Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

[Read] Hyper's clean-up project

Creator: hypershatter May 25, 2011 10:49pm
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2011 6:56pm | Report

Few people would read it, and few people who do would be influenced enough by it to actually change their voting methods.

I'm actually interested in knowing when do you guys UV/DV/Ignore.

I upvote any guide I find suitable to be in the first place of the respective champion's list.
I downvote any guide that I don't. I might downvote every single guide from a champion if none is close to perfect. If a guide is good but has some things that are wrong I'll usually give my opinion and downvote if they don't follow my advice.
I ignore pretty much all guides where I don't know enough about the champion.

EDIT: Having vet's votes and opinions highlighted would be awesome.

Also, having the guide only get archived when the champ or an item gets outdated is wrong. Any guide that doesn't receive any kind of support from the writer should be archived.
It takes 1 minute every month to edit and publish a guide. There are no excuses to not updating.
Jet
<Member>
Jet's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 6:37am | Report
a lot of guides should be archived, mainly because of hilariously low scores (33% guides with 10 votes still on the website, etc) and hilariously outdated (top morgana guide, lol, people still think her AP ratios and damage is good)

i think i've upvoted one guide legitimately, and that's only because she actually used triforce on irelia and explained why the **** it's the best item on her

there's no real guides on this website that say "hey, i actually know my champion and how to use it whatever situation is thrown at me" - most guides just list one situation / two, and that's why i'm probably not going to upvote anytime soon

(hidden hint: understand how to combat laners, out of lane movement and team fight positioning then i'll upvote)
Jet has been banned for trolling and blatant racism.
Booshido
<Member>
Booshido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 9:58am | Report
you can vote on guides so threads like this don't have to be made, why would you want to share what you dont like about a top rated guide this offers nothing positive to the community only flame wars, some guides might not deserve top spot, and for that reason you down vote it, not makinga thread to advertise people to downvote a guide. Madmacks ashe guide will be so high for so long and it's ****, but something like this is not going to help.

edit: yes the guides are pretty bad on this site and for that reason, decent people don't refer to mobafire, but calling out guides is defiantly not the way to do it.

edit: suggestion: if a guide has been updated after X amount of patches that have involved that champ or guide has been edited for a X amount of time in general, a "(outdated)" text should automaticly be added to the guide

and if a guide that is "outdated" and still at the top, say... madmacks ashe guide, 1000 votes "Ashe guide of awesome by madmack (outdated)" if it been outdated for a week or so maybe the % of the guide should slowly decay? allowing the best guides and people who want the best guides slowly rising to the top. again, just a suggestion.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 11:47am | Report
I actually really like that idea.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 1:19pm | Report
TBH, I try to help guides. However, when I see guides with snowball items or just a plain and ******ed item build, I can hit the Back Button.

Edit: There has been discussion about forcing guides to be updated with Patch Version 1.###.###.##. If the author does not confirm their guide is updated, it'll just simply disappear from the 'top rated guides' or whatever the final decision will be. That feature that is coming "soon" will bring new fresh content to MOBAFire, and it forces guides to be updated.

Booshido
<Member>
Booshido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 2:09pm | Report

I actually really like that idea.

thanks =D
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 5:04pm | Report
Xaioli wrote:

TBH, I try to help guides. However, when I see guides with snowball items or just a plain and ******ed item build, I can hit the Back Button.

Edit: There has been discussion about forcing guides to be updated with Patch Version 1.###.###.##. If the author does not confirm their guide is updated, it'll just simply disappear from the 'top rated guides' or whatever the final decision will be. That feature that is coming "soon" will bring new fresh content to MOBAFire, and it forces guides to be updated.

I feel like this is much stronger than the "2 month system". A new patch could make a build completely irrelevant (deny Gangplank) and all builds should be categorized with the latest patch they were updated in (Leaguecraft does something like this). When you look at the top rated builds, first they show the builds categorized by highest score ONLY for builds updated in the latest patch - then they show the rest of the builds categorized by highest score for all builds updated two or more patches ago.

Example:

Ezreal Build - 79% (Updated 1.0.0.119)
Ezreal Build - 72% (Updated 1.0.0.119)
Ezreal Build - 86% (Updated 1.0.0.115)
Ezreal Build - 82% (Updated 1.0.0.107)
Ezreal Build - 81% (Updated 1.0.0.118)

So it's like there's a "mini-list" of the builds that apply to the CURRENT metagame and then a list below that of top rated builds.

Ideally the first build that shows up will also be the highest rated, showing that the guide author is updating his/her guide every new patch.

Perhaps there would be a button that says "Display by score" and another that says "Display by latest update", with the system described above being the DEFAULT OPTION for all users.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 5:07pm | Report
I really hope it gets implemented soon. Something like every 3 or 4 patches you have to make sure it's up to date otherwise it'll get archived. Vets/mods should be able to do something to confirm that guides are up to date if the author doesn't.
"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." - Albert Bandura

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our futures." - Edward Snowden
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 5:14pm | Report
Searz wrote:

I really hope it gets implemented soon. Something like every 3 or 4 patches you have to make sure it's up to date otherwise it'll get archived. Vets/mods should be able to do something to confirm that guides are up to date if the author doesn't.

In the future, I hope that Matt implements the ability for moderators to have more guide control, such as being able to edit it directly (this is useful for removing spam, and would allow us to keep the "up-to-date" guides that the author hasn't updated) as well as the permanent deletion and the irreversible archival options (these last two are already being worked on, according to Matt).
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 29, 2011 7:09pm | Report

So, you are saying, if two guys happen to have the same build and similar item descriptions but are in no way affiliated, you are just going to delete their guides, or keep one and then one person just gets unlucky and gets their's deleted?

No. I'm saying it's annoying. I'd imagine it would be particularly if you came up with an idea and it got a lot of downvotes and two weeks later some other random person came out with the same thing (or something very nearly the same) and somehow got a higher rating. I've never had this happen personally, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out that it had.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide