Not Updated For Current Season
Hello everybody, i thought long time about creating a guide and i think now it is the time to do this. I played Morgana many times and thought much about how to play her. Fact is that Morgana isnt a "oh lets get fed and rape them all" champ like yi or trynda. Also fact is, if you got a bad team, you have no chance to do something alone.
So if you dont like to play support/damagesupport champs, you dont have to read this guide. This build lives from assists and not from kills.
Aswell i don't recommend this guide to ppl who play morgana first or second time. If you you're good with her, it's in my opinion one of the most effective style to play her!
Pros / Cons
+ Awesome farming with
+ Much CC
- No primary escapeskills
- Squishy if no good farm
- Manaproblems early -> We compensate that with manareg runes and Clarity
Start with a Amplifying Tome and a Health Potion. As far as you are support, we're heading the bottom lane. Your primary goal is to farm early with Tormented Soil and try to harass the enemy champions on the lane with your Dark Binding, Tormented Soil combo. Try to stay on the lane as long as possible. You can always heal yourself up with Soul Siphon your passive.
The device is: Stay defensive! Surviving and no kills are better then dying with a kill. You will lose more stacks with dying then you get with killing one!
Ionian Boots of Lucidity - Cooldownreduction. This is actually a must. Your goal is to get 40% CDR for having your Soul Shackles ready for every teamfight.
Mejai's Soulstealer - You are a supporter. Your goal is not to die and to get as many assists as possible with your ulti. You will get stacks even without killing. Your not carry and not a nuker so its not important to get them as fast as possible. Better to let the kills the carrier and disclaim a kill.
Leviathan - This is i probably the item in this build on which the most people think: What the hell? Actually its no joke. In this build you are a semi tank and wanna survive survive as long as possible in teamfights. For this you need more HP. Fact: Its cheap, its extraordinary and it will work awesome for us. Like Mejai's Soulstealer you will get the stacks with your assists. You get stronger and stronger. Cool, isn't it?
Banshee's Veil - Self explaining. You normally get focused in a teamfight. So it's awesome because you get HP, MP, MagicResistance and the spellshield. So if they dont have 10k cc's in their team, you can bring your Soul Shackles throught almost everytime.
Rabadon's Deathcap - You wont get AP Items except Mejai's Soulstealer. With this item you can push your AP hard. At this state, your spells start to hurt hard in teamfights and their carries will fear you like no one else.
Shurelya's Reverie - This is just a theoretical part. The games i played her ended always at or before Rabadon's Deathcap. But i think this item is great support for your ulti. Cast your ult and activate Shurelya's Reverie. Your enemies cant get out of the range and your carries can reach their carries really fast. I think this works.
If you think you have not enought AP you can get also Zhonya's Hourglass, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, Archangel's Staff.
- As far as you got no escape mechanism, i usually play her with ghost. Ghost is allowed to use it defensive (if you are getting ganked -> Black Shield yourself and put Ghost on. Aswell offensive in a teamfight: Initiate maybe with a Dark Binding, wait until your maintank goes in, cast Black Shield on yourself, activate Ghost, run in and activate Soul Shackles. Thanks to your Leviathan and Banshees Veil you normally have enougth HP to get your Soul Shackles throught.
- I think i dont have to explain this one. Try to lane with any other Manadependant champs so both of you can profit from it.
- There are friends of ghost and friends of flash. Both will do their Job well. If you have an Amumu or Nunu or any other AOE ult champ, maybe flash will do the job. They initiate with their ult and you can flash in and activate Soul Shackles.
- Also a usefull spell when you are laning and the enemy tries to hide in the bushes. Also nice for preventing ganks and reduce your teams cost for wards.
- This is also very helpfull for you. If your low or wanna go buy, you can recall and teleport back to your lane. You wont lose almost no exp. Also for late its great because you are very mobile for ganging and deffing.
Not to use
- Due to Black Shield i think Cleanse is not necessary.
- The only reason for ignite is Dr. Mundo imho. Your supporter and not a killer.
Earlygame - Double Lane
Go to the bottomlane and try to farm as much as possible. Try to harass the enemies but dont be to offensive. Surviving is more important than killing and dying. Get Boots of Speed and Mejai's Soulstealer as soon as possible.
The best thing is, if you get another manadependant allie on your lane, because of your Clarity. If not, its no problem. Normal case you will dominate the lane with your Tormented Soil and harrasing your enemies with Dark Binding while your ally damages them aswell.
Earlygame - Solo Lane
Also playing her on a solo lane is absolutely no problem. Try to farm as much as you can with your Tormented Soil. Remember you will regen thanks to your passive spell vamp. Play defensive, farm, try to stay near your tower because of their junglers/ganks. In case you're gettin ganked, cast Black Shield on yourself and activate Ghost. If they dont gang you with at least three people, you will normaly get away everytime.
Be prepared for any ganks from the mid. Buy wards. If your mid comes to gank the enemies prepare yourself. You must hit with your Dark Binding otherwise the gang will fail. If they got disable or magic damage, cast your Black Shield on your damage dealer.
Try to ward the dragon and if their jungler will solo him, kill him with your lanemate and the mid. In this case the best thing is to get the dragon after by yourself.
If your lanemate can hold the lane for some minutes, you can also try to gang mid or top. But dont risk too much! You need to get stacks and not to lose stacks by dying.
Lategame is your game. The big teamfights will approach and Morgana will be the key champion in your team. Let your tank initiate, cast Black Shield on yourself, run in and cast Soul Shackles. Try to catch their carry with Dark Binding and try to land a good Tormented Soil. Ignore their tanks or catch them with Dark Binding so your carries can get through their tankline and kill their supporters/carries.
I know it's an unusual style of playing Morgana but i think its really effective. Most people dont like to play support chars because you wont get many kills. The most important thing for this build is: Hope you get a good team. Without team, every Morgana will fall...