Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Two New Ranks, New Scout Points System, New...

Creator: Matt December 14, 2011 1:50am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2011 1:50am | Report
Well here it is guys, the big one. After weeks, even months of discussion, we've just rolled out a massive overhaul of the member rank and guide recommendation systems! This is a bit of a complicated one so prepare for a long post :)

New Ranks

There are two new ranks on MOBAFire:

Editor: Editors have access to all of the database editor tools that were previously only open to the Veterans. They also have access to a private forum where they can plan and discuss projects to update and maintain the database. Editors get a special yellow color to their name and an <Editor> title to go with it.

Scout: Scouts have the same access as Editors do. Additionally, Scouts have access to the new Scout Points system. This system replaces the previous Veteran Recommendations system. I will outline that below. Scouts also get a special orange color to their name and a <Scout> title to go with it.

Veterans, Moderators and Administrators are unchanged.

Scout Points

This is a replacement for the previous Veteran Recommendations system. Anyone with Scout or higher rank can now assign a Scout Point to any guide other than their own, one point per Scout per guide. Once a guide reaches a threshold number of Scout Points, it will become flagged as Featured, which will cause it to get displayed in a number of places giving it extra exposure, similar to Recommended Guides in the past.

We plan on having a lot more Scouts than we have had Veterans, which should help to review and promote a much wider range of guides. Additionally, since it will take several Scout Points before a guide is featured, there should be no more concerns about whether or not anyone is promoting their friends. A few people promoting their friends will not be enough, they will need other Scouts to agree with them and also give points. With the new promotion system, which I will outline below, there is also no issue with cliques or elitism, as anyone that puts in the time and effort can become a Scout.

We realize that this means people can become a Scout and review guides without necessarily also being "pros" at the game. We have always strived to be democratic on MOBAFire, this is a site "by the people, for the people" and this new Scout system is very much in that spirit. The community is promoting their Scouts through reputation, leading the most trusted and dedicated members of the community to be promoted, and those members will represent the rest of the community in handing out Scout Points.

Automatic Promotions

This new system relies heavily on Reputation Scores to track the most active and prolific contributors to the community. You cannot cheat the Reputation system and you cannot game it to rapidly climb in rank. Due to the heavy restrictions placed on +Rep, it takes time and dedication to climb in score.

We have decided to put this system to greater use. You can now be automatically promoted to Editor, then Scout, then even Veteran, once your Reputation Score reaches pre-determined thresholds. You do not have to wait for peer review or try to beg for a promotion, and you will not get stuck in limbo and never get promoted despite all your efforts. Just keep doing what you're doing and having a positive impact on the MOBAFire community, and you will get there!

Many of you have already passed these thresholds. You will automatically get promoted as soon as you get one more +Rep!

The Small Print

There are a few things we want everyone to be aware of.
  1. The thresholds for automatic promotion and for guides being featured are not set in stone. We will be tweaking and adjusting these over time based on user activity. They may go up and they may go down. You will not lose your rank if the threshold is increased above your current Reputation Score.
  2. Featured status is not permanent on your guide. Scouts may remove their points if they choose, which would cause your guide to lose its feature status if it drops below the threshold.
  3. We may add a decay system to remove Scout Points gradually over time to help give new guides a chance. This is still in discussion. There is no such system in place at this time.
  4. If anyone is found to be abusing their new ranks, we may take them away. We expect promoted users to lead by example. If you cannot or do not want to do this, you can always request to have your rank locked so you do not get auto-promoted.
  5. Overtly begging for +Rep, blackmailing for +Rep, buying +Rep, any such attempts at gaming the system will result in your Reputation being reset and your rank being locked. It may also get you permanently banned. It's gonna take a lot of work to cheat this system and I can undo all of your efforts in about 3 clicks so don't bother. Get your Reputation Points honestly and fairly the same way everyone does - by helping your fellow community members!

Closing Comments

As some of you may know, MOBAFire just had its 2nd birthday last week! It has been quite a journey getting to this point, MOBAFire has been reborn many times since its launch and it never ceases to amaze us how many people have wandered these "virtual halls". We would like to thank each and every one of you for being here with us and for making this such a great place! We will continue to grow and evolve MOBAFire with updates like this one as long as you guys continue to enjoy them. We're excited to see what 2012 brings so here's to much, much more to come!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!
-Matt and FlashJ
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2011 1:56am | Report
Matt wrote:

It's gonna take a lot of work to cheat this system and I can undo all of your efforts in about 3 clicks so don't bother

lol, that sounds so evil :P

Good job Matt :D

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2011 2:04am | Report
Congrats to all the members who got promoted! :D <3
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2011 2:07am | Report
*looks at warne's rep, then back at his*

.... I have a feeling I was blacklisted from this system. >:[

That or you took my suggestion and made a special MOBAtroll rank. If that's the case, then I 100% approve of this.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2011 2:08am | Report
No, you just need another +Rep :)

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2011 2:09am | Report
Wrong Toshabi! As my post explains, you will not get your promotions until someone +Reps you :) As soon as you get 1 more +Rep Toshabi, the system will kick in. We did it this way so that everyone would get to go through the whole process :) And so the system wouldn't get flooded instantly.

So it's gonna take a little time for everyone to get promoted :)
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2011 2:09am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:

No, you just need another +Rep :)

EDIT: Holy sh-, that happened fast. I didn't seeeeee because uh........ because ..... okay, I skimmed it.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2011 2:11am | Report
Haha, grats :)

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2011 2:14am | Report
I just hope this doesn't spawn the whole maplestory "B> REP @@@@ @@@@@ @@@@@" or "T>REP! YOU REP FIRST" deal. I know the rules are against it, but you'd be amazed what some of the common folk do.
MrCuddowls wrote:

Hahahaha telling me my items are bad HHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAhA
Listen buddy don't judge someone's items if your only level 13
This build is Platinum approved, Thats all you need to know

Blowfeld
<Editor>
Blowfeld's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2011 2:16am | Report
Congratulations to the promotions...

glad to see it kicked in for the right people :)
Fox Rage wrote:
Blowfeld. Best Party Wrecker Worldwide.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide