Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Guildwars 2 Beta

Creator: Darcurse February 23, 2012 9:23am
65 posts - page 2 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Xiron
<Editor>
Xiron's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 23, 2012 11:04am | Report
Searz wrote:

SINGED, WHERE!? OH GOD, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

Sorry, reflex.

I TAKE THIS AS AN OFFENSE!
LaronX
<Member>
LaronX's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 23, 2012 11:14am | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

...What? Those weren't addons at all, they were basically full games in their own right. You only needed to own one to access the game and the full PvP system. Except Eye of the North, that actually was an expansion. If you didn't like the other games, there was absolutely no need to buy them since they didn't change the level cap at all or generally introduce any must-have items.

In WoW you have to buy the game, pay a hefty subscription fee, and they still release expansion packs that cost almost as much as the full Guild Wars games.

What I like about Guild Wars is that they very clearly offered you a product for an up-front price with no ********, so you could choose what to buy and not have to feel guilty if you didn't play the game for a while.

/true

I played it for about a year and if you rly want you can play only the classic GW. Sure the stand-alone game give a bigger addtion and EotN makes everything even more epic but ther is no need to buy anything beside the game. You can get extra char slots of extra solts for you bank or some "skins" but nothing you must have to be good. You can agruee that the Bonus misson pack is a dlc but it is more for the guys that like to see a bit more background story the items you get are as good as any other you can get by farming. The main reasons Gw never became the big thing was that is had to many limits.
Thanks lgnition for the Sig.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 23, 2012 11:28am | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

...What? Those weren't addons at all, they were basically full games in their own right. You only needed to own one to access the game and the full PvP system. If you didn't like the other games, there was absolutely no need to buy them since they didn't change the level cap at all or generally introduce any must-have items. Except Eye of the North, that actually was an expansion, but it still didn't change the level cap or give you anything drastic.

In WoW you have to buy the game, pay a hefty subscription fee, and they still release expansion packs that cost almost as much as the full Guild Wars games.

What I like about Guild Wars is that they very clearly offered you a product for an up-front price with no ********, so you could choose what to buy and not have to feel guilty if you didn't play the game for a while.

True story, bro.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F Roberts
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 23, 2012 1:55pm | Report
Aaah, dont compare ANYTHING with WoW's costs...
Blizz inluded 3 pay systems in one game, they're just blood sucking ticks.

Regarding the "you dont need to buy any addon/another of the base games" thing:

Riiiight, ofc you dont NEED to buy them, BUT PvE without content updates is totally unthinkable and I remember that every pack had it's own new abilities coming along with it, right?

Like, you (base game) with your normals abilities face the enemy (add ons) who owns some shiny new skills.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 23, 2012 1:58pm | Report
All of the additional skills were pretty balanced with existing ones, if I recall. Interesting side fact: Morello, the lead balance guy for LoL, worked on the balance for Guild Wars too.

Again, the choice to buy the other games is entirely your own.

Quoted:

BUT PvE without content updates is totally unthinkable

Do you expect free content updates when you purchase any other genre of game? No.
Samoh
<Member>
Samoh's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 23, 2012 2:43pm | Report
Signed up yesterday, very excited.
Thanks to Koksei, The_Nameless_Bard,JhoiJhoi, LaCorpse, JEFFY40HANDS and myself for the signatures! I am also a certified gangster.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 23, 2012 3:44pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Do you expect free content updates when you purchase any other genre of game? No.

... that's why I'm saying, that you have to buy them, since THIS genre is all about content updates.

Ofc there are exceptions and nowadays everyone wants to lure customers/counters bootleggers with DLCs, but Shooter/Action/Adventure/Simulation etc. normally dont go hand in hand with the term "ongoing updates/patches".

Regarding PvE, mmorpgs with subsciption fees are comparable to every other game with ongoing sequels.
Instead of paying/getting one big chunk at a time, you pay/get them little by little.
Thats why imo GW is nearly the same as WoW (concerning the type of fee), the moment you stop paying further charges you'll only have played a part of the game.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 23, 2012 3:46pm | Report
Darcurse wrote:

... that's why I'm saying, that you have to buy them, since THIS genre is all about content updates.

This genre is also all about monthly fees in order to support those content updates (ostensibly anyway). I really don't see how in any possible way you feel like you have to buy them when you don't want to. If ya do you clearly are just addicted to buying ****. It's like saying you have to buy all pieces of DLC released for every game. And trust me the GW campaigns are a lot more extensive than DLC/expansions.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 23, 2012 4:09pm | Report
Uh dude... one numbskull to get through...

The moment you dont want to buy them is the moment you dont want to play anymore.

It's not like ppl have to be addicted to buy them, it's the producers want them to be.
The game is made so that you want/have to buy them, if you want to keep playing for real.
(I mean they have to, otherwise how the heck are they going to keep it running...)

Just taking GW for example...:
The average gamer will have completely or mostly beaten the main PvE content the moment a new add-on airs.
What will you do? Repeat anything again? Start playing PvP even if you dont want to?
Not really, and while we're at it most of the community will only dwell on the new content anyway.
It's not like any co-op story game, that is done after one playtrhough, it's a genre that operates by keeping the players running.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 23, 2012 4:12pm | Report
Look, it's simple. If you want to buy something, buy it. If you don't want to buy something, don't buy it.

Like I don't really understand what the hell your argument is.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide