First Major Buy
Hello! I'm cyberskull a.k.a Sword Art Natsu and I play on the EU West server. I've been a League of Legends player since 2010. My highest division was Platinum IV (Season 3 and Pre-Season 4) and I finished Season 5 in Platinum V on my main account as well as Gold V on my second account. The roles I've played the most are Top Lane and Support but I play all lanes and I am decent in all of them. Right now I am playing mostly Jungle and AD Carry.
If you have any questions for me ask them via:
- Skype (terminator_xp)
- PM on Mobafire
- Tweet at me on twitter (@SwordArtNatsu)
- League (Sword Art Natsu, EU West and HeavenlyRegalia, EU West)
- Ask.fm (ask.fm/Sword_Art_Natsu)
- Retrospring (https://retrospring.net/SwordArtNatsu)
Anyways, welcome to my guide for Katarina, the Sinister Blade! This is definitely not an amazing guide or anything. It is just a decent guide by an average League player. If you're looking to pick up Katarina as a champion or just learn a thing or two about her (like what to build or what runes to get) then keep on reading!
Katarina is an Ability Power focused Champion who excels at Assassinating high-priority targets and killing off an entire enemy team thanks to her passive. She's good at bursting squishies and damaging everyone thanks to her multi-target/AoE spells. She's also a good pubstomp champion for low rating games but you need to know what you're doing and you need to know how to carry your teammates out. Also, she can be played both mid and top depending on her opponent.
Why play Katarina you ask? She has a cool personality, she looks cool and she's not that hard to play. The only thing that is hard about her is getting out of laning phase and knowing when to go in and when not to once you're team fighting. Also, it takes some time to master her as with all champions. Hopefully this guide will help you out in becoming a better Katarina player~!
Special thanks to Janitsu, the person who made the guide graphics in this guide. You can check his Graphics Shop by clicking on the link below
Pros / Cons
+ Resourceless Champion
+ Multi-Target Ultimate
+ Easy to pick up and learn
+ Decent at farming
+ Good roamer
+ No skillshots
- Ultimate easily interrupted
- Often focused if she starts snowballing
- Her kit has no built-in CC
Sorcery -> Obviously you would want this spell since you're a spell caster.
Expose Weakness -> Good for letting your team do more damage.
Natural Talent -> The spell vamp Vampirism offers isn't that great. Maxing this over Vampirism is better as it increases your damage. And besides, spell vamp has been quite weak in-general for 3 seasons now? Spell vamp just isn't worth it anymore.
Battle Trance -> A good mastery for a damage heavy champion like Katarina.
Savagery -> Helps with cs-ing which is Kat's main focus in lane.
Secret Stash -> More hp regen = more time you can spend in lane = more time you can use to farm and get your items.
Merciless -> Another obvious choice since your other choice is Meditation and you don't use mana.
Dangerous Game -> Great mastery on Kat since she is a champion with resets.
Precision -> Obvious choice. Increases your magic penetration which in turn increase your damage.
Thunderlord's Decree -> Adds very well to your quick bursts of damage that you can do.
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Scaling Health
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration - Katarina deals mostly magic damage and that's why we need Magic Penetration when playing her. Not much else to say. If you're having a lot of trouble last hitting with her you could try Hybrid Penetration Marks as well but I highly recommend sticking with the Magic Penetration ones.
- Greater Seal of Armor - Against an AD Champion like Kha'Zix or Zed, I would use these seals. They reduce the damage you take early on and help you get through the laning phase.
- Greater Seal of Health - If you're not facing a heavy AD Champion, Health Seals are a good choice. After the 4.5 patch, they are quite strong and with 9 of them you get a bonus of 72 Health at level 1.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist - If against an AP Champion who has high burst damage ( Syndra, LeBlanc, etc) it's good to get Magic Resist Glyphs to reduce the damage he deals to you.
- Greater Glyph of Ability Power - If you're not facing an AP Champion with high burst and you think you can get away with using AP Glyphs instead, then go ahead and do it.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power - Flat AP Quints = Almost 15 AP at lvl 1 without any items masteries or runes for AP. Move Speed Quints are the only other option but you lose out on a lot of early game damage. However if the Move Speed ones work for you they are viable as well.
Flash - Helps you make plays, escape and/or position yourself for your Ultimate. This Summoner Spell is a must for Katarina.
Ignite - Ignite lets you get kills and Katarina is a champion for killing. One thing to note is that you can cast ignite while using Death Lotus so if you use your ultimate on someone, tag him with ignite and he escapes on really low health you'll probably grab the kill unless he gets really lucky and survives with 10 hp.
Exhaust - Good for shutting down someone in a team fight. I don't use it a lot but it's decent on Katarina. I'd most likely take it when going Top Lane against a bruiser that relies on auto-attacks ( Tryndamere, Jax, Fiora, etc)
Heal - After the 4.5 Patch, Heal is quite strong. It's basically a mini Shurelya/mini-Ghost with a heal. If you're in a tough match-up, LeBlanc for example, you can take heal just to survive the laning phase.
1 point in your Q at lvl 1 is good because if you're planing on invading your Q will bounce to people and deal damage to everyone nearby. If you pick up your dagger it'll do even more damage. Even if you're not invading getting a point at lvl 1 in your Q is still good for the harass/last hitting so I recommend doing that. The point in E at lvl 2 is so you can escape early level ganks. Finally grab 1 point in your W and then max out Q.
Voracity (Passive): This passive is what makes or breaks a Katarina player. Properly using it can get you easy penta kills. I recommend learning your cooldowns at all levels if you want to abuse this passive as much as you can.
Bouncing Blades: This is your bread and butter spell. You'll be using it for poking, 1v1 and farming.
- Smartcasting this ability will help out a lot if you get a reset from your passive.
- If you don't want to push, don't harass your opponent with this spell if he's near his minions. Self-explanatory but forgetting not to do it is easy so try not to forget.
- Great tool for farming. After your get some Ability Power, Q-ing and then picking up your dagger can easily clear minion waves.
Preparation: - The spell that adds to your damage a lot if you can use it well.
- Use this in combination with your Q to farm easily.
- Abuse the short burst of movement speed this ability gives you. Use it to juke more easily or to heavily increase your damage.
Shunpo: - Your gap closer and escape tool. Grabbing your daggers puts this on a super low cooldown meaning you can be very mobile with it.
- Can't be used on wards anymore. But it can be used on minions, monsters, enemies and allied champion pets.
- Be careful when using Shunpo. It is your only escape tool. You don't want to Shunpo into an enemy just as his entire team is coming from the fog of war.
- As with your Q, it's a good idea to smartcast this ability for any potential resets you might get from your passive.
Death Lotus: - Your low cooldown ultimate. It deals a ton of damage if you can get off the full channel but it is easily interrupted.
- Not all types of Crowd Control can stop Death Lotus. Knock-ups, knock-backs, silences, stuns and pulls can interrupt it. Slows and snares can't stop it.
- The ability doesn't have huge range so make sure you position yourself properly when casting it.
- Zhonya's Hourglass will stop your Ultimate so DO NOT cast it when Ulting.
Farming is really important for almost any champion. Early game Katarina isn't very strong and can have trouble farming but after level 4 it gets easier. I usually farm with the following combo:
Use Q on a minion wave (which will bring most of them at low hp), get them all clumped up near your dagger and pick it up to finish them off with your slash. Simple right? Yes it is but don't forget about the enemy mid laner. Be careful if he tries to harass you while you do this. And also try not to take too much damage from the minions.
Late game Katarina farms extremely well and easy so I've got nothing to say about that.
In the Early Game you should prioritize farming above all else. If you can get a free kill that's great but don't stop farming just so you can harass. Your early game damage is not that great so there's really no point in being too aggressive (and missing farm while doing it). If you're about to get ganked use your W and your E to escape as best as you can. You can start being more aggressive after level 6 but that's your call.
Roaming is also an important part about Katarina. If the enemy mid laner is pushing you too hard then stay in your lane and farm or try to kill him. However, if he's not, push the lane all the way to his turret and find a lane to gank.
In Team Fights your job is pretty simple. Deal as much damage as you can, stay alive for as long as you can and cast your Ultimate at the right time. Once her enemies start dying, Katarina can kill an entire team thanks to her passive. Don't run into the enemy team like a fool and cast your Ultimate right away only to get CC-ed and killed. You're still useful without it but you're way more useful when you do use it properly. Try to go in when you see someone low and you're sure you can kill him and get the reset on your cooldowns. After that, proper target selection and quick reactions is what you'll need in order to kill the remaining enemies.
In this chapter I'll just be adding stuff like videos, photos, etc. so the guide will be more fun and interesting.
Bleach song for playing Kat:
Katarina's Champion Spotlight by RiotGamesInc:
A video on Katarina provided by ImpureFeel q0p
A Katarina kill compilation provided by Halwadar
TheGMG's Scores while using this guide:
pablomittens' scores while using this guide:
Emikadon's scores while using the guide:
Vocaloidas' scores while using the guide:
Fun facts about Katarina:
- Katarina was designed by Coronach.
- Katarina's family name, Du Couteau, is derived from French, which means "Of the Knife".
- Katarina is the sister of Cassiopeia, making them one of five pairs of sibling champions. The other siblings champions include Kayle and Morgana, Garen and Lux, Nasus and Renekton, and Darius and Draven.
- Katarina's Shunpo is possibly a reference to a fictional technique in the popular manga series Bleach. Its name is Japanese (written as 瞬步) and means "Flash Steps," indicating that the person can move between two spots in the blink of an eye. (like I said xD)
- Katarina's dance references from the last dance scene in the movie Napoleon Dynamite
Just wanna thank everyone for the 10 000 views. You guys are awesome! When I made the guide I didn't expect such positive votes so I'm glad I did actually make this guide.
Update: Seems like I hit 20 000+ views so thank you guys! You're awesome =D !!
Update #2: 80 000+ views and 2nd place among the Katarina guides..really..I'm a happy panda c: ..thanks guys!
Update #3: 100,000 views...I'm so proud ;_; thanks guys!! <3
Update #4: 500,000 views.. o.O ...if I make it to 1 mil I'll kill myself out of happiness...jk but thanks for so many views guys! You're the best!
Update #5: We're almost there..almost..1,000,000 views. Yay! :D
Update #6: Woooohooo!! :D 1 000 000 views. Thank you all!
Update #7: 2 000 000 views O.O holy moly..Thank you~! ^^
TL;DR - Thanks for the positive votes and the 1 million+ views! Special thanks to Sr Cookie, jhoijhoi, ImpureFeel q0p, ilke994, pablomittens, N0YKK, effinvices and Janitsu.
Thanks for reading my guide! I hope I helped you out in becoming a better Katarina player! I know that my guide isn't the best Katarina guide but it's okay (in my opinion) for average players (like me) so I really hope you liked it!
Please comment and rate. Tell me what I can change or what needs to be done to improve the guide. Once again thanks for reading and good luck on the Fields of Justice