Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Underwhelming scout system

Creator: Vengenator July 19, 2015 6:40pm
1 2 3
Vengenator
<Fabulous>
Vengenator's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2015 6:40pm | Report
71 scouts (150 rep needed)
22 scouted guides (2 scout points needed)

628,470 users
3111 s4-s5 guides

0.0001% users scoutified
0.007% guides scoutified

I understand that the scout system is meant to be a privileged system but these numbers pretty accurately represents Greece's treasury. Either the system is dead or over-privileged. Imo a little tuning might be in order.

EDIT: I was thinking it'd be cool if there was a "Recently Scouted" section on the frontpage.
Spare a few Rep+ for the poor ( つ◕◡◕)つ

Check out my Brand guide linked in my signature
Also check out my Malzahar Guide,Consumed by the Void
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2015 7:50pm | Report
Yea, we all kinda know the scout system is broken/dead. It's been that way for a while.

There's a lot of things a lot of people dislike about the system and I don't even know what we're doing with it.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Ninja Trigger's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 19, 2015 8:12pm | Report
Laggermeister was probably the only scout MobaFire has ever had that would actually vote on every guide, and 98% of them were down votes. So he lost his scout privilege if I remember correctly.

but only 37 more Rep till I get promoted and I will most likely end up never voting as well :P
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2015 1:45am | Report
I was informed when I became an editor and a vet, but I missed the "you're a scout" thing, so I only realized much much later. I've wanted to +scout guides all around and make mobafire a happier place, but when I saw who was +scouted I realized I did not want to change those statistics in particular.

Also, I do believe the scout system is actually not particularly expressive and that having the new guides appear on the main page is far more important right now
Thank you Byron for 2014's loudest laugh up till today
koksei
<Member>
koksei's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2015 8:05am | Report
The Scoutsystem is flawless.. it is known.

~ Sig by Xiaowiriamu ~
Vengenator
<Fabulous>
Vengenator's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2015 9:25am | Report
FalseoGod wrote:
I was informed when I became an editor and a vet, but I missed the "you're a scout" thing, so I only realized much much later. I've wanted to +scout guides all around and make mobafire a happier place, but when I saw who was +scouted I realized I did not want to change those statistics in particular.

Also, I do believe the scout system is actually not particularly expressive and that having the new guides appear on the main page is far more important right now

I do agree that new guides should be on front page. Adds more variety rather than the same 5 guides for all of eternity.
Spare a few Rep+ for the poor ( つ◕◡◕)つ

Check out my Brand guide linked in my signature
Also check out my Malzahar Guide,Consumed by the Void
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2015 9:42am | Report
Let's not turn this into another "new guides must be on the front page" discussion please. There are enough threads about that already.

Having recently scouted guides on the front page like False wrote sounds like a nice idea to me.

Enabling scouts to vote for other members to become scouts (in their own forum) could maybe resolve the lack of scouts, but I'm not sure if there even are active scouts. And I'm very skeptical about the implied huge pool of actively guide-reading forum regulars thrilled to do some scouting.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2015 11:06am | Report
The problem is not the lack of scouts. It's the lack of motivation to scour for good guides when "hey, my friend with the name X just made a guide about Y. Imma upvote and maybe +scout. Oh, not gonna +scout in 2015 coz no one does that, but I would've otherwise"
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2015 11:49am | Report
No one has mentioned the core issue here: which is that the scout system does next to nothing for the guides who get the scout points, whether negative or positive. Negative scout points are just an excuse for scouts (who can actually see them) to complain and ask who did it, while positive scout points really have no effect since most of the guides with enough scout points to show that they are scouted are written by high elo authors anyways.

No one uses it because it's flawed and doesn't really do anything worth doing and it's been stated in the past that it's not very high on the "to fix" list because no one's actually using it, so nothing's likely to change.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 20, 2015 11:53am | Report
(although that's actually a falacy, we don't use it because it's broken so we'd probably use it if it wasn't. Basing the priority on how it is right now isn't realistic.

On a sidenote, I brought the "new guides front page plz" discussion because it's been an expressed desire quite a few times and still no answer from le biggies)

1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide