Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Can't write more chapters? BUG?

Creator: ThaKinetic May 1, 2012 11:12am
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2012 2:23am | Report
@jhoijhoi, that's what I mean about the printer friendly version. It does exactly what you're saying with the revert to old button, it loads the guide in a view that has everything on one page. We can call it something else but that's the idea. It could cause issues if people start using it heavily though.

If we decide against multi-page guides we will keep all the other new features, including tabbed comments. We're going to keep an eye on daily comment volume after the change to make sure there are no negative effects.

The load times are bad regardless, and I'm working on that. They are much worse for members than they are for guests though, due to the caching issues I've outlined above. TBH I'm considering enabling the profanity filter, for members, just for guides. This way the guides themselves can share a cache between members and guests and load times will increase dramatically. I think people care more about their precious cursing in comments and discussion than they do in guide text ;P
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2012 2:26am | Report
That's a very reasonable compromise regarding the language filter, Matt. The people who use the forums are regular members and are more comfortable around each other. Guides are more public and it wouldn't do any harm to censor cuss words in them.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2012 3:13am | Report
Yeah I kind of figure the places where people would be most upset about the profanity filter is comments, forums and private messages. Those are 3 areas where caching doesn't have quite as significant a benefit either. The rest of the site it can make things much faster, especially guides, and I think people can live with it there, especially in exchange for snappy load times.
Nyoike
<Member>
Nyoike's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2012 5:36am | Report
Matt wrote:

Anyways, all that said... Nyoike, are you imagining that every page load is going to be as slow as the first? For example, a guide viewed as a member with no caching takes 5 to 10 seconds to load. Are you concerned that every sub-page is going to take that long? Because it will take a fraction of that. Not only is there MUCH less work being done now, all of the work I'm doing (described above) to reduce load times will affect the smaller pages. Further to that, if I could share the guide caches between members and guests, then the load times would become negligible.

It does still require more clicking, and if you frequently scroll around through guides while in-game, that could become very combersome. This is a more acceptable reason, IMO, to vote against multiple pages. However, a solution might be to offer a printer-friendly version that shows the entire guide and cheat sheets on one page... This would take a long time to load due to no caching and massive page, but you could use it for those times when you just want to have one specific guide up while playing. The rest of the time you could take advantage of the speed and features of the regular multi-page guides.

Anyways, this is a sticky situation. We are still deciding what to do with it.

Noooooo, not that long for each page, but if you were to time going through the entire guide, the load time that is, then would it not be longer to have to have each page load? Each page would take a fraction of the time that loading it all at once would, but if you add it all up, would it not be the same or even larger due to ads and what not?

And I support the "1 page cheat sheet" idea, I really don't like having to click though things, seems cumbersome, I would much rather have a slightly larger load time and be able to jump all over the guides whenever I need.

So I guess I would not use the page feature, I would support the profanity filter in guides to increase load times, I support just about everything you are doing to increase load times. I just don't like pages. So if you do come out with the page feature, I would greatly appreciate that whole "printer friendly" version or whatever it will be called.
To be updated soon!
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2012 6:45am | Report
There would be some overhead on each page to load the header and footer, yes. Not much. With these new changes in they will account for 10-20ms of build time, maybe less. The rest of the load will be devoted only to the chapters that appear on that page, which you would have to have loaded anyways on the main page.

The ads are currently being loaded synchronously which means they can stall and delay the page, we are in the process of making them load asynchronously as they do on dotafire. This means they will no longer delay the loading of the page in any way. You will still have to load them on each page, which will take some bandwidth, but the rest of the page will continue loading regardless of what is happening in the ads.
Nyoike
<Member>
Nyoike's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2012 11:17am | Report
I understand all of what you are saying and you just reinforced my point. If you read the entire guide You have to load everything anyway. The needingto load each page again will cause it to be slightly longer. However if someone only wants to read say the last two sections of the guide the load speed will be incredibly faster as they will only need to load hose last two sections and not the huge amount of data that was originally above it.

I guess I'm partial to a slightly longer original load time and being able to jump throughout the pages without needing to load more data every time. So if you do have the page setup go live I would appreciate a way to switch between the two. Like when you click to view the guide you can select paged view, if the author has it setup, or load it "printer friendly". I can photoshop up a quick example when I get home tonight. It wouldn't require too much effort to import the two styles into An interchangeable choice.

Just more of my two cents.
To be updated soon!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2012 3:58pm | Report
Matt, my Vayne guide still doesn't show masteries/skilling order in the new format.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build-new/vindictive-vayne-90744/1?revision

In the introduction, I have both masteries and skilling orders, but neither turn up.

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2012 6:20pm | Report
It's all moot, we've pretty much decided not to do it. We can't seem to get a big enough focus group looking at / voting on this, it's too risky given the number of down votes it has gotten from what votes we have received, and we're not exactly losing people for NOT having paging.

We're going to put it up without paging and focus on the performance issues as best we can given the size of those pages, and put multi-page guides on the back burner.

TBH I'm a little surprised at the reactions (and not gonna lie, I'm let down). Every time we've brought this up in the past people have been excited about it and told us they wanted it. I personally really like it and I think it makes those massive guides look that much more professional. Doesn't matter though, I guess overall people aren't ready for it.

@jhoijhoi, I've done a pile of fixing on the back-end, we will be putting it up soon and that is all fixed. I've also rewritten many of the templates for guides in php for speed. We are hoping to have it all up this week.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2012 6:51pm | Report
What what what, Matt? There were all positive reviews, and the only outspoken ones you have talked with and discussed.

o.O

Don't tell me it's not going on.

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2012 8:19pm | Report
It's not, at least for now. Flash and I have spent a lot of time over the last week looking at this and discussing it. We've decided it's not ready yet. Aside from the feedback we've received, we're also just not 100% happy with the implementation. We need to get the new guide page live because it's starting to hold up other projects, so we can't sit and deliberate it forever.

We're still open to discussion about it, but for now we need to keep things moving forward :)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide