Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

When players copy the pros

Creator: Dotter July 5, 2011 1:17am
1 2
Dotter
<Member>
Dotter's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 5, 2011 1:17am | Report
Hi dudes.
During Dreamhack and after it, I have seen tons of players, who copy the pros builds and their playstyle. While this is in no way surprising, I sometimes see it as a problem.
What I am talking about is mainly:
1) Players, who do not farm at all with supporters
2) Players, who try to copy a certain pro's playstyle.
3) Players, who copy the pro's build completely.

So what is the problem with that? It is pro players, who are copied, so why wouldn't that be an effective way of playing?
Well, it could be effective, if the average player was better. But the problem, however, is that the difference between an average player and a pro is enormous. The average player simply can't perform the things that a pro player can. More specifically you could see the problems as this:

1) Players, who do not farm at all with supporters
This was also done before Dreamhack, but way much during the tournament. It can be a fine way to babysit a ranged carry, but what if the ranged carry fails to farm that much? I've played against lanes, where the supporter didn't last-hit, while the ranged carry still failed to get a farm advantage, rendering the two players kinda useless in mid-lategame. This could simply be because they are bad, but isn't that the problem with it? Many players in normal games aren't good enough to last-hit and support the ranged carry, in order for them to get that advantage from a creep-fed carry.
To me it seemed like, they were doing things, that really didn't suited their playstyle. That leads us to the next problem:

2) Players, who try to copy a certain pro's playstyle.
We all know Hotshot's famous Nidalee no-ban game or Shushei's sick Gragas game in Dreamhack. After those matches I saw tons of players, attempting to copy those two pro's way of playing the two given champions.. needless to say that 90% of the players failed miserably. Again it could just be bad players, but couldn't it also be players, playing a different style than their own? It seemed like the players I faced tried to do things that they weren't capable of doing. I've seen it on many of the champions that really dominated certain games in Dreamhack. AP Alistar, AP Mordekaiser etc. The AP Mordekaisers I saw right after the Xan vs TSM game, seemed to be used to be more tanky and they died really often. They completely copied the builds, which the pro players used..

3) Players, who copy the pro's build completely.
As I said before, a lot of player completely copied the builds, which Shushei, Hotshot and all the other pros used in the matches in Dreamhack. Do not take my criticism of the copying as critics against the pro players' builds, they all worked really well for them. It is aimed at the simple-minded player, who thinks that they can do the same as a pro, if they build the champion the same way. I think it is fine to use the same builds as more experienced players, that's kinda what we have guides for, but I say player copy the pro players' builds in games, where far more situational item was needed. The Mordekaiser kept going for that Gunblade, even though he obviously lacked survivability, the same thing with the AP Gragas and the AP Alistar.

Enough with me rambling.. I just think it can be a problem when people completely copy other people's way of playing. I know I have guides on this site myself, but they are not made to copy my playstyle. People tend to learn a champion from a guide, then direct their knowledge in to their own way of playing. A player needs to know his capabilities with certain champions and also that you can't simply copy-paste a pro's build and use it in every match, just because he pwned with it. Playstyles are individual and item builds are situational.
This is just my humble opinion on this subject.

There's alot of text above and some of it might be misunderstood, but I hope you can follow what I mean..
What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree or am I completely wrong?
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 5, 2011 3:43am | Report
1) Nothing wrong with this. Best way to play most of the time. If you're the support all you have to do is tab and check your lane partner's farm, and then start last hitting if they're failing.

2, 3) These things have been proven effective by the pros, therefore they are less of a gamble to use the pros ideas rather than your own.

1, 2, 3) Most players are bad. They are gonna be bad whether they're copying the pros or doing their own thing. That's why people copying the pros seem bad a lot of the time.
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 5, 2011 4:11am | Report
1) Don't be a noob; take every lasthit your partner will miss. Even high elo ppl miss lasthits.
Soraka's attack is almost too slow to do that tho >.>

2&3) Only a problem if the player himself is bad.
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
Dotter
<Member>
Dotter's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 5, 2011 4:25am | Report
Yeah, but then I probably just happenede to face more bad players during Dreamhack and after..
But the problem with copying the pro players' builds is that item builds are situational and those I've seen copied the pro players' builds, even though they weren't that viable in the given match..
But I guess that you are right about them being bad players in most cases..
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 5, 2011 4:49am | Report
I don't have full understanding of why pros choose any given item they use, or at least I think I don't. Therefore, I don't copy their builds.

My logic goes that when I become good enough to use that build, I will figure it out myself/build something better.

Honestly, if you want to become good, figure as many things out yourself as possible; at least don't use things you don't understand.
Whated#79092
<Member>
Whated#79092's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 5, 2011 4:58am | Report
Rushing Infinity Edge after Dorans Blade is very hard. Without boots you cannot really escape. And I think this was done with Ashe in Dreamhack? Or am I totally wrong? Anyways Rushing I.E with Ashe is really high risk for giving few free kills when you cant escape. Or for some reason position yourself wrongly.

-Whated
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Xiaowiriamu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 5, 2011 5:41am | Report
I didn't read any of it, but i agree to disagree
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 5, 2011 7:18am | Report
It's the players being bad. The build has nothing to do with it and if their trying to play to a new playstyle and failing it's their own fault.

Booshido
<Member>
Booshido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 5, 2011 7:45am | Report
just let people play how they want, people care way too much what other people do
redeux
<Member>
redeux's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 5, 2011 7:55am | Report
This is no different than players coming to mobafire/leaguecraft and copying a build and still playing poorly. It's the player, not necessarily the source.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide