Volibear Build Guide by Creatortoo
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
This is my first guide so I decided to do it about Volibear because he's really fun to play.
Volibear is a great Tank, with a great damage output. He's core damage output abilities are Frenzy and Thunder Claws. He also excels at chasing enemies with Rolling Thunder and Majestic Roar.
Through the northern reaches of Freljord are some of the most unforgiving lands in Valoran, the Ursine have survived upon the region's barren, stormy tundra for centuries. As a fierce and respected warrior of the Ursine, Volibear devoted his life to the protection of his people and loyalty to his elder brother, the tribe's chief. When his brother was killed during a hunt on the tundra, the tribe looked to Volibear as his successor. It was an honor and a burden that Volibear had never expected, but he shouldered the charge with pride. However, by Ursine tradition, the tribe could not recognize Volibear as chief until he returned from a journey to the peak of their sacred mountain, a place forever shrouded in a thundering maelstrom. There, Ursine chieftains must speak to the storm itself, gaining clarity and wisdom to empower them as mighty leaders.
Donning the chieftain's traditional armor and enchanted gauntlets, Volibear began the long and perilous climb up the slopes of the mountain. When he reached the peak and gazed into the raging storm above, he saw a horrific vision of a Freljord utterly consumed by war. Amidst the carnage, the Ursine fell dead upon a bloody battlefield. Believing the vision to be an omen of things to come if he did not act against them, Volibear traveled to the capitol of Freljord. The Ursine had not ventured across the southern mountains in centuries and his appearance was met with unease. However, Queen Ashe recognized Volibear as a wise and powerful ally. In what Volibear considered the first step against a war-torn future, they forged an alliance. As part of their agreement, he joined the League of Legends in the name of a unified Freljord, representing the primal might of his nation on the Field of Justice.
"Few can weather the storm that follows in the wake of Volibear's roar." - Ashe, The Frost Archer
Pros / Cons
-Good damge output
-Hard to escape from
-Huge Health + Chosen of the Storm
- Needs stacks for Frenzy to work
- CC kills him
- Low damage without Frenzy
- Chronokeeper hater
- Chosen of the Storm (Passive)- I grants quick health regen went you go under 30% health, great when combined with spirit visage
- Q Rolling Thunder - it gives you 45% movement speed for 4 sec when moving towards a enemy champion in vision range, the your first attack flings the target behind you (not as far as singed).
- W Frenzy - Gives you up to 20% attack speed per auto attack, up to 60% with 3 stacks. After these 3 stacks you can bite a opponent dealing tons of damage. Also the lower the opponents health the more damage you do so use it as a last hitter for better results
- E Majestic Roar - Slows surrounding enemies for 3 sec and fears minions and monsters (doesnt fear dragon or baron)
- R Thunder Claws Each auto attack blasts a lightning that bounces up to 3 times to nearby opponents dealing magic damage
-Warmog's Armor is a great damage source for his W (Frenzy) and also adds durability
-Shurelyas Reverie shurelya's reverie Great item, gives HP, health and mana regen and 15%cooldown reduction. I prefer this over spirit visage for the mana regen which is very helpful early game and the extra Health. It can replace ghost due to similar abilities.
- Aegis of the Legion Good armor amgic resist item + it gives health which helps W Frenzyand its aura helps the whole team
-Randuins Omen Good armor and health plus a possibility of slowing a enemy champion that auto attacks you
-Mercurys Tread Always good to reduce CC and it gives magic resist
-Wits End Attack Speed helps with his Ultimate to maximize damage and gives more magic resist each strike.Also adds some magi damage to your damage. And you stack for W Frenzy faster.
-Trinity Force and Phantom Dancer they give great attack speed. Pick Phantom dancer if you want and can be more offensive due to higher attack speed, critical strik and movement speed. Pick Trinity Force if you need the tankiness
-Frozen Mallet Great Health and gives a slow,good when combined with - W Frenzy . Although I prefer other items beacuse volibear already has a slow and he can chase like hell with Rollin Thunder
-Berserker´s Greaves is great for your Ultimate and speeds up the stacks for W Frenzy
- Atma's Impaler Great item for Volibear, giveas a good amount of armor and with volibear's health giveas a lot of Attack Damage.
- Banshee's Veil helps his magic resist health and mana and also gives immunitie to one enemy ability every once in a while
-Spirit Visage increases your health regen with chosen of the storm
- Sunfire Cape Passive magic damage every second and gives good armor and health.
Lets you run away fairly easily. It covers the fact that Rolling Thunder only works when going towars a enemy target and combines grat when doing so it lets you get the enemy even faster.
-EXHAUST Good option, it helps volibear to get to his target easier and to keep up with the battle
-FLASH good spell great for catching up to enemies and surprise flings
-HEAL Good spell on volibear and when combined with chisen if the storm it can surprised opponents by how much live you have healed
-IGNITE Just good to finishing enemies with low health and defeating full hp ones
Tips on Playing Volibear / Weaknesses
- Always use E Majestic Roar after you fling somebody beacuse it makes it harder for them to run away and easier for your team to catch up
- Don´t get overconfident with Chosen of the Storm (Passive), even with is great healing you wont heal fast enough to tank the turret and your opponent specially if your opponent has stun, snare, slow or CC in general
-Always prepare your W Frenzy when facing an opponent and dont stop attacking if he is backing up beacuse when he comes back you wont be able to stack for Frenzy on time .
-Main Weakness good RANGED CHAMPIONS. They can attack you from far and if they have CC it is harder for you to fling them with Rolling Thunder
-If you get CC while trying to escape or chase, since Volibear has no escape mechanism it hits him very hard
-Champions with good damage outputs. It makes stacking for Frenzy more difficult.
Rolling Thunder: Volibear drops to all fours and runs faster if chasing an enemy champion. The first enemy he attacks is knocked into the air and flung behind Volibear.
Frenzy: Volibear's repeated attacks grant him additional attack speed. Once Volibear has repeatedly attacked three times, he can perform a vicious bite on his target.
Majestic Roar: Volibear lets out a powerful roar that damages and slows enemies. Minions and monsters are feared as well.
Thunder Claws: (Ultimate) Volibear channels the power of the storm causing his attacks to blast his targets with lightning that bounces to other nearby enemies.
Chosen of the Storm (Innate): Volibear heals rapidly for a few seconds when his health drops to a critical level.