Soraka Build Guide by Lotionless
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Soraka, The Starchild
Hello everyone, and welcome, to my first ever champion build/guide on Soraka. This guide encompasses the recent changes to Soraka's moveset. Keep in mind that this is my first guide ever, so don't criticize too much, although constructive comments are very appreciated.
This guide is made as a mage-dps build for Soraka, it's not the conventional support build so don't think that's what I'm trying to do here. It's a different way to play her which I have more fun with.
On with the guide!
Pros / Cons
- Shreds though people's Magic Resist with Starcall.
- Starcall is now spammable, does more damage and has a much larger range.
- Has a silence with Infuse (which also does decent damage now)
- Has a global heal Wish which can be used to save people in a tight spot.
- Can survive extremely well in a fight, especially if played right.
- Can farm extremely well.
- Dominates lanes.
- Not a hard Champion to learn at all.
- Extremely fun to play.
- Very squishy.
- If the team is smart and focuses you, you have to be very careful.
- The AP ratios on Astral Blessing and Wish have been dramatically reduced, making her healing sub-par.
- Very hard to last-hit minions without using abilities.
- Needs at least a decent team to be able to win.
I take the usual 9/0/21, like with most casters. Getting the Spell Pen. and the necessary Utility tree masteries. Very simple masteries that helps her do damage and sustain in lane.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: Magic Penetration is obviously a very good choice when building offensive Soraka, as all her abilities are based off AP.
- Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration: These can be changed out for something else if you want, I just like the bonus Mana, especially since her Infuse doesn't grant her as much mana now.
- Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction: Because her Starcall is spammable, and the mana cost is so low, I like to be able to spam it more. These can be substituted for Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power or Greater Glyph of Ability Power if you want.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: More Ability Power = more damage.
- Ignite: Great spell to get that last little bit of damage off before they get away.
- Flash: Great for escaping in a tight situation. I use Flash on almost every hero.
- Teleport: Not my first choice, but still an option, especially if you're mid.
- Consecration (Passive): This passive is very helpful for early levels especially. If you get into a level 1 team fight, you'll be happy this is your passive, and so will your team.
- Starcall (Q): This is your main damaging ability. This ability is so good for farming too. It shreds enemy MR making it do more damage every time and helping out in team fights a lot. The cooldown just got reduced, the base damage increased, the AP ratio increased, mana cost reduced and range increased. Very spammable. Very damaging. Very awesome.
- Astral Blessing (W): This ability just got nerfed. AP ratio sliced in half, cooldown doubled. Basically you get the heal 1/4 as much as before. The heal is not good anymore but it's still better than not having a heal at all. Very underwhelming.
- Infuse (E): This ability is awesome. The ability ratio just got increased, the cooldown reduced. Both awesome for this damage build. It did get a nerf though too. The silence last 0.5 seconds less at max level and you no longer get double mana when casting it on yourself. Still a great ability though.
- Wish (R): Ahh Wish, the Anti- Requiem. The mana cost has been reduced by 100 at all levels, which is hardly noticeable. Oh yeah! The ability ratio got cut in half. Still works to save teammates and is still one of the higher scaling heals in the game. Still useful.
We want to max out Starcall as fast as possible because it's our main damage dealer and also shreds MR which helps the team. Then Infuse so you can lane forever and silence those pesky casters. Getting an early rank of Astral Blessing at level 4 is always an option if you're having a hard time in lane.
My Item Build:
- : We want these for the Magic Penetration so our spells can do even more damage.
- : This is what we want to get ASAP because it grants more as the game progresses. It also helps laning a lot. This item gives us health, mana, and Ability Power. All around great item on Soraka.
- : One of the best items for the new Soraka. This items gives us survivability and damage, the two things we need most. On top of that, all our spells slow the enemy! You haven't played Soraka until you've chased someone down with Starfall with one of these in your inventory.
- : Once you've gotten this item, you will be doing some ridiculous damage. I've usually won the game at this point but if you manage to build one of these, it's on.
- : Another heavy AP item that also gives armor, and a sweet activate. I'll build this before Rabadon's Deathcap if I'm being focused or dying too much.
- : One of the best items you can build on pretty much any Champion. With all the AP you're gonna have from all the other items, you need some survivability. Banshee's Veil is, in my opinion, the best choice.
Early Game: Laning
We usually start with Boots of Speed and 3x Health Potion and take mid, unless there's an obvious choice of someone else who should go mid (i.e. Karthus) then we would go in a duo lane. When in the lane we can spam our Starcall like it's nobody's business. The mana cost is so low and we can push our lane/harass extremely well with it. It's also really annoying having to last hit with her slow auto-attack. We should be able to keep the lane pushed, with relatively high health/mana, for a very long time. Harassing with Starcall and Infuse works very well.
Mid Game: Farming/Team Fights
Around level 11 we'll usually still not have gone b. If we haven't we definitely want to now. Usually have the first tower in our lane gone and am approaching their second one. With Starcall maxed out and a Rod of Ages we can do some serious damage and clear minions very fast. In a team fight we want to be spamming Starcall to not only deal some good damage, but to make the enemy team more vulnerable to our other AP Champions on our team. Mix it up a bit by throwing Infuse on their bursty-type Champion when they're out of position so our team can punish them. We use Astral Blessing pretty much whenever it's up because the cooldown is so long now we want to get as many heals in during a fight as we can. Obviously use Wish when someone on our team is low (or everyone on the team is). I also like to use it when I start to see the Requiem animation. (;
Late Game: Winning the Game/Team Fights
Most games we don't even get into the late game. Usually it's early surrenders for the other team. In the case that it does go to late game, we just keep farming up the minions and playing the same role in team fights as we did before. Be sure to keep the vital areas of the map warded because map control is probably the biggest part of winning this game.
Soraka is an extremely fun Champion to play. There are a few things that are gonna take some practice but for the most part she is very easy to pick up and play. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Upvote if you liked the guide, and please only downvote if you really think it's deserved. If you do downvote, please let me know what concerns you have with the guide so I can fix them. This is my first guide so I do appreciate any constructive criticism.