Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Has Windows hit it's peak?

Creator: Searz March 4, 2012 2:47pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Scrax
<Retired Moderator>
Scrax's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2012 5:14am | Report
My computer (after BIOS boots) gets going in around 15-20 seconds.

I have Intel® Core i7-960 Processor and Intel® SSD 510 Series 120GB 2,5" with 450MB/210MB/s read/write. It's not the fastest but it runs like a charm.

100Gb used on the SSD.
Zoki
<Member>
Zoki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2012 5:28am | Report
Searz wrote:

I hate bad software. 90% of microsoft products is bad software. Fact: most windows software is slow and has a ton of bloatware while still missing some features other software has.

Windows XP is a good piece of software, but it's among the only good things to come out of microsoft.

Just btw; did you know that OpenGL "revolutionized" gaming years before DirectX11, sporting the exact same features? Most of Windows' good ideas are in fact stolen from other software and the sad thing is; they aren't even improving on the concept.

As for Chromebook: you do realize that we gamers are a minority and that the majority of people just want the ability to surf the web easily, quickly and hastlefree, right?

Well sadly for you, this "****" software still has biggest support, whether it comes to games, programs, computers, accessories,...I never said all Microsoft software is good, I just enjoy Windows 7 more than any other OS and so does many others.

So yeah, back to Chromebook. Does only hard gamers play games? No. My sister is 20 years old, has job, goes out a lot and rarely spends any time on computer. Still, she plays games from time for time, which she wouldn't be able to do on Chromebook. What is so special about Chromebook? If you have normal laptop, you don't have connection, no problem. Watch movie, play games,...Chromebook with no connection, is a normal box of plastic. All your data on their servers and there has to be maintenance or server upgrade. No problem, laptop useless for half a day.

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.
Sigs made by: LaCorpse, jhoijhoi, Katoki, JEFFY40HANDS, The_Nameless_Bard and Sk1llbug
-||- Check out my Master Yi guide -||-
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2012 5:31am | Report
Searz wrote:

Dood, u lie.
You gotta have a real monster computer with an SSD in that case, cuz I've seen newly installed W7 systems with i7 processors boot in ~60sec.

Or some cleaned out version of W7. (*cough*Win XP Black Edition*cough*)

I have no clue of how you can do that. I dislike pretty much all changes. There's some functionality in the "pinning" of programs to the taskbar, but that's a feature I personally don't like. Otherwise it's all bad.
I'm using a custom theme, but my XP definitely looks better than the standard W7.

My computer can only run BF3 on medium and I don't have an SSD. I have no idea how it could take 60 seconds on such a good computer, even my 4 year old laptop booted vista faster. I used my phone's stopwatch to count the time so it's right. It also took 15 seconds till it got to the windows loading screen but that's because my computer is pretty ****ed up by now.. It gets stuck in a black screen for 5 seconds and I have no idea why.
Either way, as soon as I finsih writing this post I'll count on my laptop as well to see how long it takes, but it probably takes even less.

I use an original copy of windows 7 x64 my university provides (the Microsoft building is right next to us = P ) with a custom theme as well. I love the taskbar program pinning feature btw, it's really useful. There's also a feature that allows you to "dock" a window to the sides of the screen making it occupy only the left/right half, which I also use extensively specially while working. Aero Peak is also extremely useful. Those are the only 3 features I remember XP doesn't have and I use every day. I'd gladly have a 5 second longer boot just to keep these features.

EDIT: On my laptop it took exactly 40 seconds from the moment I clicked the power button to the moment I clicked on my firefox Icon. It took about 8 seconds till windows started loading, 12 more seconds until I was able to input my password and then it got stuck 10 seconds on the login screen (after typing my password and pressing enter) and in the last 10 seconds it logged in. In my desktop it never got stuck in the login screen so there's probably something wrong with my laptop as well.
My laptop is a 4 year old toshiba satellite A300 - 1Id. It was pretty average back then and it can't even compete with the cheapest laptop you'll find in a store.
Your friends with i7s must have ****ed up their computer big time stily if my laptop can boot waaaaaay faster then their desktop.
Btw, my laptop boots windows a little faster than my desktop because my desktop's HDD is older than my laptop's.. it's about 5 years old now. I guess I should change it since it shouldn't live much longer. Oh, and my desktop has x64 installed while my laptop has x32.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2012 5:52am | Report
@Scrax
:o impressive.
I guess there's a huge difference between SSD and HDD then. But still, I boot almost as fast with hardware worth about 1/30 of what yours is :P
"Gold can't buy you rape." - Mr Sark
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2012 6:24am | Report
But my laptop boots almost as fast as your computer and it's surely worth even less.
koksei
<Member>
koksei's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2012 6:29am | Report
SSD's are just way too stronk lol

~ Sig by Xiaowiriamu ~
Scrax
<Retired Moderator>
Scrax's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2012 7:22am | Report
Searz wrote:

@Scrax
:o impressive.
I guess there's a huge difference between SSD and HDD then. But still, I boot almost as fast with hardware worth about 1/30 of what yours is :P

Luckily how fast a computer starts doesn't define it's usefulness :)
Yukimaru
<Member>
Yukimaru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2012 7:34am | Report
Searz wrote:

Haha, you joker, you <3

Mac and Linux both use the graphical API OpenGL. Most games on Mac should be pretty easy to port to Linux because of that.
OpenGL is about as good if not better than DirectX, but most games are sadly not developed for OpenGL.
WINE "emulates" Windows and DirectX. That's why it works badly.

Linux is a better platform for programs than Windows is and I hope more people will realize that and develop games and stuff for it. That's really the only thing holding it back.

No, what Windows has over Linux is the user-friendly design, mac has a user-friendly design too and its similiar to Linux.
Thats why i said Linux < Windows < Mac, and yes im a Linux Hater, but Linux got got it Chance from me, when my PC was broken i tried to install Linux on my Playstation 3, and it worked, til it disliked my G15 Keyboard.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2012 9:34am | Report
Yukimaru wrote:

No, what Windows has over Linux is the user-friendly design, mac has a user-friendly design too and its similiar to Linux.
Thats why i said Linux < Windows < Mac, and yes im a Linux Hater, but Linux got got it Chance from me, when my PC was broken i tried to install Linux on my Playstation 3, and it worked, til it disliked my G15 Keyboard.

L0l, you're calling windows more user friendly.
Windows doesn't have **** in comparison to a good edition of Linux. Try Ubuntu. I personally dislike the new Ubuntu look (it's very similar to how mac looks), but it's VERY noob-friendly.

People like Windows because they're used to it. People don't like change until they realize that it's for the better.

You tried that a few years ago, right? Driver support has become much better now. You still can't run many games in Linux, but you can always run Windows as a program inside Linux.
"Blizzard spoke thus; Thou shalt not BM. And the players replied Nay, I shall Play my hand with Lethal already on the board. And so Blizzard sent unto them this Brawl of Yogg, As a lesson for their sins of Pride and Greed, for he is the Prophet of Madness and RNG. On that day, the tavern descended into an era of chaos and darkness, until the weekend passed and everyone forgot all about it. Amen. Book of SMOrc, Verse 20, Chapter 4." - Feam T
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 5, 2012 9:49am | Report
Zoki wrote:

So yeah, back to Chromebook. Does only hard gamers play games? No. My sister is 20 years old, has job, goes out a lot and rarely spends any time on computer. Still, she plays games from time for time, which she wouldn't be able to do on Chromebook. What is so special about Chromebook? If you have normal laptop, you don't have connection, no problem. Watch movie, play games,...Chromebook with no connection, is a normal box of plastic. All your data on their servers and there has to be maintenance or server upgrade. No problem, laptop useless for half a day.

Haha, you don't quite see how much you can do in a browser, do you?
There's support for a ton of games directly from the "App store". There's also great games like Bastion (which many MOBAFire ppl dubbed best game of 2011).
You will be able to store your data locally too, so you'll still be able to run any program you have on it, without a connection.
Don't talk ********, dude.

Quoted:
Well sadly for you, this "****" software still has biggest support, whether it comes to games, programs, computers, accessories,...I never said all Microsoft software is good, I just enjoy Windows 7 more than any other OS and so does many others.

Most Microsoft software is bad. The software developed for Windows on the other hand is often great.
I know I'll miss a few applications(but mostly games) when I migrate to Linux, which is why I'll still run Windows as a program in Linux for when I want to access them.
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide