Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

I'm curious

Creator: Devampi August 2, 2015 12:01pm
27 posts - page 1 of 3
1 2 3
Which MOBA will have the biggest community after several years.
Devampi
<Member>
Devampi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2015 12:01pm | Report
Hello for people who don't know me. I'm Devampi from Smitefire and also show a bit of activity on dotafire I do play all of the 3 games. Now that the small introduction is out of the way let's get to the point of this thread. I'm very curious what the people of moba- dota and smitefire think which of these 3 games in which other will have the biggest amount of unique players over several years. And know why you guys think that this would be the order of biggest amount of players

I hope many of you understand that I don't want people getting in the famous Dota vs LoL war.

Also here is my own opinion on my questions:
I'm going with 1.smite 2.LoL 3. Dota 2

why well because imo smite has the biggest potential on growing a big community with their xbone support (and it will maybe even grow to the ps). this is the reason I think smite can overgrow LoL.

well LoL is second because it's more known And it's IMO easier to learn then Dota. but this was a hard choice because I don't know what the effect of the new Dota 2 engine will have on the growth of Dota 2

why Dota so low well as stated by LoL it's harder to learn for most people (steeper learning curve). still as said there the dota reborn. and with those custom game modes it's not clear how hard it will grow.

So yeah that's my take on my question so how do you guys think over this question. I will probably post some sort of end result after several time (a week maybe 10 days idk yet)

note I'm posting this on all 3 forums so people who thought the introduction is weird here is why
Just some random guy from smitefire that visits sometimes.
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2015 12:50pm | Report
lol, regarding the LoL vs DOTA 2 war, it's not much of a war really, they're two different games: LoL is more casual and focuses on duels for more casual players, while DOTA 2 focuses (from the videos I've seen) on farm (just to give an example) for more tryhard people (I have never played DOTA, so feel free to "enlighten" me if I got something wrong).

Also, I have to agree with you, Smite being a very recent game, it has loads of potential to grow and become a great game, although I don't particularly like it, yet.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2015 1:03pm | Report
where is my bae subzero when you need him
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2015 1:11pm | Report
I am guessing LoL will stay #1. The amount of audience league has atm is too big to get beaten at this moment and if you would compare this to World of Warcraft, it would probably stay this way for a long time.

DOTA2 is a game for more hardcore people which is a considerable smaller audience and Smite is third person, which attracts a whole audience of its own while not being too complicated as well. Which makes me say Smites audience will grow more than DOTA2.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Hogopogo

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2015 5:10pm | Report
Janitsu wrote:
where is my bae subzero when you need him

Probably banned...
Imma 'bout to end this man's whole career
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
Devampi
<Member>
Devampi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2015 11:00pm | Report
Janitsu probably over in Smitefire (as I have putted this in 3 fires)

I'm going to state though that I'm overrating the console support (and forgetting LoL almost has 70 mil unique players a month) XD.

EDIT: also yes Re4XN farm can make or break your game as carry (because higher cost items less G/s) and yes both 3 pretty different games (smite en LoL less but still the way played makes them different)
Just some random guy from smitefire that visits sometimes.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 1:13am | Report
Unless either game company makes a very big ****up (tbh Riot is doing a good job at ****ing up their playerbase recently) I'm not expecting anything to change, and the status-quo to remain.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 3, 2015 2:07am | Report
Yea, I kinda think Riot is gonna have to change something soon or potentially start to have a problem.

I don't have a whole lot of opinion about Dota 2.

As for Smite and the other copies of Dota and LoL, I honestly feel like the MOBA genre as a whole is likely to just lose its luster after a while. They're really popular RIGHT NOW, but I really doubt that's gonna last forever. Like all fads (because this whole "let's make a billion different MOBAs and jump on the bandwagon" thing is one, let's be real here), it will likely eventually fade back into some level of obscurity, because very few MOBAs are actually geared toward less mechanically inclined players or, simply, less competition-driven players (those aren't necessarily mutually inclusive), as is to be expected, which makes them less attractive overall to many people.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 4, 2015 2:49pm | Report
DoTA 2 is way better than LoL, but LoL is way easier than DoTA.

Naturally, LoL is always going to be ahead of LoL because of this. The learning cliff in DoTA 2 often times turns people away.
jhoijhoi wrote:

Also, I think the levels of immorality in this thread are astounding. You'd really throw a child off a boat for your own luggage? Wow.

BigBoxGamer
<Member>
BigBoxGamer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2015 12:23pm | Report
From what I've seen from DotA player arguments, as soon as you learn to chase like a boss. You got it made in DotA 2, that and I would say DotA is actually the easiest one to play because it's all chasing. Also, not to mention the fact that a top DotA team said they were gonna go be the absolute best in HotS, which is suppose to be easier than easy. And, that team ended up placing 36th on the pro leader boards as where the teams filling up with League of Legends players fill the top 10.
Short Term Goals: Silver/Gold/Platinum || Long Term Goals: Diamond/Master/Challenger
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide