Shen Build Guide by xDetroitRedWings
Not Updated For Current Season
Aggressive Support or Duo Top
Purchase Order (Tanky/Aggresive)
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Welcome to xDetroitRedWings first guide!
First off I'd like to wish everyone a merry Christmas and happy holidays and wish you luck on your ranked games! Now this isn't another silly Shen guide that makes you follow Shen's so called 'best lane option' being top. Better yet, this is for Shen's underestimated support, bot lane role. Shen has great lane sustain and with season 4's Relic Shield he can really pull off a great bot lane support. This is my first guide as mentioned before so stick with me, it's going to be one hell of a ride with a bunch to learn! I would like to acknowledge I'm not a high-elo player and haven't been playing Ranked lately.
Pros and Cons
filler filler shenshenshensh filler shenshenshensh
+ Great taunt ( Shadow Dash) for engaging or escaping fights.
+ Vorpal Blade + Relic Shield = Long sustain for you and your ADC
+ Shadow Dash allows you to jump over terrain.
+ Decent CC
+ Solid Late Game
+ No Mana + Lots of health regen = long sustains
+ Extremely good split-pusher
+ Stand United is capable of turning around a teamfight
- Needs mini-map detection (for Stand United and split-pushing)
- No Multi-Target abilities apart from Shadow Dash which doesn't cover minions (takes a while to clear large minion waves without a Ravenous Hydra or Sunfire Cape)
- Difficult to play with a bad AD carry, very ADC reliable, needs the ADC to follow Shen
- Long cooldown on Shadow Dash early on without CDR, hard to escape if you fail a Shadow Dash
- Stand United can be interrupted and in doing so has an extremely long cooldown. If your ally dies while channeling you will not be teleported.
Shen Support Runes
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
I recommend using 3x Greater Quintessence of Gold to help you afford your items. This doesn't limit you to AP or AD like most runes but allows you to purchase items according to the opposing team's setup.
Alternative: Alternatively you can use Greater Quintessence of Health.
For glyphs I recommend using 9x Greater Glyph of Magic Resist to really allow some tanking to be done, this will then let you to be more free with what aggressive items you purchase instead of building Magic Resist.
Alternative: Alternatively for late game you can use Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist's instead of flat one's but this can be risky for early game.
For marks I recommend using 9x Greater Mark of Attack Damage just like other aggressive supports as it allows you to still poke with some good damage output.
Alternative: Alternatively, you can use 9x Greater Mark of Armor but I don't recommend it :)
For seals I recommend using 9x Greater Seal of Armor again, for some tankiness.
Alternative: I suggest you stick with armor unless you feel confident with something else :)
Shen Support Masteries
Unyielding helps you to stay a bit more tanky early game and also Veteran Scars helps Vorpal Blade's effect of healing Shen and his allies for a percentage of Shen's health.
Putting 21 points into Utility has great bonuses for gaining gold and experience and also gives some other cool things.
2 points in Fleet of Foot will help you with chasing down enemies and hitting those long-ranged Vorpal Blade's on enemies. Scout is also for utility purposes.
Summoner's Insight helps a bunch early game, giving you 10% off your Exhaust cooldown which can change a 2v2 fight in bot lane if you use it on the enemy AD carry. Alchemist also helps with more lane sustain.
Greed , Scavenger , Bandit and Wealth are needed with any support champion, definitely worth using.
Intelligence helps a bunch with cdr to your abilities AND items, so your Face of the Mountain and Locket of the Iron Solari's cooldown's are reduced.
Lastly, Wanderer is great for roaming or ganking other lanes and can help you get to teamfights quicker or get to minion-waves quicker.
Shen Support Summoner Spells
Flash is one of the most used summoner spell's and is probably the best summoner spell for chasing/escaping. Flash will help you get out of a fight with just one button or can help chase down enemies that are 1-hit away from dying.
Exhaust is also the #1 support spell. It can turn around any teamfight by dropping it on the enemy carry and will help with 2v2ing down bot lane by chasing or escaping.
Heal can save you and your teammates when low in a fight but can't save you or your ally from ignite or grievous wounds, if your teammate has Barrier then choosing Exhaust will be a better pick.
Ghost can help chase and escape but if you're getting burst down it's fairly useless. If you feel comfortable with Ghost instead of Flash go for it.
If you're in the mood to split-push using Teleport instead of Flash can give you an easy turret if there's no one in lane. I have considered using it many times and it can be fairly decent. But, if you fail a Shadow Dash life can be hell without Flash.
Abilities / Ability Sequence
Shen Support Abilities
Every 9 seconds, Shen's next attack deals 4 + ( 4 x level) + (10% of his bonus health) as extra magic damage. Whenever Shen hits an enemy with a basic attack, the cooldown is reduced by 1 second. Shen gains 10 / 20 / 30 Energy when he Ki Strikes.
Ki Strike is Shen's passive.
Tips for using Ki Strike.
- Try timing your Ki Strike to harass/poke the enemy. Usually going in with Shadow Dash > Vorpal Blade > Basic Attack will deal a solid amount of damage and if your ADC follows up, can lead to a kill.
- Ki Strike is your ultimate Split-Push ability, keep this in mind, go in to the turret with Ki Strike ready and come out just after you use it. Just 8 seconds of attacking the turret can deal 1/3 of it's health or more!
Shen throws a sword to target enemy, dealing magic damage. The enemy is life-tapped for 5 seconds; allied champions that damage a life-tapped enemy are healed over 3 seconds, with the duration refreshed upon subsequent damaging. If Vorpal Blade kills a target, Shen is healed for 33% of the normal amount.
Vorpal Blade is Shen's Q.
Tips for using Vorpal Blade.
- Use this to harass/poke.
- Use this to last hit minions with your Relic Shield, it gives lots of health with the 2.
- Vorpal Blade Life-saps. Use it on large minions so your ADC can make the most of the life-sap.
- Use Vorpal Blade as often as you can, using it on the minion your ADC is attacking can help a lot for longer sustains.
Shen is shielded for up to 3 seconds or until it is destroyed. While Feint is active, Ki Strike's cooldown reduction on hit is doubled (2 seconds).
Feint is Shen's W.
Tips for using Feint.
- Use Feint as often as possible while attacking turrets or enemy champions, for each basic attack hit while Feint is up, Ki Strike's cooldown is reduced by 2 seconds.
- Using Feint before a teamfight will help tank, but make sure you time it well because you don't want to waste it.
- With a full build (40% CDR), Feint can nearly ALWAYS be up, remember to use it as often as possible while attacking! You can go into a teamfight with full health and come out with full health if you keep it constant.
Shen dashes to target location, dealing magic damage and taunting enemy champions he collides with, taking half damage from those affected for the duration of the taunt. Shen gains 40 energy per enemy champion he collides with while dashing.
Shadow Dash is Shen's E.
Tips for using Shadow Dash.
- Shadow Dash Taunts but also deals Magic Damage, try not go in for last hit unless the enemy will get away.
- Shadow Dash can interfere with enemies abilities such as Fiddlesticks Drain, if a Fiddlesticks is following you, chuck a vorpal blade, tank the silence and fear and when he Drain's you, Shadow Dash into him and cancel his Drain. Fiddlesticks is also very squishy and him using up his drain can lead to a kill for you.
- Remember, Shadow Dash can dash over some terrain, use this to jump on enemies or to escape. Dashing in a straight line can be countered.
- Shadow Dash costs a lot unless you hit an enemy champion, keep that in mind before diving in, because if you miss, you wont have energy for Feint or Vorpal Blade.
Stand United (Ultimate)
Shields target other allied champion for up to 5 seconds or until it is destroyed. After channelling for 3 seconds, Shen teleports to the target's location.
Stand United is Shen's Ultimate Ability, default set as R.
Tips for using Stand United.
- Stand United can be interrupted, watch out for enemy Crowd Control effects.
- If an ally dies while channeling, you will not be teleported. Watch who you're teleporting to and check your/their surroundings first.
- Stand United can shield TONS of damage, split-pushing when it's 4v5 mid can be extremely helpful, you can get a turret, shield an allied carry, and teleport straight to the fight to deal some crazy damage.
- Stand United has an extremely long cooldown at level 1, be careful to use it wisely and check your lane BEFORE teleporting, leaving your AD carry can be dangerous when teleporting to top lane.
Shen Support Items
Face of the Mountain
For the items, it's a must that you start with a Relic Shield, this is your CORE ITEM. This will link with all of your other items and works against any bot lane enemies.
Why not an Ancient Coin or Frost Queen's Claim? Easy. Both these items give Mana Regen when Shen doesn't use mana but still has health right, and Relic Shield transfers the mana regen into health regen, making it more suitable for Shen. The Face of the Mountain item (upgraded Relic Shield) allows you to shield an ally also, great for in-lane battles. The Face of the Mountain also gives CDR and lots of health regen, PERFECT for Shen :) Along with starting with a Relic Shield, you can either purchase 2 Stealth Wards and a Sweeping Lens or 1 Stealth Ward, 2 Health Potions and a Warding Totem. The first start is better for late-game because your AD carry should have a Warding Totem anyway.
Your first back you should be able to afford 2 Rejuvenation Bead's and a Targon's Brace, this will give you awesome health-regen, more stacks on your Spoils of War, some health and even some armour to counter their ADC.
This item is your core for playing Shen support, it gives you awesome health regen, bonus health, cooldown reduction, a shield with a low cooldown and also the Spoils of War passive. One of the most perfect items made for Shen.
Warmog's gives great health regen also, and a **** load of health too. The health bonus initiates with [Vorpal Blade] allowing you and allies to life-sap even more on hit, creating great plays if you all play together and attack the same unit.
The Sightstone is a must for laning supports and can still come in handy late-game, but would be better to be swapped for a Locket of the Iron Solari or something more suitable. This is because everyone but you and the jungler should have warding totems to hold the baron and dragon and other bushes anyway.
The treads can be swapped with Ninja Tabi's if against high AD or a fed ADC, but these boots give bonus Magic Resist and Tenacity which help against AP and CC champions. Remember to follow what your enemies are building though and to build what is suitable against them.
The Sunfire Cape allows you to have a bunch more health for your Vorpal Blade's life-sap and armor which can be useful against AD champions. Sunfire's passive allows you to clear minion waves even quicker because you have no AoE for minions. If you're up against a fed AP carry just switch the Sunfire with a Banshee's Veil to really counter their moves.
This is a great item with Shen because of the 20% Cooldown Reduction, making everything a ton quicker, the health which allows MORE tankiness and MORE life-sap for you and your allies with Vorpal Blade. You are also given a bunch more health regen, along with your other items AND gives you 20% MORE health regen and life-sap with Spirit Visage's passive. That's not all though, it also gives a nice lot of magic resist. One of the items I like to say are made for Shen :)
If you're team is doing fine with warding using their trinkets, really consider swapping your Sightstone for a locket. It will give you 10% more cooldown reduction (maxing CDR with 40%), gives nearly as much health as your Ruby Sightstone would and gives you an active that when used shields you and all surrounding allies for a certain amount, also has a rather low CD. Locket's unique aura is also very convincing for late game teamfights.
This is where I will add ADC's that play well along-side Shen.
I have found Tristana's Rocket Jump to be very successful with Shen's Shadow Dash.
If Shen Shadow Dash's into the ADcarry, throws a Vorpal Blade then Ki Strike's ashe can chase the carry down with her slows as Shen picks them off with Vorpal Blade's and Auto Attacks.
More to be revealed soon!
Shen Support Comes to a Conclusion
Thank you for reading my first guide and I truly hope you enjoyed it, if you have any questions be sure to message me or comment, that goes along with feedback.
I spent a decent amount of time on the guide and wish you would vote +1 to help others find out about my work.
More guides will be coming soon, for now, enjoy Season 4 and enjoy playing a new way to play Shen!
Guide made by xDetroitRedWings (xDRW), all data, images and content was created by himself (unless referenced otherwise) and any replication of the content will be reported.
Added Edit Log
Changed masteries and changed added a new set of masteries.
Fixed runes (no longer cool-down reduction)
Added Christmas edits.
Edited text (fixed errors)
Huge bump, get support Shen popular!
Shen Support compatible with Pre Season 5
Welcome to 2015 ranked season! Changes and fixes