Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Can I report people for troll votes?

Creator: Gandalfzer May 24, 2011 8:20pm
1 2 3
Gandalfzer
<Member>
Gandalfzer's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 8:20pm | Report
Ive finally made a good quality guide and i was wondering if I get any troll votes can i report there vote and get my percentage back?
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 8:23pm | Report
Not really sure.
Check here for a better answer.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 8:44pm | Report
No, you will not be able to. Matt MAY be bringing in a feature that lets you reset your score but "troll" votes represent a part of the community and their opinion, hence why they will not be deleted.
Australians, the best gamers in the world combined with the worst ping.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 1:57am | Report
You can always report but it depends on what you call a "troll vote"

As already suggested by Lugignaf there is a thread that will explain which votes can get removed and which dont.

And from my expirience 99% of the "troll votes" that ppl report are simply 100% valid votes without explanation.

If you would call a troll vote situation like this:
"bad"

consider this beeing as valid as
+1
"great guide"

You want that -1 removed? Than remove all the +1 that you got too probably.

Do your job. Don't cry for scores. If you are here for your own e-peen and score chasing, that means you dont understand how it works and tbh you are not a perfect person for a "guide making" (imho ofc).
You are doing it for the ppl, not for your own e-peen. Score is for them, NOT for you.
Think about it.
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 6:25pm | Report
"bad"

is not the same as

+1
"great guide"

In the first case there's clearly something wrong with the guide, or something that can be improved by the downvoter leaving a comment. If he doesn't then I classify him as a troll vote because he did not provide any sort of argument or suggestion.

In the later then the guide is good or the voter just doesn't have enough experience to be able to provide constructive criticism. The guide, however, has worked for him and deserves an Up vote.

On the one hand an upvoter can talk about what he likes in the guide, but it won't improve the guide at all. On the other hand a downvoter who talks about what he doesn't like in the guide will help the guide get better.
It's like when you do an exam or test. If you score 100% all you receive is your exam with a 100% written on it. If you don't get a perfect score then you'll get your incorrect answers highlighted. Is the teacher giving the 100% for no reason? No, she read the test but there's nothing else to say, just like a "+1 great guide".

Lots of people mistake troll votes and sheep votes as being the same type of vote, but they're entirely different.

Comments for downvotes should be mandatory but anonymous. Even if it's just to say they tried the build and it didn't work out for them, be it the user or the build's fault. If a guide works for skilled players but doesn't work for a skill-less player when other guides do then it's still the guides fault and I think it's extremely important for the writer to get such feedback.
If you're going to down vote without leaving a reason then you're nothing but a troll.

I am also a troll, there have been plenty of guides I've DV and I knew my reasons but still refrained from posting. Why do I also give troll votes? Because people are unpredictable and can be revenge-dowvoters. I don't lose anything from not commenting, the writer does. If I do comment then the guide might be improved, but I also might get ignored and get down votes. Unless the guide is bad and has a high score, which would be prejudicing thousands of people, I'm simply not willing to take that risk just to help the writer.
Until anonymous commenting is implemented most people will keep troll voting, including myself.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 8:51pm | Report
^Bad.

That is exactly what you should not do, you should NOT be afraid to vote.

Also, if someone wanted to revenge DV you, it wouldn't matter to them if you actually said your reason or just said -1 with no reason. Hell, most people would respect you more and not want to get revenge as much, if at all, if you actually say why you downvoted.

Don't do what you do.

You can just vote -1 and truly not like the guide but don't feel like saying why...you can say -1 pancakes, and your reason for not liking the guide is obviously because of pancakes.

The point of voting is to pick out the best guides and help the writers improve theirs if they didn't get too hot votes.

Not to NOT do that...

what kind of logic is that?

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 9:03pm | Report

^Bad.

That is exactly what you should not do, you should NOT be afraid to vote.

Also, if someone wanted to revenge DV you, it wouldn't matter to them if you actually said your reason or just said -1 with no reason. Hell, most people would respect you more and not want to get revenge as much, if at all, if you actually say why you downvoted.

Don't do what you do.

You can just vote -1 and truly not like the guide but don't feel like saying why...you can say -1 pancakes, and your reason for not liking the guide is obviously because of pancakes.

The point of voting is to pick out the best guides and help the writers improve theirs if they didn't get too hot votes.

Not to NOT do that...

what kind of logic is that?

Just today i down voted someone's guide for largely ignoring the strengths of the character he was building for, and not actually having a viable play style with that item build, and he down voted my guide with the following comment "I didn't read it, or try the build, but it looks stupid."

Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but because his guide has more total votes than mine, my down vote mad A LOT less difference to his guide than his made to mine.

Now, if you reward huge guides with small decreases per down vote, you are helping againt troll votes, but you are also hurting the people with legitimate down vote reasons because it doesn't hurt their guide, your guide goes to **** with even two troll down votes, and then you have to work very hard to get your guide back into any kind of shape where it will be seen outside a signature.

The whole rating system is a bit too ultra-capitalistic for me, but it is what it is and we all have to live with it.
Tri lane for life.
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 9:06pm | Report
But it only makes sense that way.

If you have 10/10 votes, it's obvious that you're going to be affected more by another vote than someone with 30/30 votes. It's simple math. If you were to try and put all guides on the same spectrum of voting it wouldn't work.

Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 9:13pm | Report
B-Wong wrote:

But it only makes sense that way.

If you have 10/10 votes, it's obvious that you're going to be affected more by another vote than someone with 30/30 votes. It's simple math. If you were to try and put all guides on the same spectrum of voting it wouldn't work.

I guess I'm talking specifically about stuff like the #2 Morganna build that doesn't get black shield until level 10, has a zhonya's ring in the build, and hasn't been updated for a year.

Except it has 500+ votes so it's going nowhere fast.
Tri lane for life.
Sacull_Kinslayer
<Member>
Sacull_Kinslayer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 9:56pm | Report
Welcome to the fun of guide building.

I had someone downvote my guide because it was the next score higher than his. I did not return the favor but I instead offered him some advice on his guide (which he actually took and changed his guide in lieu of the changes I suggested) and then he went and downvoted my other champion guide. Trolls will troll. But apparently karma has a sense of humor. His guide has a very low score now because he apparently copy and pasted most of the top guides body of work and just changed the items. What is the point if you are going to copy + paste?
Did I manage to assist you in any way? Hook me up by hitting that nifty +Rep button.

All guides have been archived due to my not being able to play LoL currently. The information is still there and is good but until I return they will be archived. I am able to keep them updated and current though.

Vladimir's Blood Resource. Designed for beginner's and beyond.
Vladimir's Blood Resource: Post Nerf Edition.
The Exemplar of Tanking: Jarvan IV .

Making a Guide by jhoijhoi This is everything you need to know about making a guide. Amazing.

...and Buffy staked Edward. The End.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide