Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Why is varus under used?

Creator: cooper56 July 21, 2012 5:57pm
cooper56
<Member>
cooper56's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 21, 2012 10:39pm | Report
tehAsian wrote:

His E can go over walls. That means if they want to chase they have to waste their Flash.

MF's escape is her 600 MS at level 1, with Make it Rain slow.

Sivir has a Spell Shield and 2 move speed buffs.

Alright, to everyone who says Varus is bad:

Not true.

The lack of an escape can be compensated with good warding coverage and smart play. It doesn't matter if Alistar is coming down the river to gank you, if you warded that far enough it's not going to matter as you can back off and snare him while you run away.

Varus is an AD Carry and is innately strong late game. He has godlike poke, with a heal reduction so they can't heal it off, and enough utility in his ultimate that it can potentially be as effective as a Morgana ultimate. Maybe even more as it pretty much FORCES the enemy team to split up or get 5 man snared.

His lack of mobility in a teamfight doesn't mean anything if his opponents can't reach him. Again, it comes down to his ultimate stop people from getting to him. A 2 second snare is definitely enough for your team to react and burst down that Jax or Irelia or for you to get away.

His steroid is reliant on snowballing fights, yes, but that's good. Your team will focus squishies anyway right? Your Nautilus will ult that fed Cass right? Then boom free 40% AS.

From what I see, he's not any worse than champions like Cait or Ashe. Its kind of funny how people are comparing him to champions like Vayne or Kog who are the absolute best and who always will be, when they aren't comparing or analyzing him to what can make him viable.

Her ms is only out of combat
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 21, 2012 10:56pm | Report
Her MS is until she gets hit.

Strut
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
SkullzX
<Member>
SkullzX's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2012 1:50am | Report
Kinda funny because I know a lot of people who were going crazy for varus than never played him a lot and draven I knew guy who played him and only him for a week almost. Varus got over hyped and then underused draven got hyped then used a lot from what i'v seen XD. also varus ult is an escape :P long cd as well!
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2012 2:50am | Report
I actually think Varus's true viability might lie in playing him mid and affording your team a new kind of comp overall.

As an ADC though his lack of mobility and right click steroids make me feel he is generally inferior, although his movement speed is quite nice.

Late game a carry's skills for damage almost don't matter, unless they directly make their crits bigger somehow.
cooper56
<Member>
cooper56's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2012 8:24am | Report
tehAsian wrote:

Her MS is until she gets hit.

Strut

Okay so your telling me an ad carry wont get hit in a fight. When she does how does she escape other than slow which varus also has. plus his auto attacks longer range.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2012 8:42am | Report
A good AD carry has good positioning cooper, you'd know that if you weren't too busy trying to rip down everyone else opinion to try and strengthen your own.

@Duff: The issue I see with Varus is that his W is rather hard to spread, his kit is so AoE based, but his playstyle and lack of mobility prevents him from reaching his full potential.

He's essentially pre-rework Twitch, his main tool for spreading his "poison" is his AAs, but unlike pre-rework Twitch he doesn't technically have a "reliable" way to proc his damage bonus.

Now with the Twitch rework and the introduction of poison cask Varus (though new) feels outdated. His AS steroid is so unreliable and feels lack luster in team fights. His cool downs are outrageously long early game, and his ultimate does nothing to boost his damage. It's Ashe arrow without the longer range and slow to additional targets hit. He needs a more reliable way to proc his W damage.

I really like Varus, but I understand that he is situational at best, Tristana outclasses him and she's one of the original champions.

EDIT: AP Varus otoh is sleeper OP.
cooper56
<Member>
cooper56's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2012 9:07am | Report

A good AD carry has good positioning cooper, you'd know that if you weren't too busy trying to rip down everyone else opinion to try and strengthen your own.

@Duff: The issue I see with Varus is that his W is rather hard to spread, his kit is so AoE based, but his playstyle and lack of mobility prevents him from reaching his full potential.

He's essentially pre-rework Twitch, his main tool for spreading his "poison" is his AAs, but unlike pre-rework Twitch he doesn't technically have a "reliable" way to proc his damage bonus.

Now with the Twitch rework and the introduction of poison cask Varus (though new) feels outdated. His AS steroid is so unreliable and feels lack luster in team fights. His cool downs are outrageously long early game, and his ultimate does nothing to boost his damage. It's Ashe arrow without the longer range and slow to additional targets hit. He needs a more reliable way to proc his W damage.

I really like Varus, but I understand that he is situational at best, Tristana outclasses him and she's one of the original champions.

EDIT: AP Varus otoh is sleeper OP.

Funny since ur one ripping down my opnion of varus being good. Now your trying change your argument of no escape and say its all positioning if it was then why would u say he has no escape being an issue.
Fox Rage
<Member>
Fox Rage's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2012 9:11am | Report
No need to get all *****y guys ^^'

IMO, I find Varus to be really strong early on, but I feel like he falls off pretty hard late game sadly.

+rep me and you'll get good karma, wich means you won't be reincarnated into a rock! Isn't that awesome?

But yes this idea has been discussed more than Pam Anderson's tits in a plastic surgeons office.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2012 9:28am | Report
cooper56 wrote:

Funny since ur one ripping down my opnion of varus being good. Now your trying change your argument of no escape and say its all positioning if it was then why would u say he has no escape being an issue.

No, I was offering valid legitimate easily testable reasons, not opinions biased by ignorance and stupidity. MF has strut, it isn't much but it is a tool that gives her superior mobility to Varus. I said "Varus is situational" and his kit, although fun lacks viability right now. I've mentioned now at least 2 times how I like Varus, but know that his viability is suspect because bot laners like Graves/Ezreal/Tristana have strong high mobility kits...Even Draven has a stronger kit than Varus in terms of mobility in bot lanes. He has his move speed buff and a ranged AoE knock back.

You're entitled to your opinion about Varus, but please, refrain from attempting to defend your position with more opinions. I like Varus a lot, he's good fun, but if I had to go bot lane I'd prefer the safety of some sort of escape.
Hateryx
<Member>
Hateryx's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 22, 2012 9:30am | Report
Compared to most ADR carries, such as Caitlyn, Graves, Corki, Vayne, Varus is kinda inconvenient to play because he doesn't have any mobility or utility ability that would help him avoid or escape a full force attack from enemy team.

Sole Credits to LaCorpse for this awesome sig!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide