Yorick Build Guide by TimeMuffin
Mastery Tree Is Outdated
WARNING: These masteries are still using the old tree and have not been updated to the new tree by the guide author. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Sup guys, I'm TimeMuffin and this is my guide for Yorick - The Gravedigger. This is my first guide and I've put a great amount of effort and time into this guide. If you use this guide and enjoy, please leave a good rating as it will allow other people to experience this guide. I will appreciate any feedback you guys can provide and I will improve upon it.
Yorick is a great solo top champion, he is played well as a tank with short cooldowns, using his ghouls like zombies to swarm his enemies.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros / Cons
+ // Great zoning!
+ // Very tanky
+ // Can change team-fights
+ // Ghouls scale with health and AD
+ // Strong with short CD's
+ // Strong in the current meta
- // Can be mana starved/hungry
- // Damage drops late game
- // Weak vs heavy armour
- // Weak vs gap-closer Bruisers
0 / 21 / 9 offers tankiness from defense and mana per level and movement speed from utility. Which allows you to fulfill your role effectively.
- Greater Quintessence of Scaling Magic Resist: // Gives you extra magic resist that you lack.
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: // Allows you to have some useful early game AD.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: // Same as quintessence.
- Greater Seal of Armor: // Useful armour.
Flash: // Very useful for escaping and initiating.
Teleport: // Gives a free way to get back to base and buy.
Ignite: // Useful for finishing an enemy champion.
- Unholy Covenant: // This is a very interesting and cool passive. Your ghouls will scale off your AD and health, which is perfect because that's how you will be building. Whenever you are in a fight you will want to you use q, w and e to swarm your opponent and make you stronger. It will give you more damage and you will take less damage the more ghouls you have.
- Omen Of War (Q): // I see a lot of Yoricks maxing this and making a complete AD build. This is a bad idea, this should be used for utility. You can use this to gain a small sum of AD and then use it as a escape/intiating tool. You just want to make sure after you activate it, you basic attack an enemy.
- Omen Of Pestilence (W): // This is one of Yorick's best ability's. It's a nuke slow, slowing the enemy it's targeted with and slowing enemies around it. It does a fair amount of damage to boot. Use this in team-fights to single off enemies and against your enemy laner. If you slow you should be able to get an e off as-well.
- Omen Of Famine (E): // This is another great skill of Yorick's. It allows you to have complete sustain in your lane, this is what Yorick is known for. It gives life-steal when activated and then further life-steal when it attacks. Use this to stay in your lane, on your opponent if possible, but when pushed use on intruding minions.
- Omen Of Death (R): // This is a very difficult ultimate to get used to, however it will be able to turn team-fights around. Using this on an AD carry is the most efficient way to use it. Use it when the carry is on low health to bring them back, if you don't do it this way they probably won't die within the 10 seconds. You can also ult yourself, only do this when you believe you will benefit enough from it. Also remember this isn't like Mordekaiser ultimate, you use this on your ally's.
: // Enough to last you until about level 6 if you sustain well. I prefer to take more Mana Potion that Health Potion because you have your Omen of Famine. This is why I like to take Teleport also.
: // Gives you some early AD without have to go for something like a B. F. Sword, the mana and mana regen is also very nice. The passive is also amazing since you don't have to buy more mana items
: // I think Warmog's Armor is very viable on Yorick, this is basically all he needs for health. Frozen Mallet isn't great for him, you don't often get auto-attacks off anyway.
: // Gives you a little extra bit of health and health regen. The cool down reduction is also the bonus that we get from this item which make it quite useful. The unique active isn't too bad either.
: // This is your main item for general tankiness, it also does give health and health regen. The cooldown reduction is also pretty significant, 5% or not. Useful against AD carries that rely heavily on attack speed and again that unique active isn't bad.
: // This is your main item for armour and cooldown reduction. A massive 20% reduction! After getting all these items your cooldowns should be down 40%. Also this is useful against AD carries.
- : // Pretty much viable on any tank. Stops CC and gives you the magic resist that this one lacks.
// Yorick is a melee champion so it's dangerous for him to farm if you're against a ranged champion top, however his abilities are quite useful for farming. The abilities also have range so you could use Omen of Pestilence and Omen of Famine to last hit easily. If you have to go and farm at melee range you can quickly use your Omen of War to get out of there quickly. The point of Yorick is that he can easily zone out the other solo top, unless it's a champ like Malphite, then you're in for some trouble. You will want to decide which items you're farming for so don't recall unless you have enough money for what you want to buy. Last hitting is important for any champion, don't forget.
// In teamfights Yorick is very important as he is the tank and initiator. He should focus the AD carry, constantly spamming his Omen of War, Omen of Pestilence and Omen of Famine. His ultimate - Omen of Death is very important in teamfights. Use this on your AD carry and then focus the enemy team down. Omen of Death should really change teamfights.
I play Yorick mainly solo top, however if you've not played solo top very often you won't be aware of the different champions you may encounter. This section will cover champions Yorick will encounter top and I'll give you advice on how to beat them.
Renekton players are fairly easy to beat because they are so predictible. Renekton is an aggressive solo top champion, and will use his E- W- Q- E to try and lower your health. You have far more sustain than he has, however don't try to duel him - he's renowned for his dueling skill. Poke him with your W and E if you get the chance; don't attempt this if he has full fury. Play a passive lane, farm, wait for jungler gank and beat him later.
If you're struggling for his damage, buy a chain vest early.
Warding the map
This is where you should put your Sight Ward
- Yellow - To protect your junglers buffs.
- Blue - generally defensive wards to keep each laner safe.
- Red - Absolutely vital ward placement.
// Yorick is a very cool champion and is a great asset as a solo top for any team. His kit is very simple but his ultimate is hard to master. Once you have though you will be diggin' up your teammates from their graves and giving them penta kills
// Please upvote this guide if it helped you and feel free to ask any questions. Please think carefully before you downvote and tell me why you downvoted so I may rectify my mistakes. Please remember that this guide will be updated regularly with counters etc, so it won't contain all the information as soon as it's published.
Happy Grave-digging with Yorick.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
1/09/12: Guide released.
3/09/12: Added another build to counter AP.
11/09/12: Started updating Counters.
Yorick - Undertaking the Top Lane
Yorick enters a bar, there is no counter. (SEASON 3)
Yorick: Now with 40% CDR! | Updating a Lot... WIP
Yorick Item Build