Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Has Windows hit it's peak?

Creator: Searz March 4, 2012 2:47pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2012 1:45pm | Report
@zoki
it's not about ****ting on other people's "opinions with no ground to why they are bad", it's about whether explaining why the opinions are bad worth is the effort or not.
Honestly, look at what you've said. Do you really think that google doesn't know what people use their computer for? Are you stupid enough to think that? Google knows VERY WELL what computers are for and will definitely not constrain a laptop's usefulness to that of a smart phone. You can do a ton of things in a browser even if you are not connected to the internet, and Chromium OS is much more than a simple browser. Just because the interface is different it does not mean it's worse.

@Searz
The w7 x86 uses 620 mb on my laptop.
Also, today when I was working I realised I actually use aero peek waaaaay more than I thought I did. It may not sound useful to be able to see a window without changing to it, but it's awesome to do things like checking who's online on msn, ts3 or steam as well as reading pdf or other documents. I wish I had such a feature on my browser.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2012 1:50pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

@zoki
it's not about ****ting on other people's "opinions with no ground to why they are bad", it's about whether explaining why the opinions are bad worth is the effort or not.
Honestly, look at what you've said. Do you really think that google doesn't know what people use their computer for? Are you stupid enough to think that? Google knows VERY WELL what computers are for and will definitely not constrain a laptop's usefulness to that of a smart phone. You can do a ton of things in a browser even if you are not connected to the internet, and Chromium OS is much more than a simple browser. Just because the interface is different it does not mean it's worse.

Thank you, o voice of reason :)

Quoted:
@Searz
The w7 x86 uses 620 mb on my laptop.
Also, today when I was working I realised I actually use aero peek waaaaay more than I thought I did. It may not sound useful to be able to see a window without changing to it, but it's awesome to do things like checking who's online on msn, ts3 or steam as well as reading pdf or other documents. I wish I had such a feature on my browser.

Oooooh, that Aero. I thought you were talking about the see-through effect on all the windows XD
A feature similar to Aero Peek is common in Linux distros, and/or addable.
It's a good feature.
A good thing about Linux is that you can customize pretty much ANYTHING. Total personalization :)
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2012 6:41pm | Report
Searz wrote:

A good thing about Linux is that you can customize pretty much ANYTHING. Total personalization :)

Dat open source

Zoki
<Member>
Zoki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2012 10:53pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

@zoki

That's not even the point. Its all about Searz's approach to the subject. He doesn't even give opinion, he just states facts like he knows everything and everything is how he says it. Sure, I have no problem if he thinks Microsoft is ****, but stating that Microsoft is **** as a fact, that's just pure stupidity.

A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
Sigs made by: LaCorpse, jhoijhoi, Katoki, JEFFY40HANDS, The_Nameless_Bard and Sk1llbug
-||- Check out my Master Yi guide -||-
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 6, 2012 10:55pm | Report
but microsoft is ****.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2012 12:35am | Report
It seems you're not used to intelligent conversation.

I present facts that explain my opinions.

I.E: I think microsoft is **** BECAUSE their OS is slow, big, demanding, expensive and has security problems.

Expensive is a matter of opinion, but the rest are facts. I wouldn't call it expensive if it didn't have those problems. Software without problems is worth more than software with problems.
"Gold can't buy you rape." - Mr Sark
Zoki
<Member>
Zoki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2012 12:45am | Report
No, you state facts that you wish were true so your opinion would hold any meaning.

Sure it can be slow, if you can't optimize it. You pulled 60s boot time out of nowhere which isn't even true, as you saw when comments about boot time started. I can make any OS slow as hell if I treat it like ****, does that mean that every OS is slow as a fact? Few GB is big these days? Rammus Ok.

But whatever, you're always right and probably most intelligent person on this forum. I'm just gonna be the smarter guy and stop this pointless debate.

A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
Sigs made by: LaCorpse, jhoijhoi, Katoki, JEFFY40HANDS, The_Nameless_Bard and Sk1llbug
-||- Check out my Master Yi guide -||-
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2012 1:36pm | Report
Windows is slower than it's competition. FACT.
Windows needs optimization or it gets slower. FACT. (Mac and Linux both have ways of preventing this)
Windows needs a security program or it might get infected by malware/viruses while competing software doesn't. FACT.
Windows takes up more space than it's competition. FACT.

Please prove me wrong on any of these. I don't think you can, but do try :)

Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2012 2:30pm | Report
@Searz
There are several virus for linux and mac as well. Although those OS are much more secure and the bugs usually get patched, they're still not perfect. Right now I don't think there are any viruses/worms for the current version of ubunto, but there have been several in the past and there will likely be more in the future.
I myself have never gotten a virus on windows, I haven't used anti-virus for years and whenever I get a trial version of kaspersky just to check my disk is completely clean. I've never got hacked in my life or got any password stolen either. Viruses and Trojans only affect dumb people, no matter the OS you use.

The other statements may be true, but it's pretty much meaningless.
If I go buy a new disk I can get an extra TB for like 20€, why would I even care if my OS takes up 20GB or 1MB? 20GB costs me like 0,4€, that's less than a chocolate.

Also, the only time I noticed w7 is slower than linux is when I'm compiling something, and for that I can just connect to a linux server and have it compile the code for me. During any other task I never notice any difference whatsoever. Maybe you have, but I honestly haven't.

Defragment isn't an issue on windows either. All you have to do is once a month you leave the PC running defraggler when you're having dinner and unless you've been moving around gigantic files you won't go past 5%.

The reasons you gave for linux being better than windows are just minor annoyances at most. The differences in which linux falls behind, however, are gigantic. Just the lack of software and the lack of hardware/driver support is enough to even make me pick vista over ubunto. I'd rather have a ****py OS than a useless one.

@Zoki
Yet you're the one saying chromium OS is **** and limits your computer to the level of a phone. There's no greater stupidity than not being able to discern genius from stupid. Google knows what they're doing, they're not going to waste time on making android installable on computers just for the sake of it. Even if you've never seen or tried chromium OS you should at least have enough common sense to figure that out.

If you think someone is wrong about something then prove him wrong with arguments and facts to back them up, don't change the subject to something you simply don't know anything about.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2012 2:56pm | Report
@Wall-Z
Take a look at how Canoas discusses. That's how you discuss properly.

Canoas wrote:

There are several virus for linux and mac as well. Although those OS are much more secure and the bugs usually get patched, they're still not perfect. Right now I don't think there are any viruses/worms for the current version of ubunto, but there have been several in the past and there will likely be more in the future.

In Mac/Linux I don't see a reason to use any extra software for security, while I do in Windows.
Even smart and technical users can get viruses, I've gotten one, for example.
One in my entire life, but it was still worth having my anti-virus for that.

Quoted:
The other statements may be true, but it's pretty much meaningless.
If I go buy a new disk I can get an extra TB for like 20€, why would I even care if my OS takes up 20GB or 1MB? 20GB costs me like 0,4€, that's less than a chocolate.

Actually, HDDs are expensive as **** right now. Because of the flooding. I think 1TB is at 200€ right now.

Quoted:
Also, the only time I noticed w7 is slower than linux is when I'm compiling something, and for that I can just connect to a linux server and have it compile the code for me. During any other task I never notice any difference whatsoever. Maybe you have, but I honestly haven't.

The time it takes for the OS to do stuff is overall longer in W7. No big difference other than PC startup, but still noticeable sometimes.

Quoted:
Defragment isn't an issue on windows either. All you have to do is once a month you leave the PC running defraggler when you're having dinner and unless you've been moving around gigantic files you won't go past 5%.

True, but normal users don't know anything about defragmentation. The fact that things can fragment in the first place is bad design.

Quoted:
The reasons you gave for linux being better than windows are just minor annoyances at most. The differences in which linux falls behind, however, are gigantic. Just the lack of software and the lack of hardware/driver support is enough to even make me pick vista over ubunto. I'd rather have a ****py OS than a useless one.

You've got a few good points, but the polished Linux distros (like Ubuntu) generally don't have problems with lack of software and drivers.
Lack of software in gaming is different though. Windows obviously dwarfs Linux there.
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide