Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Smart casting better or no?

Creator: cooper56 April 14, 2012 8:00pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2012 9:35am | Report
I just don't need that extra help. I click very fast after pressing the button, so smart casting might take .3 seconds off my entire combo. I also very much like being able to cancel ability casting by adding right-click if necessary. You can't do that with smart casting.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2012 9:38am | Report
animorte wrote:

I think smart cast is just making the game a little easier. I will not use it. I don't need it to hit the enemy or get my spells of quickly. I think you should learn to fix your mistakes, not find something that completely prevents them. I thought this game was about skill, not letting the computer decide who has the best 'skill-set' and the computer do the work for them.

Try as you may, a person who regular casts an Annie or Ryze burst combo will ALWAYS execute it slower than a person who smartcasts it, simply because of how many times you have to click. Smartcasting is not an "easy way out", it is simply a different method of playing that has advantages and disadvantages, and personally, I feel that the pros thoroughly outweigh the cons.

Personally, I've used smartcast for months on every single champion, with almost every skill (including summoners). It takes getting used to, but I've grown very fond of it and I'll never go back. The only time I don't use smartcast is on tricky abilities that are crucial to land, such as Ashe arrow, Lux laser, and Veigar stun (which is very difficult to land if you don't have the reticle). Other abilities such as Nocturne or TF ult can be annoying since you don't necessarily know their range, but you can always just mouse over the skill.
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2012 10:09am | Report
You have many valid points. I just don't know if that extra second is really worth taking months to master smart casting when I have been doing well enough without it for almost 2 years now.

I have witnessed the bot reaction time though. That speed.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2012 1:28pm | Report
only issue with smart casts is typically AoE abilities and skill shots can **** up considerably. Or that's what I've seen. Directional AoE like Morde's Siphon of Destruction or Kassadin's slow can **** up too.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2012 1:34pm | Report

only issue with smart casts is typically AoE abilities and skill shots can **** up considerably. Or that's what I've seen. Directional AoE like Morde's Siphon of Destruction or Kassadin's slow can **** up too.

It's weird with AoE cones.
Cho, Annie and Morde don't have their cones tethered to them while Graves and Karma do.
The untethered ones make you walk to where you cast it instead of just casting it in that direction. It's weird and stupid IMO.
True love is found only in yourself.
Acid Reigns
<Member>
Acid Reigns's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2012 1:49pm | Report
@lugi it's because it makes sense that way. As annie, your Q has a much longer range than W, so if it was tethered, you couldn't Q > W, you'd have to Q and then walk up to them and then W, this cuts out the middle step, cho is the same way. However, on someone like graves, or MF, you don't want to walk up to melee range to do it, so it is tethered.

On topic, why the hell does everyone seem to have such a huge problem learning smart cast? When I swapped mine over it took MAYBE 30 seconds to get used to, I don't understand how it's complicated...

@OP, smartcst is a lot better, but if you can't get used to it, and do better with normal cast, then use normal cast. You have a lot more success with it apparently, why would you cripple yourself because other people say it's better?
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2012 1:55pm | Report
Yeah, probably deals with the fact that AoE cone (untethered) are well untethered, so it doesn't treat them like AoE skill shots, it treats them as ranged targeted abilities ergo the persistent path TOWARDS your target location. Like an Annie Q or Ryze Q. If the target is out of range, you keep moving towards them until you get in range.

I've also seen smart casts for AoEs actually target behind, rather cast in the opposite direction they were intended for.

I don't fully understand the reasoning behind teathered or unteathered cone based AoEs, as in why are there 2 different kinds rather than 1 type. (disregard)

Oh well, I still havent gotten into smart casting, idk why.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2012 3:52pm | Report
animorte wrote:

You have many valid points. I just don't know if that extra second is really worth taking months to master smart casting when I have been doing well enough without it for almost 2 years now.

It took me about two days to get used to smartcasting. Honestly, if you play one game with it, it might be bumpy, but you should be able to adapt within the next 2-3 games.
Vitigam
<Member>
Vitigam's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2012 4:20pm | Report
animorte wrote:

Months?

I use Smart-cast on all the champs I play, I was doing fine by the 2nd game.
Thanks to Miss Maw

Check Out All These Peeps Who Make Sigs <3
LaCorpse, Jhoijhoi, Miss Maw, Arcana3
Xiron
Vitigam
<Member>
Vitigam's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 15, 2012 4:22pm | Report
The one issue I have is that they move out of range, you keep moving towards them till you reach the range, and you can't tell what the range is, unless you the champs very well.
Thanks to Miss Maw

Check Out All These Peeps Who Make Sigs <3
LaCorpse, Jhoijhoi, Miss Maw, Arcana3
Xiron
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide