Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Photoshop improvement?

Creator: Kirluu May 23, 2011 10:19am
18 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 23, 2011 10:19am | Report
Hey guys. So recently, I started using Photoshop, followed some tutorials, and have created around and about a nice 10 different projects through tutorials, but then I thought: Hey, I know the basics; why not try and make something? :O

So from this:
http://oi53.tinypic.com/b6vfkg.jpg
I made him this:
http://oi53.tinypic.com/2nks4tc.jpg

Now, personally I am quite satisfied, but what do you guys think of the editions(so to speak) that I have made? Btw, to give credits, the pic is from Sniper Ghost Warrior, and the font is called Blade II from dafont.com.

What I'd really like to know is if there's anything that could actually make this pic look even more awesome? D: Really want to make something that makes people go: O_O
Or something of the sort... (o_O, O_o, O.o, o.O)

So yeah, any critisism, is well taken, although I do appretiate the constructive kind ^^

Kirluu~
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
Wnuk
<Member>
Wnuk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 23, 2011 11:20am | Report
I would have gone a bit lighter on the blur, and if you use blur on the whole picture. make sure to blur the text at least a bit, or it sticks out to much. But very nicely done using the same glow effect color on the text as the blur in the image.
Credits to Scrax for the awesome sig!
ChozenChamp
<Member>
ChozenChamp's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 23, 2011 11:43am | Report
Wow man that looks awesome!!
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 23, 2011 4:08pm | Report
Pretty good, they seem like kind of basic effects but practice makes perfect

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 23, 2011 4:47pm | Report
Looks good. If you haven't already, post in the signature forums. :)
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Xiaowiriamu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 23, 2011 5:42pm | Report
I can come up with alot of criticisms and judgements but i'll probably look bad in the spotlight. (even if you insisted)

It's nice to see you improving and testing your skills, keep going! :)
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 23, 2011 6:21pm | Report
I don't like it very much.. You just used the clouds on screen mode, blurred the image and added some text with an outer glow.
It might just be me, but I don't like signs/banners that just mess around with the effects. I prefer clean images where people add something of their own to make it unique. Be it simple brushes on the background or glows on the render to vectors and other other effects.
This is only my opinion and what I like/dislike, so don't take it personal.

My advice id to get brushes and fonts and playing with the modes and styles on each layer (you seem to be doing the last part). Tutorials may be nice, but for a beginner you won't learn as much or extract useful info. Just take it easy and go one step at the time, while trying to make a good image with what you know. Then you move on to tutorials and learn more advanced tricks, one at a time so you can absorb the information and be able to use it correctly.
You need a good base for everything you do, if you don't have it then no matter how advanced your techniques are you'll never be able to do it well.

@Xiao
You shouldn't be afraid to criticize, it'll only hurt him. It's best to show some tough love and help him improve than to just say it's ok and move on = /
You're without a doubt the best one at photoshop here on moba, you should be more critical and help us all get better!
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Xiaowiriamu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 23, 2011 6:37pm | Report
@Canoas to be honest i just was lazy :D and i've criticized before just, meh^_^ and thanks v much for the warm comments :3

Basically +1 to what Canoas has said. You want to experiment and test and also start downloading brushes and fonts, also test C4D's, fractals etc. Sources: Brusheezy.com.

Also note you've got no focal point. The text seems to drag the most attention as you've overly done the blur, which i think in contrast to Canoas you've Blurred and set layer to Lighten. Which in turn is good but you want to render out the image using Lasso and delete that within your lightened layer so it doesn't destroy the focal point.

Furthermore text is considered the hardest form, so it takes a lot of practise however i'll straight away tell you that you'll want to deter from using too much outer glow and also make sure the text is nicely infixiated within your image.

Tutorials are great to learn from, but it's also great to gather PSD's from various sources and also like expressed just experiment and have a good time with it.

Like Canoas has also illustrated it's great to see that you're using various styles and layer properties and it does show you're kind of experimenting with that.
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 3:40am | Report
I guess I'm not really sure about what I can do better. I have used everything I know so far in that picture - I have only had PS for a week, but yeah :3
I like the huge effect that come from messing with the color-mixes, the contrast and brightness, but that's really the only things I've learned about so far. o_o And ofc. the clouds.
Everything I've learned so far has been from tutorials.

I can understand the part about blurring the text a little, so it doesn't stand out that much. That should also help on the edges of the text, which are rather sharp(?), aka there's just the text, and boom it's the background. What I mean is, that you can see the actual pixel edge, which I believe is bad, no? o_i

But yeah, thanks for the critisism, however what else can I do? I mean.. I couldn't find anything to make it look better from what I know at least. D:

EDIT: About all the downloading brushes etc, I have a few from tutorials, and one homemade one, but seriously though, where should I use brushes in this picture? I mean. It isn't exactly a picture of the universe or anything sci-fi like that x_z So yeah. You say I should download brushes. I know how to. I know how to change the space between them and all those extra effects you can give them, so what else is there to learn? And more importantly where should a brush have been used in this pic?
In fact I used the soft brush with a white color to add the sharp light where the light is actually coming from as well as on his head, and on the sniper's weapon. o_O
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 4:34am | Report
When I get home I'll make a sig out of this, Xiao should too, maybe we can show you what we mean :)
Bloofyre wrote:
May a squadron of beautiful vaginas find their way to your crotch by day's end.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide