Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Tips on Guide Writing

Creator: Jebus McAzn May 29, 2011 5:12pm
1 2 3
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 5:12pm | Report
It occurred to me that in the near future, MOBAFire might take it upon itself well to get a page that gives tips on guide writing, and how to improve it to be at the caliber of other top guides that are well written.

Said page would have tips on what to cover, what not to cover, what to emphasize, how to format, and how to present your build. There would be obvious tips, like "Don't list every item component in your item build" to the less-obvious ones.

This would be a community undertaking, most likely - unless the consensus is to elect a panel of well-established guide writers to write the chapters - but this thread is designed as an interest thread, to garner opinions on this idea, volunteers for writing, or suggestions for writing candidates and model guides.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 5:16pm | Report
I would like to see less skill explanations and a bigger tips section in guide. 95% of the content in most "Skills" sections is completely useless info. If there's something that isn't 100% obvious then you can just write it among other general tips for the champion.
""Toshabi took thy **** and strucketh Hotshot in his face 'thou art no god'" Toshabi 3:16" - Toshabi

"And then, TheJohn said something so Brazilian that it made all the Brazilians in Brazil turn to look at him" - Toshabi

"abloobloo ur triggering me" - Toshabi
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 5:17pm | Report
^Save it for the actual writing - again, this is an interest and opinion thread. :P
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 8:19pm | Report
I think this is a great idea, very often I explain to people what to improve upon/change in their guide, this would be easier, just link them to this.

I would help on this if you want :O

inb4 wRAth hate thread

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 2:22pm | Report
I'm interested ^^ Whenever I join a writing site of some kind, I always wished that there had been a mandatory to read thread about what the community is expecting from your writing that also links to any other important information (ie, BBCode thread).

In an ideal world, it'd be like the Summoner's Code Tribunal thing. Click to proceed or go back - then if people's guides were really ****, it'd be obvious they didn't read the help thread.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
Rudmed
<Editor>
Rudmed's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2011 6:59am | Report
Do it! Personally I know most people look at the build and items, but there are those few who acutally choose to deleve into the world of text. Not to mention I think some people are a little weak in this section.

"unless the consensus is to elect a panel of well-established guide writers to write the chapters"

^This I don't like. Its your build its your guide you should write it kinda thing going on in my head. Also guide writing is like anything else. At first you suck, but with practice you get better, and having the community help each other out will only expedite such a process.
orochinagi
<Member>
orochinagi's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2011 7:22am | Report
Not reading the wall of text (or part of it) ends up being stupid when looking at guides... Item order is never set in stone

@OP: Very good idea. it's always nice to have general guidelines :)
50. Most importantly, yes, they Have Baron warded. No, I don't want to go for him at the moment.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2011 12:50pm | Report
Rudmed wrote:

"unless the consensus is to elect a panel of well-established guide writers to write the chapters"

^This I don't like. Its your build its your guide you should write it kinda thing going on in my head.

He is saying write the chapters of this guide writing tip guide, not the actual chapters of people's guides...
Bloofyre wrote:
May a squadron of beautiful vaginas find their way to your crotch by day's end.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Rudmed
<Editor>
Rudmed's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2011 1:03pm | Report
Ah...Well I misunderstood that.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 2, 2011 1:09pm | Report
Yea lol we aren't gonna spend time writing other people's guides xD

1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide