get
prime

Trundle Build Guide by Ahpulzz

944K
Views
32
Comments
37
Votes
League of Legends Build Guide Author Ahpulzz

Report Their Support for Trolling (In-Depth Sup. Trundle)

Ahpulzz Last updated on September 15, 2016
Like Build on Facebook Tweet This Build Share This Build on Reddit

Team 1

Ability Sequence

1
4
5
17
18
Ability Key Q
3
12
13
14
15
Ability Key W
2
7
8
9
10
Ability Key E
6
11
16
Ability Key R





Not Updated For Current Season

The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.



Masteries

Fury
 
 
Sorcery
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Vampirism
 
 
Natural Talent
 
 
 
 
 
Bounty Hunter
Oppressor
 
 
 
 
 
Battering Blows
 
 
Piercing Thoughts
 
 
 
 

Ferocity: 0

5/
Wanderer
 
 
Savagery
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Merciless
 
 
5/
Meditation
 
 
 
 
 
1/
Bandit
Dangerous Game
 
 
 
 
 
Precision
 
 
Intelligence
 
 
 
 

Cunning: 12

5/
Recovery
 
 
Unyielding
 
 
 
 
 
Explorer
1/
Tough Skin
 
 
 
 
 
5/
Runic Armor
 
 
Veteran's Scars
 
 
 
 
 
Insight
1/
Perseverance
 
 
 
 
 
Swiftness
 
 
5/
Legendary Guardian
 
 
 
 

Resolve: 18



Threats to Trundle with this build

Threat
Low
High
Show all
Threat Champion Notes
2
Blitzcrank As long as you can avoid grabs from his turret, the only thing he has against you is Power Fist. After that, you can toss around this hunk of iron.
Guide Top

Welcome!

(Like pretty much all of the other images in the guide, I did not make the background.)



Kudos to my childish imagination and MS Paint for
making all of my dreams come true...



Guide Top

Introduction



Hey everyone!!!


_____My name is Ahpulzz and I've been on the rift since the beginning of Season 2. Starting from Silver II, I was able to reach Diamond in Season 4 and have remained so until recently achieving Masters! In all this time, I have always enjoyed experimenting with new build paths and unique play-styles for various champions in all roles. In this guide, I want to summarize something that I picked up fairly recently and have enjoyed ever since: Support Trundle.

_____Inspired by FNC Yellowstar's support Trundle pick versus SK Gaming in their 9th week during the 2015 European Summer Split, I was surprised at how well Trundle fared throughout the game with essentially no farm or damage. His choice ultimately proved to be viable because, as I will soon discuss, the benefits of putting Trundle in a supporting role proved to have much more impact than many would have expected.




It seems they assumed
Yellowstar was...
Trolling.




One of my favorite moments showing how
Support Trundle doesn't work.










My Stream!!!

This is not an obligation, of course, but as a masters support main I'll be playing a few ranked games everyday. Although I haven't established a set schedule as of late, I'll try to stream as many of them as I can for you guys! If you're interested in watching, use the highlighted link below or click on the big, purple Twitch logo to the right and enjoy!




Guide Top

Pro's & Con's



Now before we jump forwards into the guide, I just want to stress one thing. I am not trying to configure Trundle - the hardcore, 1v1 king of top and jungle - into a traditional support role. Essentially what I'm saying is that no amount of build changing, play-style altering, rune/mastery spec'ing, or summoner spell switching will ever turn this... > > > > > > > > >

...into

THIS...



Instead, what I've learned and am now offering to you all is a recently pioneered way of utilizing this incredibly fun and underrated champion. Even so, pretty much everything that you can do as Trundle support can still be done as a top, jungle, and even mid or adc (for all I care). This style of Trundle specifically revolves around the sacrifice of his all-too-well-known damage in order to bring out the full potential of his other strengths, namely his mobility and above all his zone-based crowd control.

Therefore, if you really wanted to know the Pro's & Con's of Trundle as a champion you might as well check any other Trundle guide - they'll all give you the same information. However, since we're talking specifically about support Trundle, the Pro's & Con's list shown below will display the important elements both lost and gained when comparing him as a bruiser and as a support.

____ What you'll lose ____


Some sustain.
  • You'll still have both your passive and ultimate, but a decent portion of your old sustain will be lost since you won't be able to build any life steal items.
A LOT of damage.
  • This alone takes away a lot of things Trundle excels at such as dueling, tower-shredding, and monster killing.
Camouflage
Some enemy focus. (*Good*)
  • What can I say? You're just not the troll you used to be. Although of course you'll still be getting hit a lot, it won't nearly be at the level of "kill this damn troll before he gives everyone rabies".

____ What you'll gain ____


Faster cooldowns, earlier.
  • Because you'll be maxing your E first, you'll be reducing the cooldowns of your most important ability earlier than you would as regular Trundle.
  • This is especially important for your E, Pillar of Ice, which you can pop up more often. This leads to...
More crowd control, earlier.
  • Leveling up your pillar first not only lowers the cooldown but also increases the slow from 30% to a maximum of 50%. This difference can mean a lot the longer an opponent stays within the slowing zone around the pillar.
More mobility... you guessed it - earlier.
  • Frozen Domain on top of Boots of Swiftness makes him stand out among other lumbering, tanky supports as he can traverse the map with ease. This makes him an excellent roamer when his laning duties are finished, putting out wards, carrying out ganks, and providing lots of additional pressure around the map.

Tank-shredding, without any damage.
  • One of the benefits of support Trundle is actually the fact that he has no damage items. His ultimate, Subjugate, works solely off of percentages so no matter how much more AD you have or don't have you'll always steal the same amount of health from your target.


Guide Top

When Should I Troll?



Before you delve into this section, know that I'm specifically talking about picking Trundle in ranked games / tournament matches. Never restrict yourself in any other game mode; just lock in whatever you want. >:D



Good Cues for Support Trundle

You could just instalock The Troll whenever you want, but there are also certain cues within Champion Select you can pick up on that favor having a support Trundle on your team:

  • 2 or more tanky champions on the enemy team, especially if one of them is the support.
  • Majority of the enemy team consists of champions without dashes or blinks. (i.e. Sivir, Miss Fortune, Viktor, etc.)
  • Your ADC has good self-peeling capabilities. (i.e. Ezreal, Lucian, etc.)
  • Your team fares well in extended fights. (i.e. Shyvana, Darius, etc.)
  • Your team has needs a champion that can both chase AND disengage.



Bad Cues for Support Trundle

Unfortunately, as versatile as he can be, Support Trundle - like any other champion - has his fair share of counters and may not be the best choice in all situations. Situations that make Support Trundle a less than favorable choice include:
  • Opposing teams that have no one particularly tanky.
  • Enemy champions with lots of mobility. (i.e. Fiora, Ahri, Ekko, etc.)
  • Enemy supports with good disengage and harass. (i.e. Janna, Lulu, Karma, etc.)
  • When your team needs a support that carries lots of hard CC, as Trundle has none.
  • You have an ADC that requires a lot of peel (i.e. Kog'Maw, Jinx, Miss Fortune, etc.)


Guide Top

Runes




Main Rune Set:

Greater Mark
of Armor


x9

+8.2 Armor
Total Cost: 1845 IP
Greater Seal
of Health


x9

+72 Health
Total Cost: 7380 IP
Greater Glyph of
Scaling Magic Resist


x9

+27 MR @ level 18
Total Cost: 1845 IP
Greater Quintessence
of Armor


x3

+12.9 Armor
Total Cost: 3075 IP

NET Total: 14145 IP


Pretty self-explanatory. Some may figure to get attack damage marks or quintessences. However, in most cases you're going to get hit much more than you'll hit back; it makes sense to take away as much extra damage as you can. Also, in case you didn't know, it's more worth it to get armor from quintessences and health from seals rather than the other way around, the primary reason being that armor seals got nerfed a while ago.

What these runes really do is carry you through the early game. Being as tanky as possible really lets you push your aggression because you'll take less damage from potential retaliation, and when you're being attacked, the lack of damage they do to you will ultimately end up having them wasting both their time and abilities. Additionally, it compliments your already great lane sustain, but I'll get into that momentarily.


Cheap/Aggressive Rune Set:
Greater Mark
of Attack Damage


x9

+8.5 Attack Damage
Total Cost: 3690 IP
Greater Seal
of Armor


x9

+9 Armor
Total Cost: 1845 IP
Greater Glyph of
Scaling Magic Resist


x9

+27 MR @ level 18
Total Cost: 1845 IP
Greater Quintessence
of Attack Damage


x3

+6.8 Attack Damage
Total Cost: 3075 IP

NET Total: 8610 IP


OVER FIVE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND...influence points cheaper than the main rune set. Not only that, but many of you aren't rocking neither armor marks nor armor quints to begin with. Most of the runes listed in this page are pretty commonly used so chances are you'll already have all of them at your disposal.

Unless you're against a very difficult counter match-up, at the very get-go of lane you'll want to play like you're Top Trundle with this rune page. Your level 1 Chomp + enhanced auto's will deal over-the-top crazy damage with all that extra AD, so make your best effort to use them through tough, aggressive play (for more details on this, check Trolling in Lane). Keep your limits in mind, however; you're not nearly as tanky as you should be.


Guide Top

Masteries







For the updated masteries, I focus heavily on health regeneration as opposed to extra health or summoner spell cooldowns. This is because a majority of Trundle's playstyle is based upon his ability to last throughout anything from small skirmishes to 5 on 5 teamfights. Extra health regen helps you last through the poke you'll endure during the laning phase, while the bonus healing and tenacity will keep you alive during teamfights.

I opt for Grasp of the Undying as my Keystone Mastery. While the damage transfer from Bond of Stone does indeed help Trundle peel for his carry, Grasp gives you the sustain and damage that pretty much guarantees that you'll win every 1v1 or 2v2 trade in the early game. And with that knowledge, your opponents will either have to respect you and back off or focus you during skirmishes. The latter is no big problem and is honestly what you want since your carry would be able to deal damage while remaining healthy, whereas you can use Grasp, your passive, and biscuits to regenerate any lost health.

Another interesting choice I've recently found was putting five points into Merciless instead of Meditation . It's a bummer to lose around 50 and above mana per minute in exchange, but Trundle - specifically in the early game - can do a lot of damage as a support. If you were to pair this mastery with Ignite and the aggressive rune page provided in the section above, you could dole out some serious hurt when the opposing bot lane's health reaches critical levels.


Guide Top

Summoner Spells






IMO you should always take flash with you, especially given your lack of escapes when it comes to impassable terrain. It additionally gives you that extra option of catching out enemies with Flash + Pillar of Ice or a simple Flash + Chomp if you're close enough.

Synergizes really well with Trundle. One of the greatest benefits of having the troll (not "a troll" - BIG difference...) on your team is that he can shut down specific targets with ease through stat-stealing. Chomp coupled with Exhaust utterly demolishes an ADC's damage, and can be critical towards winning fights. A less noticeable benefit but equally useful, exhaust adds to Trundle's average CC by giving him a reliable and effective way of slowing down enemies.

Not a bad summoner spell on support if you plan on going aggressive in lane. Situations where I would opt for Ignite over Exhaust regardless of the laning phase would be matchups against multiple heavy sustainers/healers such as Warwick, Vladimir, and Dr. Mundo, as well as teams that have no one in specific that needs to be exhausted.

I would recommend using this if you're experienced with Trundle and plan on being an additional threat to the enemy ADC. Later if/when you can buy Iceborn Gauntlet, you'll be dealing decent damage to squishy targets, making Ignite all the more dangerous.


Guide Top

Skills/Abilities



King's Tribute

Whenever an enemy dies near Trundle, he heals for 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6% of their maximum health.

So this passive... How does a small heal that only applies to yourself help you as a support?

How a small heal that only applies to yourself helps you as a support.




Chomp

Cooldown: 4
Mana Cost: 30


Trundle's next basic attack deals 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 (+ 0 / 5 / 10 / 15 / 20% AD) bonus physical damage and slows his target by 75% for 0.1 seconds.

After biting his target, Trundle gains 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 AD bonus attack damage for 8 seconds and reduces his target's attack damage by half that amount for the same duration.



Utilization:
  • Essentially your bread and butter ability - its cooldown is low, so spam this whenever you can on a nearby enemy.
  • As you gain attack damage from the bite, your opponent will lose half of whatever you gain. This will be important towards winning trades in lane and migitating enemy damage during teamfights.
  • You can bite a minion before attacking a turret or inhibitor for a little extra damage.
  • This ability cancels auto-attack animations, so use it right after your auto-attack to slightly increase your burst.



Frozen Domain

Cooldown: 15
Mana Cost: 60


Trundle coats the target area in ice for 8 seconds. While inside, he gains 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80% bonus attack speed, 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40% movement speed, and 20% increased healing and health regeneration from all sources.



Utilization:
  • Rather than placing it directly under you, always position your zone as far as you can towards the direction you want to go. (i.e. placing it in front while chasing an enemy, behind you when retreating)
  • Remaining in this zone grants you a 20% bonus in all forms of healing. This includes anything from Heal to King's Tribute to Subjugate.
  • If your mana permits and there are no threats nearby, use this to travel around the map faster.
  • This ability synergizes well with Chomp as the attack speed steroid naturally lets you make more use of the bonus attack damage. This is especially true when hitting turrets and neutral objectives like dragon.
  • Just as you can see the radius, so can your opponents. If you're trying to sneak into enemy territory to put down wards, cast Frozen Domain far enough away so that the radius doesn't overlap into somewhere they can see (the mid lane, for example).



Pillar of Ice

Cooldown: 22 / 20 / 18 / 16 / 14
Mana Cost: 75


Trundle projects a pillar of ice at the target location for 6 seconds, knocking back everyone directly over it on cast, acting as impassable terrain for the duration and slowing enemies near it by 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50%.



Utilization:
  • This is your #1 ability as a support, but it's cooldown is relatively high. Don't spam it just for the sake of a slow or knock-up - wait for a favorable opportunity to arise.
  • If you observe the reticle, you'll notice a smaller circle within the spell. That is where the pillar will appear and where enemies will be knocked up if they're standing on it when cast. Always, always aim for this knock-up.
  • Enemies will usually avoid the zone of slow around your pillar, essentially giving you control over that small area. Use this to your advantage if you're attempting to siege or control an objective.
  • Casting Pillar of Ice also grants you a large area of vision, including brush vision if cast inside one. Therefore, instead of face-checking unsafe areas or bushes, simply throw up your pillar in any of these places an check while remaining perfectly safe.
  • Given that the center is a knock-up, you can also use it to stop enemies from channeling important spells. (ex. Crowstorm, Infinite Duress, Nether Grasp, Teleport, recall , Death Lotus, etc...)



Subjugate

Cooldown: 80 / 70 / 60
Mana Cost: 100


Trundle drains the life force out of the target enemy champion, dealing 20 / 27.5 / 35% (+ 2% per 100 AP) of their maximum health in magic damage and stealing 40% of their armor and magic resist. Half of these amounts are stolen instantly, while the remaining halves are drained over a 4 second period.

Once the debuff runs out, the armor and magic resist is slowly returned back to the target over an additional 4 seconds. The health is not given back.



Utilization:
  • This skill is your ace in the hole when it comes to overtly tanky champions like Rammus, Malphite, Dr. Mundo, and many others. Not only will you be making yourself a monster of a tank, but you'll also be making the enemy tank exceptionally squishy at the same time.
  • Always cast this ability on the beefiest, most resistance-filled champion to get the greatest benefit. Everything about this skill works off of percentages, and grabbing anything a squishy carry has to offer will grant you much, much less than that of a bruiser or tank.
  • If your team is able to catch someone out, use this on that target to make them easier to kill and further ensure that they die for their mistakes.
  • Rather than blowing it at the first sign of the enemy tank during teamfights, use your R after you've tanked up some damage so the resulting health transfer isn't wasted.


Guide Top

Skill Sequence





Standard Skill Set:





This is my standard skill path that I run when playing support Trundle. Maxing your ult whenever possible is a given. If I know I can go aggressive during the laning phase, I prefer to get 3 points in Chomp so I can be more of a bully before maxing out Pillar of Ice afterwards. However, if you're against champions that are hard to play aggressive against, stick with maxing pillar.

At level 1, starting Chomp will allow you to give a better leash to your jungler and trade better in lane in case a skirmish breaks out early. However, if you get invaded or are invading, grabbing Pillar of Ice instead will help cut off jungle paths, disorganize the enemy, and prevent them from either engaging or retreating.


Chomp or Frozen Domain?


The remaining two skills, Chomp and Frozen Domain, are somewhat debatable as to which one to max first after Pillar of Ice. I used to prefer maxing Frozen Domain first because the extra movement speed really helped get me in and out of trouble faster, not to mention quicker map movement, as well. However, with the addition Iceborn Gauntlet into the core build (still can't believe that item slipped my mind...), Trundle's Q can effectively CC targets on its own without the use of Pillar of Ice. Given this freedom, maxing Q second allows you to make use of that CC by allowing yourself to deal decent amounts of damage while your target is perpetually slowed. Therefore, provided you're aiming to build IG at some point during the mid game, maxing Chomp over Frozen Domain is the better choice. If you aren't planning to build Iceborn Gauntlet, I would return to maxing Frozen Domain second again.






Babe Ruth Early Game Skill Set:







Exactly what it entails in the name - if you have Ignite, Merciless , and are using the aggressive rune page, you'll be knocking enemies out of the park within the first 3 minutes of the game.

To use this skill order to its fullest you want to be almost, if not already right on top of one of the opposing bot laners (preferably the AD carry) right when you're about to hit level 2. Once this happens, immediately put your point in Frozen Domain and throw it down ahead of you. This gives you both the attack speed needed to shred your target and the movement speed necessary to chase them down while they run. Pull this off right and it's very likely you and your ADC will score a kill - even if you don't, it's almost guaranteed that you'll force the opposing bot lane to blow some of their summoner spells early.


Guide Top

Skill Rotations



( Doran's Blade stands for auto-attacks.)



Standard In-lane Harass

>

It's fairly difficult to use this against anything other than another melee support, but if that's the case, it works very well. Move up on the support if they're splitting off from their ADC, and if you can get in their face, auto-attack and bite them for a chunk of their health. If ADC hasn't reacted yet, auto attack as many times as you can to milk the bonus AD before finally backing off. Don't be afraid to take damage - King's Tribute has you backed up, afterwards.


Catch-out Combo

> >

This combo is the best way for you to start off a fight during the laning phase or a tense standoff, as the instantaneous pillar will catch them off guard. The second you see an opportunity to catch an important target, or when someone is too far forwards, immediately cast Pillar of Ice behind them to knock them back towards you and rush towards them with Frozen Domain. Activate your Q in advance and bite your target as soon as you get in range, giving your team slightly more time to follow up and thus beginning the fight.


Ambush Combo

> > >

This is the best way to ambush unsuspecting enemies when they unknowingly walk into your brush. Wait until they are inside the brush and immediately auto + Q to apply the slow. Continue auto'ing and Q'ing until they're forced to use a defensive ability or an escape, where you can then throw down Frozen Domain to catch up and pillar them right back.


Chasing Combo

> >

This is best for running down fleeing opponents. Frozen Domain will help you get in range of a knock-back Pillar of Ice, which you can then follow up with an immediate Q to sufficiently slow your target.


Ganking Combo

> >

This works best when ganking another lane or flanking a fleeing enemy. Putting down Frozen Domain to start it off will help you get in range for a Q, slowing the target and helping your teammate(s) get in range. Instead of using Pillar of Ice, however, you want to save that until your target is forced to blow an important escape, such as Flash. Once they blow their escape ability, there's nothing left to avoid your pillar with, and they'll be forced to walk past the pillar inside the zone of slow or blow Flash if they still have it.






__IT'S MY ABILITY, AND I NEED IT NOW!!!__

::

It's your ability, use it when YOU need it!!! :D

(Just make sure to use it on a tank!)


Guide Top

Itemization



A Quick Note:

Your items the first few times you come out of base. These will more or less stay the same between every game you play, so you'll come to understand them and their benefits in due time.





x3
Standard start to set you off in the beginning of the game. The extra healing from Relic Shield is nice for amplifying your innate sustain in addition to keeping your partner healed up as well. If you're both at full health and you have full charges of the Spoils of War passive, use one and save the other in case one or both of you are hurt so you can quickly heal back some of the damage.



On your first back to base, opt for a Targon's Brace first and buy whatever else you need and can afford. Your biggest strength during the early game lies within your in-lane sustain and upgrading your Relic Shield into Targon's Brace greatly enhances that by not only giving you extra health regen, but by halving the time it takes to generate the Spoils of War passive, as well.

Also, don't forget to pick up your first Vision Ward, as well. These things last indefinitely so you'll want to make the most of them as early as possible. For where to place them, any bush along the outer portion of your side of the jungle will suffice.




or
Sightstone is an absolutely core item to have as a support, and as long as that stands, you should always be aiming to get this as soon as possible. Getting the early vision out will give your team an important edge when it comes to monitoring enemy movement and controlling neutral objectives like dragon. Also remember to purchase a Sweeping Lens at the same time in order to clear enemy wards while roaming around.

Boots of Swiftness will be the usual go-to tier 2 boots once you have the money since the consistent speed and slow reduction will help you more when it comes to both chasing and running away. In the case you really feel you need to have some extra map presence, you may opt for Boots of Mobility, instead.



A Quick Note:

These items are best bought during the mid-game mainly because of two important reasons.

1. They're relatively cheap compared to most core items.
2. They all come with their own active effects, with each one having a bigger impact on the game the earlier you buy the item.



Map Control

Eye of the Equinox does better than Face of the Mountain nowadays for three main reasons. First, it speeds up the pace of your build by allowing you to skip the extra components needed for FotM. Second, it frees up an extra item slot in your inventory, giving you increased build versatility. Lastly and most importantly, in my opinion, it grants you 4 sight wards as opposed to the 3 sight wards given by Sightstone. With sight wards on low abundance due to past nerfs and such, items such as Eye of the Equinox can aid your vision-game greatly by giving you the safety net of that one extra ward. Instead of backing constantly for ward charges, you'll be able to stay out longer and get more experience and assists without being pressed by a lack vision.


- OR -


Better Peel

Core for a while until support warding was nerfed in general, Face of the Mountain grants you some nice stats and an effective shield for only 2.2k gold. Because you're playing Trundle, none of your abilities provide any direct buffs or protection to your allies. Acquiring this item will finally allow you have a guaranteed way of peeling for your carries, especially since you'll be gathering up lots of additional health.

The biggest issue with going Face of the Mountain instead of Eye of the Equinox is that you'll be stuck on a 3-ward Sightstone for the majority of the game. This isn't completely detrimental, but it does in fact limit your ability to retain proper vision of the map with enemies constantly picking off your wards with Oracle Alteration and vision wards. As a result you'll be going back to base frequently, oftentimes just to refill on wards.



More Damage & CC

Mana problems will be nearly nonexistent once acquiring Iceborn Gauntlet, and on top of that you get a hefty amount of armor and CDR. However, what makes this item so incredibly effective on Trundle is its Chomp-enhancing passive which adds on a sizable amount of damage along with a 30% AoE slow that lasts for 1.5 seconds. Constantly waiting for your pillar in order to slow an enemy will become a thing of the past when you can glue them down just by using your Q.

Asides from adding to Trundle's utility as a support, the fact that applies extra damage to your Q means you can become an additional threat to the enemy carries. This can severely harm their ability to effective damage in skirmishes because while their support can't take on your carries alone, they're blowing everything they have just to get a bloodthirsty troll - who can actually face them head on - off their backs.


- OR -


More Tankiness

Like Iceborn Gauntlet, Frozen Heart negates your mana problems with its enormous mana pool while giving you the same amount of CDR but 30 more armor. Enemies dependent on attack speed will be especially hindered by this item as it reduces enemy attack speed in an aura around you.

This used to be one of my core mid game items until I realized gauntlet cost less and gave so much more utility that FH. If faced with multiple auto-attack heavy opponents, Frozen Heart may be the superior choice. Otherwise, in most balanced matchups I would still opt for Iceborn Gauntlet for the damage and utility.



> > >

Aegis of the Legion is a really great item for countering any type of magic damage on the other team. With all 5 members of your team together, this relatively inexpensive item will provide a combined total of 50 extra magic resistance. If there's any single clear-cut AP threat on the other team, plan on getting this right after you finish Eye of the Equinox or Face of the Mountain.

Accumulate 1000 more gold, and you can now purchase Locket of the Iron Solari, one of the best team-oriented items in the game. Not only does this give your more health, more bonus mr to allies, and a nifty 10% CDR, but it also comes with an amazing AoE active that briefly shields every nearby ally by a flat amount based on your level. If you went Face of the Mountain, use this shield in conjunction with Locket for an even bigger shield for even more peel!

Even if someone on your team has Locket already, it isn't a terrible idea having two at the same time. However, when facing an all-AD team it may be best to substitute this item for something else.



Your fellow marksman will be the main focus of this item. When Zeke's Harbinger activates on your ADC, it has the potential to allow them to reach ridiculous levels of critical strike chance, often maxing them out at 100% crit! The amount of havoc your ADC can wreak during this 8 second time period is indescribable, and activating Zeke's during an evenly-matched teamfight can quickly turn the tide in your team's favor.

However, with the season 6 changes there are quite a few ADC's that can exceed 60% critical strike through itemization alone, making Zeke's Harbinger less of a necessity than it used to be. Nonetheless, it remains a noteworthy item by its own merit and retains great potential when paired with ADC champions that utilize critical strike but still can't quite reach 60% or above through their normal build paths.



This is a good buy during the following circumstances:

1. Your team doesn't have many ways of forcing an engage.
2. The carries on the other team are hard to reach by conventional means.
3. Your opponents are difficult to chase down after a fight.


Although good for melee supports in general, Righteous Glory is overall only decent on Trundle because whereas most tanky supports have huge CC potential if they can get in their opponents' faces, Trundle doesn't necessarily need to be in melee range to CC or catch someone out - all he needs is his pillar. However, in the face of overwhelming poke compositions that can nail your team from afar, this item can be a godsend when no one on your team has an effective way to engage.



Although not the first item I would expect to build, Mikael's Crucible can come in handy when the enemy team has a serious amount of CC and your ADC needs more than just slows and shields to peel for them. The active effect removes any current CC except for knockups and suppresses when used, and additionally heals the target for 150 + 10% of your max health. This can easily save a teammate in distress, so its important that you utilize the active whenever you can, otherwise you're losing out on what you paid for. Getting an item for 2300 gold without it having any health or armor can be a real setback in some cases, so make the most out of it and make up for the cost by bailing out carries from tough situations.



A Quick Note:

Expensive, yet powerful. While I did section the following items under "Late Game", it is perfectly viable to build many of them during the mid-game as well. Those that should really only be built +30 mins will be marked by a large '*'.



A good choice for when you need more survivability against ADC's or crit-loving champs in general. The health and armor components alone are decent, and along with a 15% reduction in attack speed and 10% less damage from critical strikes, you can feel confident about taking a few more hits than before. Another nice bonus from this item is an active effect that slows nearby enemies by 35% for 4 seconds. Since you do need to get in melee range to apply your own slow from Chomp, this active can help you close the gap between you and your target when you're not quite in range.



With more health when compared to Randuin's Omen but less armor and no crit or ATS (attack speed) reduction, this item offers less protection against auto-attack/crit-based champions. Even so, the item itself offers decent, tanky stats and is effective at combating wide varieties of physical threats. What sets this item apart from other health and armor items is the utility you get from the item's two passives, Dreadnought and Crushing Blow.

The Dreadnought portion of the item gives you a flat movement speed bonus that can make both warding and engaging on or chasing enemies easier. The Crushing Blow passive applies bonus damage to your first auto-attack whenever you have stacks of momentum available. When your stacks aren't full it will only do extra damage, but when they are you'll do twice the bonus damage and apply a 75% slow for 1 second. With these two nifty passives, running up to and locking down targets becomes fairly easier as you can quickly close the gap and stop them in their tracks with Crushing Blow-powered Q's.



*

*
Although it seems more geared towards "all-around" protection, I would actually recommend getting this item when there are more magic-based champions on the other team. Reason being is that for the most part, magic damage is almost always dealt as burst rather than over time like physical damage. Therefore, all you really need against a predominantly AP team is an above average amount of MR and lots and lots of health. With this buy + Locket of the Iron Solari, you should have more than enough magic resist to protect yourself; focus primarily on health and some armor from this point on.

Its passive makes diving into and bailing from turrets smoother all around, and the purple triangle that the active lets you put down also grants you movement speed when you're close by. From my experiences, the minions that spawn from the void gate aren't too tough and die easily if focused by a champion. However, these can't be killed by regular minions, making them excellent at splitpushing sidelanes while your team meanders off, elsewhere.

(Take note that these minions do have time limits on them, so be sure not to place the void gate too far back)



*

*
With the rise of ADC's, Thornmail is becoming more and more relevant than ever before. This item forces enemy champions to trudge through 100+ armor all while taking damage with each basic attack they throw at you. This damage stacks up quickly, so use this extra pressure to further punish enemy auto-attackers who decide to hit you and discourage them from hitting you at all. However, if there's still AP/magic-damage threats on the other team, Thornmail may not be the best item choice since it offers no health or resists other than armor.


Guide Top

Pillar Instincts




How to Train Your Pillar

You can't really learn effective pillar'ing from simply reading a guide, but rather by playing Trundle a couple times and understanding his range and the movements of your targets. One of the most fundamental parts of Trundle's E is the short but significant knock-up. When paired with the AoE slow surrounding your pillar, this can severely impede your opponents.

The images below show how to achieve the knock up when using Pillar of Ice and how to position the pillar correctly so your target ends up on the desired side.



When attempting to bring an enemy closer to you, aim your pillar in the direction you're chasing and slightly ahead so the inner circle's closest rim is right in the middle of your target. They will then be knocked up and will end on your side of the pillar - good for you, bad for them.




When attempting to ward off enemies, aim your pillar slightly in front of them so that the inner circle's farthest rim is right in the middle of your target. The resulting pillar will knock them up and place them on the opposite side of the pillar, forcing them to walk around it while under a constant slow.








Good Pillars vs. Unhelpful Structures


Like I mentioned before, using Pillar of Ice at the right place and at the right time can make a world of a difference compared to throwing it up without any thought. In addition, being careful about where and when you pillar can help prevent you from bad accidents that can actually backfire on your own team. The following clips and explanations will aim to show what makes a good pillar good and a bad pillar very unhelpful.



Good Pillar Ex. #1
The edges of walls can be big asset when it comes to using Trundle's pillars to the best effect. Right before Zed attempts to cross over onto the other side of the wall to regroup with his teammates, I threw up my pillar right at the edge of it. This forces him to walk all the way around, but under the constant slow of the pillar we can reach him before he's able to leave.


Good Pillar Ex. #2
Again, making good use of walls can really help you keep enemies in place when thinking about where to pillar. In this clip, a pillar tossed up just shy of touching the wall effectively funnels the enemy Bard between it and the wall. This kind of a pillar is known to me as a Nock, but I'll go more into depth about what that is later.


Good Pillar Ex. #3
Great pillars are equally as useful when used to escape. Here, the enemy Poppy is gaining on my teammate, Kindred, who will get caught if she gets too close. To make sure Kindred escapes, I throw up my pillar onto Poppy and knock her behind it. This completely crushes Poppy's momentum and ensures my teammate can get away.




Now unfortunately, using Pillar of Ice isn't always going to be sunshine and rainbows, but don't be discouraged! Using this ability to the fullest doesn't come easily, so mistakes can be common even after you think you've mastered it. So without further ado, here are some examples of bad Pillars of Ice.




Bad Pillar Ex. #1
In this clip, I was hoping to get some extra damage on the Ezreal by popping him towards me and and my Tristana. However, my anticipation was wrong and I ended up pillaring too early, knocking him backwards. In the end all I accomplished was putting my pillar back on cooldown for nothing, but overall nothing else good or bad happened.


Bad Pillar Ex. #2
Here I wanted to pillar ahead of Cho'Gath to block off the tiny passage between the wall and the turret; this cuts off his escape. However, again I threw up my pillar too early and ended up placing it in front of Cho instead of behind. This not only cuts him off from Riven, but ultimately forces both me and her to travel around the turret to reach him.


Bad Pillar Ex. #3
I expected the enemy to approach and wanted to maintain some distance between them and my teammates, so by instinct I threw up my pillar between them and my carries. However, they instead chose to disengage from us. In teamfights, you never want to waste your pillar on a whim like I did during this clip - saving and using it at the right moment will serve you much better.


Guide Top

Where to Troll



Knowing how to stop opponents with Pillar of Ice can be a great asset when playing as support Trundle. Even so, this is only half of the story. Another key point to consider when deciding where to pillar is knowing the specific areas of the map where they can be used to the fullest effect. Here are some locations that can really amplify the impact of your pillars:

1.
Turrets
When it comes to tower diving, the turret can actually be an asset when playing support Trund. All you need to do is pillar inside that tiny section between the wall and the turret and you can effectively seal it off.

2.
Choke
Points
Another space that can be an excellent area to throw up a pillar is the time-old choke point. Choke points refer to all narrow passageways blocked on both sides by terrain. Your pillar itself might not be able to cover all of it but the slow certainly can, granting you firm control over those areas.

3.
Brush
The last place I want to mention here would be various areas of brush scattered around the map. Although they vary in length, their width is unanimous and conveniently the exact size of your pillar. This makes it easy to deny enemies the brush when they try to run inside and lose your sight.


Guide Top

Trolling in Lane





Laning

Your level 1 will depend mostly on which skill you started, as previously mentioned. If you start Q, you'll be able to 2v2 earlier but won't have any form of CC to effectively catch-out or ward off enemies. Going Pillar of Ice first gives you these options, but after you d*ck someone, you won't have anything to follow it up. Usually in solo que, I tend to go Chomp first due to the unlikeliness of an invade and the chance of giving my jungler a smiteless gromp/krugs, as the bonus AD really helps take it down faster. Also, I tend to play Trundle when against tanks, especially tanky, melee supports like Leona and Alistar. Starting with Q lets me get in their face and forces the other support to either back off or get help from their ADC, who must then switch their focus from farming to warding me off. This relieves pressure off of my own ADC and allows them to farm for free or harass at will.

(As a friendly tip, try not to put your first point into a skill until right before the jungle monsters spawn. You'll never know if a late-invade could be coming your way.)



Level 1


If you began with Pillar of Ice at level 1 don't do anything crazy. You don't have Chomp yet so you can't actually trade with the other bot lane, so play passively and use your pillar to zone off your opponents if needed. When you do get chomp, laning aggressively will be exactly the same as what's explained below.

If you began with Chomp, the following clips form an example of how aggression and the creation of lane presence during a melee vs. melee support lane matchup can assist both you and your AD carry:




Notice how the zones of Kalista and Leona are heavily overlapping, thus limiting their overall control of the lane. I take advantage of this and walk forwards, spreading me and Lucian's zones and covering much more of the lane than the other pair.




Playing around the brush is crucial towards doing well in lane. Because Leona is hugging her ADC, it gives me all the free space to move up into their brush, creating an entire zone of pressure since I can't be seen.




The other bot lane is now forced to check the brush by either facechecking or sacrificing a trinket ward. Leona saves her ward and facechecks, where I then immediately chunk her with an auto-attack + Chomp.


.
In the ensuing skirmish, both Leona and Kalista attack me, taking out a good chunk of my health. However, while focused on me, Lucian is able to move up and shoot up Kalista for free. Even though both sides took relatively equal amounts of damage, the important part was that I took all of the damage, while Lucian took none. King's Tribute allows me to heal up much quicker than my opponents, making any damage I take much less effective. Therefore, we win this small exchange.







Level 2 and Beyond

One of the most crucial parts of early laning is the beginning, where both pairs of bottom laners should be looking to hit level 2 first. Getting your second ability while your opponents only have one at their disposal means that there's virtually no way you can get out-traded in a fight, offering you a brief, yet huge advantage. You'll often see experienced players suddenly go aggressive if they hit level 2 first, and many times it will result in the opposing side losing many minions or even dying within the first 3 minutes of the game.

Before I delve into the different level 2 scenarios, what you should know first is exactly how many minions you need in order to level up from level 1. Unless you do a camp beforehand, you will always need 9 minions in order to reach level 2. These consist of 6 melee minions and 3 caster minions; melee minions yield twice the amount of exp as casters, so you'll want to stick to the order above to level up as fast as possible.



If you aren't near the other bottom laners and hit level 2 first:
  • Put a point into Pillar of Ice.
  • Just before the last minion you need to level up dies, move in a little closer to them.
  • Use your newly acquired pillar to knock back one of the opponents, preferably the ADC.
  • Run up for an auto-Q combo and don't stop autoing until low or they run close enough to their turret.

If you are near the other bottom laners or already fighting them, and hit level 2 first:
  • Put a point into Frozen Domain.
  • Once you have your W immediately throw it down far enough in front of you to maximize the movespeed for chasing, but close enough that you still benefit from its combat buffs straight away.
  • Auto-attack as much as you can while chasing them down. The attack speed from your W makes it impossible for your opponents to out-trade you, so you shouldn't be afraid of retaliation.


*As helpful as it is to get an early lead over your opponents, ALWAYS RESPECT THE OPPOSING LEVEL 2. Make it another priority of yours to not only count how many minions the other opposing laners have killed, but to also foresee their own level 2 capabilities. The point of "cheesing" the opposing side at level 2 is to gain and early lead while the other pair has only one ability. If they gain a level at the same time or before you do, respect them and don't recklessly charge in unless you're sure you have an advantage.


The main thing you should focus on after level 2 is unlocking all your abilities. Once you hit level 3 you'll have all the tools you need to start ramping up the aggression. If either the support or ADC is too far forwards, punish them by popping them towards you with a pillar and rushing at them with Frozen Domain. Should they choose to fight you, you have the edge in an extended trade because the offensive bonuses from your Q + W on top of Chomp's damage reduction make it nigh-impossible for even the opposing ADC to out-trade you.

Remember - your passive allows you to regenerate health much faster than your opponents. If you come out of a trade with low health but your ADC's still in good shape, there's little reason for you to back out of the lane. If your opponents take as much damage as you have while your ADC remains healthy, then you've won the trade heavily.








Roaming

Also, before you move on, remember that as fun as it is to troll the other bot laners, you eventually need to move out and troll other lanes as well - most notably the mid lane. Here are some good ques / time frames where you can go ahead and do this:
  • Acquiring Boots of Swiftness or Boots of Mobility helps you roam around much faster, so once you get these you can start looking for opportunities to gank.
  • If you're warding near middle lane and see an opportunity to intervene, don't hesitate to jump in and help out your mid laner.
  • You usually want to gank right after coming out of base since walking all the way from bottom lane to anywhere else can take a while.
  • A good wave-clearing ADC's like Sivir or Corki have an easier time farming at a range or at turret while simultaneously keeping both opposing bottom laners at bay. This will of course depend on the opposing bot lane's champions as well, but if the match up is in your favor or your ADC is strong, you can tell them to sit back and farm safely while you move out to gank.
  • The other bottom lane has just been killed or has just recalled.
  • Your ADC is at base. If you gank quickly enough, you can return in time to not have them face a potential 1v2 for an extended period of time.

Don't Go
Too Crazy!



.
If you attempt to gank and fail to get a kill, don't stick around and waste your time and exp - head back to lane with your ADC. If the opposing bot laners are at your turret, it's probably best you head there and help defend it rather than roam. One issue I commonly have is actually over-roaming, where you essentially abandon your carry and run off on your own. Not only does this force them to go alone against two champions, but it also hinders you since you'll be losing a lot of passive minion gold, spoils of war gold, and experience.


Guide Top

Trolling in Teamfights









Teamfighting with Trundle is all about splitting off the enemy team, ulting the tankiest member, and trapping them within your zone of slow. If your not sure who to focus or see all of the enemy team in one area, don't bother trying to get the knock up on a single person - just throw up your pillar somewhere that has most enemies within the slow.

In this clip, Trundle starts off the fight by cutting off Vayne and 2 other members from the pit, forcing them fight his team instead of continuing Baron. During the fight, he places his next pillar directly in the middle of the river, forcing the other team to cross over if they want to chase Trundle's team. However, as they cross, they put themselves right in the middle of the zone of slow, and ultimately become sitting ducks for Trundle's Azir who flanks from the side.


A few more examples of good teamfight Pillar'ing:




Whether its for starting out fights, keeping them going, or even stopping them from happening in the first place, Trundle's Pillar of Ice is great for every occasion.


Guide Top

How to Troll





It Ain't About the Size...

Using your pillar correctly is essential towards playing a great troll support, but one who's able to master their big Pillar of Ice can smack around anyone they wish and can seriously carry games. Here's a few things I've learned that can really maximize the potential of your support bread and butter and silence any troll nay-sayers in an instant...







The Nocking Point
Nocking - as many of you probably don't know - is a simple term used in archery that refers to the tiny area on a bowstring where the back-end of the arrow fits. Now you may be thinking, "What the hell does this have to do with support Trundle...", but this term actually has a lot in common with this specific use of Trundle's Pillar of Ice. When you nock an arrow, it fits snug within its nocking point; it doesn't move, it doesn't budge. Now back to the world of League of Legends, there are many obstacles that we generally refer to as "terrain". Unless a person is playing a champion that has some kind of cheap dash or blink, they can't traverse this terrain and must go around it. The central pillar created by your E - much like terrain - also cannot be traversed and therefore, champions must move around.

Usually during a chase, those who are fleeing are trying to get as far away as possible as quickly as possible. However, as previously mentioned, the map is riddled with terrain that they (in most cases) cannot traverse and must go around. The quickest way around these obstacles will always be the shortest path, and often-times this path involves hugging the terrain for a few brief seconds. With practice and good timing, you can take advantage of these moments by using Pillar of Ice to effectively "nock" your opponent in between the wall and the pillar. This creates a gap in which your target unknowingly walks into, and once inside, they awkwardly remain in place while attempting to pass through the tiny gap before realizing its too late. The utilization of your opponents instincts to escape is what indirectly grants you a free stun that your team can capitalize on with deadly ease. And during the very best of nocks, the champion will stay completely stuck in place for as long as the pillar lasts - an entire 6 seconds!




Examples of Perfect Nocks











C*ck Blocking like a Pro


Although sporting a much, much smaller area than a Janna Howling Gale or Alistar Pulverize, a knock up is a knock up. This means that if you have the eyes of a hawk and an very well trained sense of foresight, you can use Pillar of Ice to interrupt dashes. Yep - you can stop dashes completely with your giant d*ck, and the gif and video you see here are the proof. Again, this requires extreme precision and I wouldn't recommend saving your pillar specifically for this. But if you can afford to use it and you know for sure where and when the enemy will travel, try your luck and perhaps your team will learn to appreciate your trolling. (i.e. "so-and-so, you're a god...")


^_____^_____^
Pay close attention to the red Renekton!










TRUNDLE

- THE #1 SION COUNTER -


(QUICK DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE NOT MY VIDEOS!!! >:D)

Click here to laugh at some Sions


Guide Top

Troll Judge, Troll Jury, and Suppo...Troll.








Now that you've seen Support Trundle in his entirety, it's time to learn one final thing before you set off trolling on Summoner's Rift: How to Support!

There's a couple things to take into account if you want to play support at a high level, and it may be difficult to keep track of them all at once. However, once you've tried it out enough these simple pointers will come naturally and it should be easy to follow through with them.




Protect your ADC!

Your absolute, number 1 priority as a support. It's pretty much the reason this role was created in the first place: to keep your AD carry safe all throughout the game so they can dole out the pain in turn. Unfortunately, this is easier said than done. Unlike most supports you have no shields, no non-self heals, and by golly the tiniest amount of hard CC ever. Therefore, you need to pay extra attention to potential threats and use well placed pillars to your best advantage to keep them away. And even if you do have good mastery of your pillar, many times when your ADC comes under threat your pillar's not going to be available. What do you do in these situations?

This is where your items and summoner spells come in to play to help you out. Face of the Mountain and Locket of the Iron Solari are your godsends when you can't peel with Pillar of Ice. And if you think that enormous shielding won't cut it, Exhaust can crush any champion's chances of killing your carries with its 50% damage reduction. However, your shields are only on about a minute cooldown so more often than not they'll be ready to go whenever you need them. Exhaust on the other hand takes around 3 times longer than that to cooldown after being used. To help out with this downtime, make sure to alert your team when your exhaust is down so they know you can't protect your ADC to the fullest, and can react appropriately.



Give Kills to your Teammates

Many of you who've played the game for long enough already know full well that the role of the support is to help protect the carries while also feeding them kills so they can get stronger, faster. If you're new to this game, getting kills may still be top priority for you and it's not entirely terrible to get a few here and there. However, remember that the 300ish gold you can get from killing a champion will always, always be put to better use if given to your teammates, instead.



Dying (in the right amount) is ok!

Imagine this scenario: You and your ADC are both at dangerously low levels of HP. Your ADC has been hit with a stun and can't move, and the enemy Nidalee chucks a javelin at them. You're not stunned and are right next to them. What do you do?

Well, you could run away and live while your ADC dies. This would then force them to waste away inside the death timer - they end up missing out on two waves of minions. This potential farm would have provided at least 200 more gold if farmed up. This gold could have been all that was needed to complete that Infinity Edge or that Statikk Shiv your ADC needed later on. However, because they lost that gold they're now short an item during the next big fight, and during that fight their damage becomes stunted due to that single, lost item. Additonally, because your ADC is dead, no one but you is able to defend bottom turret - your opponents now walk up uncontested, and without fear they get free hits on it.

Alternatively, you dove in front of them and sacrificed your life for theirs. So after that your ADC went back to base, quickly recovered, and headed back out to farm. Meanwhile, you sit at spawn waiting to revive - what about you? What are you losing? Well, you're not looking to farm so that doesn't matter to you. You can't really hold a tower by yourself, and can't even 1v1 anyone on the other team for that matter (excluding the other support). You do lose the opportunity to ward as well as the opportunity to gank or help someone secure a kill. However, if there's no wards you can simply tell your teammates to be careful and wait for your to revive. Also, how can help your carry get kills... is dead in the first place?


Now obviously no one has the time to think about all of that when making that kind of a split-second decision. But long story short, your ADC (or any other carry for that matter) will have more direct impact on a game than you ever can as a support. Although your role is undoubtedly important, it relies much less on the amount of time you spend alive than all the other roles. Therefore, if you're ever put in a situation where you have a chance to use your abilities and save your carry, don't think - just do it, even if it means certain death. Of course this doesn't mean you should throw your life in the trash whenever danger comes to your carry, so like any other role try your best to keep yourself in a controlled position out of harms way. Make sure that every life you end up having to forfeit is not wasted, and that it garners some kind of benefit for your team.



Communication

Like they say, communication is a two-way street. In most cases talking to your teammates will garner some sort of response most times, but that alone is always better than not saying anything at all. The most important part of communication - whether it be through chat or through pings - is to start and establish it in the first place. It's understandable if your AD carry, AP carry, and Top lane aren't making their best effort to talk. After all, they're all trying to focus on winning lane, not dying, and farming as much as possible. This is where the more supportive roles of jungle and support come into play. Since you don't have a responsibility to farm and aren't as important of a target for the other team, it's up to you fill that gap with as many attempts towards communication as possible. Whether your asking if your carry wants to stay in lane or not, pinging an enemy champion you're about to dive, or even pinging yourself to let everyone know where you are, keeping your team on the same page is one of the fundamental requirements towards a successful game.



Never... EVER Act like a Support!!!

If you remember from the Pro's & Con's section, Trundle is by no means a support to keep huddled up behind the front lines. Why?... because Trundle IS the front line!!! Know your limits, but never be afraid to run head-on into your opponent's faces just because you'll take some damage in doing so. The amount of health you lose won't matter if you're able to throw your pillar right on top of your opponents and send them flying into your own team's clutches.



ADC: "Hey Trundle, you're a support... so stay back, play passive, and let me lead the lane, k?"








Guide Top

The Trolls have Eyes





Although I didn't mention it in the chapter before, Warding is another integral part of the support role; it just so happens to be so difficult to grasp for beginners yet so important that I decided to give it its own section. So now that you're here, here are the fundamentals on what good warding can give you, how to go about warding the map, and how to deny enemy wards.



Before we dive into this bad boy, it's also important to realize that as satisfying as it is to have great mechanics, League of Legends is ultimately an objective based game - no one will ever win by getting 20, 30, or even a hundred kills. Killing turrets, inhibitors, and eventually the nexus is the absolute, only way to win a game. Scoring kills on Dragon and Baron Nashor can assist in this, but having these two options available for both teams only serves to widen the amount of objectives you need to keep track of.

With turrets all over the map and Dragon + Baron sitting along the midsection, it would be almost impossible to simultaneously track which objectives your opponents are trying to take while staying safe and taking objectives of your own. Almost impossible... *whips out Sightstone, Vision Ward and Sweeping Lens. These three things will form the core of your endeavors of making the impossible possible by giving you the power of knowing enemy movements while also denying them that same option.







Good Warding

Wards. Whether they be from a Warding Totem, Sightstone, or anything else that provides them, they all have one function and that is to sit in place and give you vision over small areas. If you catch sight of an enemy passing through, you can alert your team and they can play safe. If there isn't anyone there, then the ward just sits there and does nothing, right?... Right??? Ri...




There is so, so, SO much more to gain from having good wards on the map than one might expect. I don't want to overwhelm you guys with every single tiny detail on what these are, so here's some of the main benefits that I've found from my own experience:




- Knowing when to play safe and when to play aggressive.

The standard, but nonetheless important benefit of having wards is simply to have vision of the enemy for safety purposes. When the area around your lane is dark, you can't make an educated decision on whether or not you can play aggressive simply because you don't know where the enemy jungler is. As a result, playing up front becomes risky and you're forced to play passively by default. When you do have vision, you can easily tell if someone else is creeping up on you. This gives you some relative freedom to apply pressure against your opponent because you know it isn't likely you'll be punished by an enemy gank if you don't see anyone nearby with your wards.




- Giving you opportunities to ambush opponents

If wards are good at one thing, it would be opening up unforeseen opportunities for you to capitalize on, and what better way could that be shown other than having your entire team huddled in a tiny bush while a single, unsuspecting enemy walks towards it?

This doesn't specifically have to do with warding, but could easily
happen with the help of wards; I just found it funny.
:D




- Knowing when an objective is up for grabs

Again, objectives are the cornerstone of a won game, so naturally one would want to get good a knowing when to take them; wards are excellent help for this purpose. You could simply focus on an objective when seeing an enemy somewhere else directly through ward vision, but here's a smarter way of using ward knowledge...

Take this for instance:

Your jungler is on the right ("bottom") side of the map and both mid laners are currently in their respective lanes, and so are both bottom lane pairs. Both top laners are in lane. Dragon is alive and you have really good vision of the right-side jungle, but you see no one there. Additionally, you have zero vision of the left-side jungle on both red and blue sides - the enemy jungler is still nowhere to be found.

Would calling for your mid laner and jungler to group up with you two for an attempt at dragon be a safe, educated decision?



WELL DUHHH, OF COURSE... NOT?..... MAYBE??!?..... GET BARON INSTEAD?!?!?!





- Securing portions of the map
Although it may seem like it, you don't need to have the entire map covered in wards in order to feel safe or have a general idea of where your enemies are. When you have a ward placed down, you can easily react accordingly to whether or not an extra enemy is present within that zone. However, if you have several important crossroads within the enemy jungle lit up with wards you can essentially guarantee your team safety in any area behind them. The larger you make this area, the more control your team has of the majority of the map, leading to safer roaming as well as an easier time taking important objectives.








How to Ward

Warding itself doesn't need to be very difficult - it can be very easy in fact. At the very least if you were to set up only one or two wards nearby your lane, you'd already be doing a lot by securing yourself from ganks and backing up your aggression. However, in this section I'm going to take that up a couple notches and show you a few tricks and tips that can greatly enhance your warding.




- Ward Positioning

To start things off, if you want vision of a specific area you can just go ward it... except this isn't the case. From my experience there are two ways to position wards - the smart way, and the lazy way. Here's two clips comparing the two during an attempt to ward the bottom-right river (from a blue team perspective):




As you can tell, the "lazy" ward is a bit closer to lane and therefore both easier and faster to place down. However, you can't really see too much past the end of the bush, and by the time someone comes into view they'll most likely already be too close to lane for you to react in time. On the other hand, the smarter ward not only shows much more of the river itself, but it also gives vision of the red-side ramp that heads down into the river. If someone on the other team wanted to come gank you from that direction you'd be able to call them out far before they could ever reach your lane, giving you ample time to retreat to safety.





In this example, the brush is being lit up by both lazy and smart wards. However, the lazy ward doesn't cover much of the large, 4-corridor cross section of ground above it and has only has good coverage of a small corridor below it. If the ward was placed on the opposite end of the bush (as shown in the smart version), it would not only retain decent vision of the bottom corridor but also get close to full vision of the 4-corridor cross section located above it.




- Wall Hopping Your Wards

There are many walls within Summoners Rift that are extremely thick and difficult to traverse both around and over. However, there is a way to safely and effectively ward over these walls - a sort of weird, yet very useful technique that actually involves breaking the maximum range for ward placement. It can be tricky but by no means is it impossible - the process is not random and over time you'll get the feel for how far your reach can really go and where the ward will end up.


Everybody knows that you can't place a ward within a wall or other terrain; if you try to do so anyways, the AI will then attempt to place the ward at the closest available spot without terrain (within a small radius). You can use this to your advantage by placing your ward as far out as you can into a piece of solid terrain; the catch here is to position your cursor so that the closest spot without terrain is an area ahead or off to the side.


This is the farthest, useful application of wall hopping a ward I've been able to do up until now. All in all this technique isn't limited to specific areas - try it out wherever you see fit and perhaps you'll come up with great spots, as well.





- Warding Down Lanes and Dragon/Baron Pits

Sometimes it isn't enough to assume the "obvious" - that of which being the other team's players walking down their own lane. When you ward down a lane, you're doing it for the same purpose as you would when warding inside the jungle - for an approximation of where your enemies are headed and when they'll be there. In addition, as long as they aren't seen when they're being dropped these wards are likely the live out their entire 3 minute lifespans since one rarely sweeps their own lane for wards. These types of wards can be extremely useful later in the game when Baron Nashor and 5th dragons become contestable objectives - a ward placed far up inside a lane can easily catch the entire enemy team moving to attack or defend those objectives, giving you valuable time to create a proper reaction.

Speaking of Baron Nashor and dragon, these two bosses will progressively become more and more important as time passes. If you don't have full control of the midsection of the map, warding dragon becomes one of your main priorities of a support - free, sneaky dragons are not too uncommon nowadays, so keeping it warded will help you avoid giving your opponents that chance. The same goes for Baron Nashor, with the only difference being that it spawns later at the 20 minute mark. I don't include warding the relatively new boss - Rift Herald - as one of your priorities since it lasts from the 6 minute to 20 minute mark. It's honestly not that important of a monster as dragon, and it's quite the distance from bot lane where you're going to be spending most of your time.




- Making a Smart Network of Wards

With the rest of techniques and know-how out of the way, this section finally concludes with how far you should go to place wards and how to space them out so you get the info you want. They're a multitude of different ways to set down 3 wards across the map but before you do so, a good strategy I like to employ on myself is to ask myself two of these questions:


1. What do I want / What can I get from this vision?

and...

2. How far can I go to ward without getting caught?



This first part can be anywhere from simple/easy as pie to very challenging; why? It all depends on the number of things you want to do. Say you want to keep yourself from getting ganked; alright, you plop one or two wards above bottom lane - done. But what if you also want to help cover mid lane at the same time?... AND keep the enemy mid laner from roaming downwards without you knowing? It seems like quite a daunting task to complete, especially given that your Sightstone only allows for 3 wards of your own to be placed down at a time. However, with the right amount of map knowledge and quick observation, you can become adept at multitasking with your vision and become a great asset not only for yourself and your ADC, but for the rest of the team as well. The following image shows a well-executed attempt at completing these tasks, with the red and orange arrows respectively indicating the quickest pathways the enemy jungler and/or mid laner would need to take in order to roam down to mid or bottom lane:

This setup of 3 wards almost completely satisfies the previously given objectives. The two wards in front provide very clear vision of two, key crossroads the enemy jungler would need to cross in order to gank bottom or middle lanes from the side. In addition, the single ward in the back covers the right-middle section of the river - another important area that in this case the enemy mid laner would need to cross in order to gank bottom lane.

If you can tell, there are still ways of reaching the bottom lane without being seen. However, these pathways either involve going all the way through lane and back into the jungle (inefficient and strange pathing), or by slipping through the last, unwarded mid lane passage (would almost certainly be seen/caught by your mid laner).




As for the second question, one first needs to realize that anywhere (that isn't already lit up with wards) on the opposing side is dangerous. You'll usually be able to escape from a single enemy, but any more than that and things might get a little hairy. Therefore, you need to take into account how champions you see on the map as well as their respective positions; for both friend and foe. I include my allies in this count because when nearby they can help counteract the danger from nearby enemies by taking away unneeded attention while you press on to get your vision.

Thankfully, Trundle is not your average squishy support so if you do manage to get seen, you have both your abilities and tankiness to help ship you out of a bad situation. Still, if you find yourself alone prior to warding, for the sake of your life you shouldn't go anywhere too far into unwarded territory. This would be anywhere past the orange spots inside the next clip you see, which shows the relative danger levels of placing other wards at various depths during an even, early to mid game match.




The spots marked in green and yellow are usually spots that are safe enough that you can easily escape if seen by an enemy - its the orange and red ones pose a real risk of death. Despite this, those wards often give you the most info about your enemies so you'd still want to try and get wards there, somehow. Some of the following scenarios may be good opportunities to do so:
  • You see every opposing player on the map (i.e. you can avoid them if necessary).
  • You have one or two other teammates with you.
  • One or more of the enemy players is dead or is recalling.
  • The enemy team is grouped at a different place on the map

And as you already may know the map is mirrored across the river, so if you happen to be on the red side, all of the same warding spots will apply in a flipped and mirrored manner, instead. Also, depending on the flow of the game things could either go heavily in or out of your favor. In either of these cases the spots and danger levels presented here won't apply, but the point of this specific map is to show you your warding options from the very get-go of the game when both teams are at an even stance. The wards you place here will start off your game and will ultimately impact the rest of the match, making them exceptionally important.







Clearing Enemy Wards


This next section will be quite short, so you can relax after all that reading about wards (if you actually did take the time to do so :P). There's really nothing too complicated to know here - just a few things to get used to doing from time to time.


Vision Wards

These wards take five hits rather than three to take down, and also has the true sight passive which allows it to see any other invisible unit. The bad part is that they aren't invisible, so anyone can take it out if they catch so much of a glimpse of it. Therefore, here are a few tips to lengthen their lifespan and make use of its true-sight passive:
  • Buy one early to make the most of its infinite lifespan.
  • Always place these in a bush to make them harder to find.
  • Don't place these too far forwards. Pink wards are better used defensively because they have no time limit, and will last longer if they're closer to allied champions who can defend them if necessary.
  • In the event where you're up against a stealth oriented champion(s) ( Twitch, Vayne, Shaco, etc.), it may be a good idea to always have a pink ward on hand so you can throw it down whenever these champs try to utilize their stealth.







Oracle Alteration

An upgraded version of Sweeping Lens, this not only helps reveal wards but also alerts you of any nearby champions when activated. The radius is alright in size and travels with you, centered on your champion. Although Oracle Alteration doesn't directly reveal a stealthed champion, it will tell you where they are if you activate it.
  • It has a 10 second duration, so try to visit as many potential enemy ward locations as you can to make the most of it. (brush, crossroads, etc.)
  • It's cooldown isn't that long, so make sure to use it when it's available to get more uses out of it.
  • Before attempting dragon or Baron, always try to sweep both in front AND inside their respective pits - don't let the other side see you as you take these objectives.
  • In addition to the previous tip, don't use this trinket if you know your team is about to attempt one of these objectives. Save it so you can sweep around and inside the pit.


Guide Top

Trololo






Remember...

may the Troll ALWAYS

be with you!!!






Guide Top

Thanks!

Feel free to leave a vote, and if possible, drop a comment about anything you'd like to see or liked in general. Thanks again for reading - as always I will update whenever necessary and continue to improve my material!

Got questions or comments? Go ahead and post it in the comments sections or send me a pm and I'll do my best to give quick feedback.