ad. And if you know they'll focus you in Teamfight, use the active of this item and they cant hit you anymore
- :More ap and more MPen. Even if the enemies will stack MResi you'll still deal huge damage.
How to : Dominion with Katarina
I always start with 2 Amplifying Tome and Boots of Speed, going mid.
After capturing mid, use ghost and run to your mates top. Try to kill someone with low hp with Shunpo. After that, use Shunpo again on another enemy in combination with Sinister Steel and throw your Bouncing Blades. If no one dies, just autohit them and wait for your skills. If you did fine the top tower is yours and you can hold him or recall for Hextech Revolver and Sorcerer's Shoes. After that you should run around the map, capturing your own points if enemies took them, try to kill an enemy if he tries to capture your point and kill'em in "Jungle".If you got enough gold for Hextech Gunblade -> Buy it. It doesn't give you Hp like Rylai's Crystal Scepter but it also got the deathly slow. If your buff is ready, go and collect him. You'll see that only Shunpo will deal 1/3 of their life. Your stats after a li'l time should be 5|0 or something like that. Just good.
Why should you play Katarina?