Riven Build Guide by TheKaoticShift
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hi, this is my indepth guide to creating a awesome AD Riven :) I'm sorry if it is a little clumsy as it is my first time making a build. Hope everyone likes it.
Credits go to jhoijhoi for the great template which can be found here
Pros / Cons
+ Very mobile
+ Good AE abilities
+ Abilities only rely on CD
+ Very strong late game
+ Shield ability allows for defense against nukes
+ Ultimate gives more bonus damage to all abilities
+ Easily killed early game
+ Very relient on items
+ Ki Burst stun is very short
+ AE damage from Ki Burst and Broken Wings is very limited
+ Passive is hard to master
+ Easily out positioned in a fight
When choosing the master trees for Riven what I wanted to focus on was AD, armour penetration and CD reduction. This in mind I chose to go 22/0/8 and focused on Sorcery , Sunder and Havoc .
- greater quintessence of desolation: This very good early game to add some damage to each attack before the opponent champions can build armour.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: Because all rivens abilities use AD for bonus damage, aquiring as much AD as possible can help secure those extra kills that you normally might not get. It also gives more protection for when Valor is used.
- Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction: Riven is highly dependent on CD reduction to dominate team fights. The use of this combined with the item Youmuu's Ghostblade helps to reduce all ability CD's by 5.85% and 20% respectively.
- Greater Seal of Armor: To make up for Riven being a very squishy champion early game, greater seal of resiliance gives that extra armour making her able to take more hits and last longer in fights.
Exhaust can be used in place of ignite so that instead of getting the last hits with ignite you are able to get more normal attacks in before the enemy dives to their tower
- Runic blade:Every ability that is used causes her blade to gain a charge which adds bonus damage to her next normal attack. Her blade can charge up to three times. Mastering this passive is the key to mastering Riven
- Broken wings:This is the first of Rivens AE abilities. Broken Wings can be cast up to three times. The first two casts causes riven to deal damage to targets infront of her and the third cast causes her to jump into the air and slam downwards causing enemies to be thrown a small distance back.
- Ki burst:This is Rivens AE stun. It only lasts for 0.75 secs but is very useful when ganking an enemy or helping an ally escape. With this build it also does 500+ damage late game when Blade of the Exile is active.
- Valor: Riven dashes forward and gains a shiled that protects her from a certain amount of damage. This is a very good ability when needing to escape from a fight or close the gap to an enemy champion to land the finishing blow.
- Blade of the exile:This is Rivens ultimate, when used it gives her an added 20% AD which adds power to all her abilities and normal attacks. When used, it can be activated again to perfom a powerful finishing blow called Wind slash which damages all targets in its path doing damage based on the amount of health they are missing.
I like to max out Ki Burst early in the game because it does nice damage and stuns the opponent but manly because its CD reduces every level. Then Broken Wings because that is the main damage output for Riven when teamed up with her ultimate. Finally i max out Valor because in my view it is mainly used to creat space between you and enemy champions or close the gap to them.
- The reason I have chosen these boots is because of the CD reduction which enables the summoner to cast Rivens powerful abilities more often.
- This is a very good item for Riven because of the CD reduction that it gives and also the armour penetration. The movement speed that the active provides is also comes in handy when chasing or avoiding enemies.
- The most important item of all because of the massive AD bonus it gives. It also provides a useful boost to critical hit chances.
- Mainly used to last longer in fights and also replace health potions mid to late game. Gives a nice AD bonus also.
- Another Infinity Edge to give Riven more power.
- This was my late game choice to try and counter enemy champions such as Master Yi and Xin Zhao because of the high armour addition and that it returns 30% of the damage taken as magic damage.
Played solidly laning top with a support Taric whos heal came very handy at times. I was disappointed with the 13-3 game because the opposing team surrendered at 24 minutes.
All in all Riven is a very strong and devastating champion whos abilities when played well can cripple a whole enemy team allowing dominance across the field.
This has been my first ever build so if you liked it and it worked for you I ask that you upvote this build. If for any reason you find flaws in this build or it just did not work in a match and you find it necessary to downvote it, please leave a comment on what was wrong and I will promptly address those reasons.
Thank you for looking at my build and I hope everyone has the amount of success with it as I have :)