Lucian Build Guide by thatsnotmypirate
Beta Made Guide - *Read First*
This is not a first day guild. During the last guide I made (aatrox) there was confusion and a lot of people down voted for a first day guide(Even with the down vote, still top aatrox guide). So I didn't make it clear on that guide, but I will here. I belong to the beta servers and I played and tested my builds non-stop before the release of the champion. I have been playing Lucian since july, and seeing that it is late august, that means I have been playing him for well over a month. Which has been more then enough time for me to play and get to know this champion very well because I have over 100 games play with him. (Played three + games a day with him over 40ish days)
Some Stats do change on release, but his core game play and build remains the same.
Now that is out of the way. Onto the guide!
Lucian is a mobile adc. He does very well with high damage and less attack speed then most adcs. He is a burst, hit and run type of adc and it makes him a very nice pick for a CC heavy team.
He himself has no cc or way of locking down champions so he is best on a team that can make up for this lack of cc. Also cc supports like Leona, Taric, and Thresh are the best picks for him.
Pros / Cons
+ Great poke range and damage
+ Really good at trading in lane
+ Very mobile with dash and removing slows
+ Ult has amazing damage if aimed well.
+ Passive procs on hits making on hit builts very strong on him.
+ Dash also goes through walls.
- Hard champion for new players. High skill champion.
- No type of cc at all making him very team reliant.
- Dash only removes slows not all cc.
- You are outclassed with your burst but 1v1 a cc champion is still hard
- Very hard to use ult
- Needs the right support to assist him
- Q has to have a target to fire
Flash The most powerful summoner spell in the game. Great for jumping walls, getting kills, getting away. Everything.
Ignite True damage that will have players saying "****ing Ignite!" all day long. Great for making sure you get that first blood or getting a kill you may not have gotten.
Barrier Becoming more popular this season on ADC. This skill will save your life, gives a pretty huge shield that is great for baiting kills or getting away alive.
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Life Steal
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
Greater Mark of Attack Damage - Lucian is an adc that benefits from more ad then attack speed because of his passive. This will give you amazing early game damage with q and your passive.
Greater Seal of Armor - Most the damage you will be taking is from the other ADC. Lucian is a great trader, this makes you even better at it. If the other adc is foolish enough to try and trade, you with high burst and early game armor will most likely come out on top.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist - This extra MR will help you out till you buy some of your own, but you won't normally be able to till later in the game so this helps you out a bunch!
Greater Quintessence of Life Steal - In my other guides I have stressed why I don't like life steal quins. But because of your passive this makes these runes very good on you. This on top of a Doran's Blade and support Taric will keep you in lane all day long.
Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration - Anyone who has played him knows he is crazy mana starved. This helps make up for that a lot and keeps you from having to buy mana items if you aren't going a Manamune build
Lightslinger - After using one of Lucian's abilities, his next auto attack within 6 seconds will strike twice. The second shot deals 50-75% of Lucian's AD based on level, but fully applies on-hit effects. Minions and monsters take full damage from the second shot. The second shot can critically strike.This is your bread and butter.
Your control over your passive will be key from setting you apart of good and bad Lucian players. This is why he doesn't have to build as much attack speed as other champions and can go for more AD and crits. The 2nd shot can crit so this is like having a ranged mastery yi which sounds OP, and it kind of is. This is why this passive has to proc on skills and not every 4th attack like with yi.
Piercing Light - After a 0.35 second delay, Lucian fires a laser in the direction of the target enemy, dealing physical damage to all enemies in a 1100-unit line. Minions take 75% damage.
Another hard to master skill. This skill has a short cast range but its beam goes past the cast range. Over all it has a long range, but the downside to this skill is it has to have a target. So it's not like ezreal's Mystic Shot. Learning how to line up this skill isn't hard, but knowing how to position yourself will be the key to mastering this skill.
Ardent Blaze - Lucian fires a shot that explodes in a cross pattern upon hitting an enemy or reaching the end of its path, dealing magic damage and marking enemies hit for 6 seconds.
If Lucian damages a marked target with his basic attacks or abilities, he gains 40 movement speed for 2 seconds. This does not consume the mark.
This is a skill shot that blows up in a star shape, which is forgiving for people bad a skill shots. Even if you miss you can skill end up marking targets. It has a 90% AP ratio making items like Sheen not to bad on him. The mark last 6 seconds and with max cooldowns when max this skill pretty much can keep a target marked forever. Making you almost impossible to out run if your chasing down a foe with no cc. This skill only gets damage and a small deceased cooldown by leveling it, so I would make it last or 2nd.
Relentless Pursuit - Lucian dashes a short distance and removes all slowing effects. Relentless Pursuit's cooldown resets if Lucian scores a kill or assist during The Culling.
This skill will save you so many times. It's great for getting away and chasing down foes. Also Nasus will hate you forever. I max this 2nd because it has a huge cooldown and it goes down by quite a bit by leveling it.
The Culling Hold on to your pants. Got to cover a lot of info here.
Lucian starts firing shots in the target direction for 3 seconds, each shot dealing physical damage to the first enemy it hits. The amount of shots fired scales with his attack speed. The Culling is considered a channeled ability and it can be interrupted, but Lucian can move freely (including movement abilities) without interrupting it himself.
Reactivate The Culling to cancel the ability early.
The Culling deals quadruple damage to minions but not monsters.
This skill is very appropriately named because it will breed out the bad lucian players from the good ones. This skill can be used in many ways. It can be used to get a double dash if you need to get a kill and get out. It can be used to burst down someone, force them from chasing you right down (zoning, also a reason for the name). This skill can burst through minion waves. Also if you don't know what monsters and minion are. Minions are the ones that come through the lane in waves. Monsters are jungle creeps (also dragon and baron are monsters). So if I see anyone of you using the culling on baron or dragon I will find you and stab you.
Alright now for NUMBERS NERDS!
PHYSICAL DAMAGE PER SHOT: 40 / 50 / 60 (+25% bonus AD) (+10% AP)
SHOTS FIRED: 7.5 + (7.5 / 9 / 10.5 × attack speed at the time of cast)
MAXIMUM SHOTS: 26 / 30 / 34
MAXIMUM TOTAL DAMAGE: 1040 / 1500 / 2040 (+650 / 750 / 850% bonus AD) (+260 / 300 / 340% AP)
All of you: "BUT PIRATE, YOU SAID ATTACK SPEED ISN"T THAT IMPORTANT ON LUCIAN BUT THIS SAYS BLABLAABRUEWRBOHDSDREP" Shut up. You see how it says Maximum shots? This means there is a cap so even if you go all attack speed, you can still only max out at 34 shots at 16. But there is not a cap on damage. This means you need to find the mix of AD you want and AS. But going AD is the safer of the two bets. Also we shouldn't be building around your ult, even more so because it's so very situational. The skill is easy to dodge if they aren't cc downed, or maybe you pick the wrong angle and even then the chances you hit every shot on that person is unlikely. So build around your hero, not just his ult.
Blade of the Ruined King
- Attack speed isn't something I hit to much on this build so the extra starting attack speed from these boots is great. You can sell them late game if you think you are fine where your AS is at.
- As I said before, Lucian does very well with more AD then Attack speed, also I don't believe in rush bork even if its very good on Lucian. The huge damage from this items makes your burst and skills very scary and gives you great pushing power and presser on the lane.
- This use to be Phantom dancer. But seeing I have so many items that fall into attack speed, I felt this left room to add IE. The massive damage, crit and passive are perfect on this AD heavy build and will have you bursting people down all day long.
- So why Trinity Force in a core build? The new passive on tri is amazing on lucian, makes you feel like you playing vayne haha. This item was changed and it just makes it even better on lucian. His passive on top of shen passive is one heck of a punch, on top of that the passive does 200% damage now. Good bit of hp and everything. It just works great on him. But if you don't like it, look at build 2. Its the standard adc build.
- No build is complete without some armor pen. At this point in the game you most likely are starting to be counter built if your doing well. Last Whisper goes threw 35% armor. Amazing item. You can also get Black Clever if you don't like this item.
- A lot of players love rushing this and if you do switch it with Blood. It's a great late game item because of its on hit effect and eats tanks alive. Its on hit works with your passive making it even better. Good active, life steal and some attack speed. Just a great item.
Supports Match Up
Here are some support match up I find very strong for Lucian. Remember because he has no cc, he is best matched up with champions that have good cc to make up for this.
- My personal favorite support for Lucian. Remember how I said Lucian is good at trading? Everything taric brings makes your trades better. His armor aura reduces the other adc damage. His heals keep you in lane and health topped off after a trade. Also brings the stun you need to pull off your burst combo. So good.
My second favorite. Leona has hard cc and her passive is great. Once she hits level 6, you both can just rail the other lane into the ground.
I know I know that **** has your wife in a can, but if you put that aside you make a great combo. He has the cc you need to poo on there faces. A good one will be able to pull you out of tight spots, and with your dash, it makes you very hard to kill. You guys make a great team, as ironic as it is.
How To Lane ***New Video**
How To lane Video. This video may still be processing if its not up here yet.
New Ladder Anxiety and Questions?
Just uploaded a new Ladder Anxiety which you can check out here! Thanks for all the support guys!
Also Feel free to message me on here or you can find me on youtube or my live stream!
ThatsNotmyPirate's Live Stream