This build is short, concise, and to the point, I won't be babbling on my many adventures with Fizz. I also won't be adding fancy pictures and colors, this is guide to Fizz, not a page to entertain you.
Do not refer to this build if you plan on using Fizz for the first time. You will die. Quickly. Guaranteed.
This build is for semi-advanced to expert Fizz players looking for some major killing potential. Adding additional information to this build will be considered if requested.
I am aware that the build only includes 5 items, the last item is of your choice. It is rare that you will get to the point of a complete build, 80% of games finish with boots, lich and nashor's tooth only. Consider the last slot as a place for consumables.
Pros / Cons
- Incredible Burst Damage
- Magic Resist
- No Need for Blue
- Tower Pusher
- Dies almost instantaneously (if you play like an idiot,I will give tips on how to avoid death)
- Feel useless late game (base tower pushing, will talk about that too)
HOW TO PLAY FIZZ
How to play Fizz:.
*GOLDEN RULE*: Never use Tidal/Trickster when not needed. This will allows you to escape quickly when ganked. Your ability to not use this ability will determine Fizz's death count while playing.
- Fizz can escape almost any situation with careful analysis of the current situation. The reason there is very little armor is due to Fizz's short period of enemy proximity time. IOW, you should make Fizz a hard character to aim at.
- Deal with the AP / Squishy types first. They usually hang out in back and are easily killed with Fizz. Your amount of magic resist should allow you to survive and get the kill. In this rare occasion, you should trickster to hop OVER the line of tank champion and ideally land ON the squishy target. Once on that champion, W/Q yourself AWAY from the bulk and ult towards the champion while walking away. This takes a lot of time and patience to master, but it is a game changer late game.
- Minions are your friends, surround yourself by them. Fizz’s passive allows him to neglect minions and walk through them noclip style. This works amazingly against champion’s whose ability is first come first hit. Not so good against skills that have penetrating damage (eg. Caitlyn’s Q).
- Spam Urchin Strike (Q) like there's no tomorrow. Playing bot, super easy, either pop out of bush with urchin and walk away (trickster if needed) or strike INTO the bush, thus the enemy champion wont be able to attack you saving you a trickster. This harassment will grant you lane domination, and let you get minion kills more efficiently.
- Don’t start attacking until level 3 ( aka you have Q,W,E up ). Focus on getting to lvl 3 as fast as you can through minion kills).
- Did I mention to only Trickster when necessary?
- Press W right before Q’ing onto a champion, W’s magic stacks up with Q’s, thus dealing an important blow with poison. Do this often to a single champion and something special will happen after a while (5-6 times in a row): whenever you will press W, the enemy champion will unconsciously back away, even though you had no intention of attacking. Use this to your advantage; your W now repels Champions! (Great for mid)
- Your R is the most precious thing you have after Trickster, use it wisely. It is most effective when proper anticipation has been practiced. Try and predict where champion will go to and shoot it there. Even if you miss, it’s not so bad, late game cool down is ~40 seconds, (~35 sec w blue).
- Use your ult to slow enemy champion and not solely as an attacking mechanism. If you see a teammate being chased, aim your ult directly at the friendly champion. By the time it reaches the spot, it will be a direct hit with the trailing enemy champion.
- Timing is everything with Fizz, practice the timing with E. Spam W/Q, and burst R/W/Q/E or W/Q/R/E/Q/W late game for an insta–kill.
- When using the W/Q combo, ALWAYS get a basic attack right after striking them. If trickster is up, and you have Nashor's, get a second one in there and immediately E to fall in front of the running champion, Q back to your initial position and you're out of there safely.
- Late game, Fizz should target a single champion and stick to that champion ONLY. Fizz can rarely kill multiple champions at once. Therefore concentrate on the squishiest opposing champion and constantly trickster out, heal, and repeat. Save your ult for final blows, or for slowing.
- Late game, Zhonya’s hourglass, becomes your best friend. Learn to use this item.
- Fizz is a OK tower pusher, push at your own risk. When laning phase is over, spot towers and attack them. If a champion comes to gank, trickster out. Repeat.
- Remember, dying with Fizz with this build is a product of lack of concentration, map awareness, and stupidity. Do NOT engage if your heart tells you not too, you WILL die. However 1v1's and 1v2's are easily manageable. Anticipation and quick reflexes are key with Fizz.
Start out with boots, 2 health, and 1 mana (Buy pots throughout the game, usually when shopping and you have ~150 gold left, spend the rest on health pots, and get into the habit of using them)
Make sure you have over 850 when backing for the first time. Depending on the gameplay:
- Good beginning, a kill or two --> Dorans Ring/Kage's lucky pick
- Bad beginning, getting killed --> Mercury's Treads/Dorans Ring
- Bleh beginning, no kills --> Sorcerer's Shoes + More Pots
The great thing about Lich First is it gives you the versatility of a build. Get Sheen if you need mana, mantle if you’re playing against a heavy AP character, or Blasting wand if you’re having a good game.
Finish lich whenever you want, but before completing Zhonya's
If you’re constantly attacking and feel you need cooldown, get fiendish codex before completing lich. Never get the stinger alone, get Fiendish and Nashor's, and not Fiendish, Stinger, Nashor's. Buy pots instead of Stinger.
Lich bane is an expensive item, although its Passive is what makes it worth the money. Every time W/Q is used, E or R, Fizz’s rod will glow yellow, indicating that Fizz’s next basic attack will deal additional magic damage equal to his AP. Late game, W/Q can easily deal close to 600 damage, fizz’s next attack (remember W is still active, plus Lich Bane’s Passive) will deal ANOTHER ~600 damage. This has cost you almost nothing in mana, and you have dealt 1200 damage in less than 1 second. Furthermore, you can do it all over in less than 4 seconds.
Zhonya's Hourglass Is expensive, but like Lich Bane, it helps you to either build AP (needless) or tanky (Chain Vest) while building it. Its Active is a crucial aspect of playing fizz and can help you stay alive during late game, where Fizz tends to melt away in team fights.
DeathFire's Grasp Oh god is this item amazing, build this late game to maximize its efficiency. Late game you'll reach around 400 AP where Deathfire's grasps damage will tickle the 50% mark of the persons health. ALWAYS first hit with Deathfires as its damage is controlled by the the amount of health the opponent has (More actual health, more damage). A devastating way to use Deathfires follows:
1. Ult towards the enemy, slowing him down and catching up to him
2. Pop deathfires (~ half his health is taken out) BEFORE shark comes out.
3. Shark comes out (~1000)
4. E ON enemy, slowing him down, W/Q AWAY from champion
5. Insta kill, 90% of the time. Repeat every minute.
Nashor’s Tooth is an unusual item for Fizz. It is not included in the build but it works. Here’s why:
- Fizz’s W is locked to his basic attack and Q, since you can only Q once every ~3sec, and W lasts 3 seconds, you need to take advantage of W. Nashor’s attack speed boost takes care of that.
- Nashor’s cooldown allows you to trickster more often, and leave blue other champions.
- Fizz is AP hungry, the AP that nashor offers is nowhere near a rabs but it definitely helps.
- Attack speed will allow you to solo towers mid games, a crucial ability for Fizz.
Finally, buy a needlessly large rod. You will build it into either Zhonya’s if you have been dying a lot. Or into a Rabadon’s if you’re having a slick game. It doesn’t happen often that you will have the chance to build a Zhonya’s AND a rab’s cap, but it does happen.