Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Photoshop improvement?

Creator: Kirluu May 23, 2011 10:19am
18 posts - page 2 of 2
1 2
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Xiaowiriamu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 6:50am | Report
Check my resource thread for ideas on brushes etc.

Also had a quick go (5mins~)

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8058/testtry.png
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 7:20am | Report
The colors were so harsh! Kinda hurt to look at it for too long.

Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 7:30am | Report
Well, the only thing that really matters is if you like what you made.
I particularly do not like when the main character, the sniper in this case, is blurred like the rest. You don't seem to be paying attention to him, but to the whole image. Just focus on the sniper first, make him stand out.

Also, did you use outer glow on the text or did the glow by hand? If you did by hand I suggest you go to layer -> layer style -> outer glow and then play with it a bit. Check all the other layer styles too, some of them are pretty cool and useful.

Regarding brushes, just take a look at Xiao's example.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 2:30pm | Report
While Xio's edit looks a tad more appealing to my tastes, I can clearly see the edges of brushes/colour overlays used. If you look along the man's forearm, and in the top left hand corner you'll see basically lines where different effects have been used and not used/overlapped to form visible differences.

Understandably Xio only worked for 5 minutes on it, but it wouldn't have been hard to go over those lines and blur it to create a smooth composition.

With regards to the original poster, I liked how the sniper seemed to come right out of the page due to your glow effects/lightening, but the rest is a tad randomised, as someone said before me. The letters seemed super-imposed and don't blend in with the image. There's no central place to look at in the image, only the name. The sniper himself isn't given any importance as he's as blurred as the background.

This is what the above users meant by downloading brushes and playing a bit more with layering (this isn't my work, I've kept the original watermark + (c) so you guys can look her up if you like, all I've done is edited in the stock she used to make the overall screen shot smaller):

Emerald-Depths has been manipulating images for a long time though. Also, this isn't her best work, but I have to go to school soon, so I didn't have time to search for my favourite from her.

Hope this helps :3
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Xiaowiriamu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 3:33pm | Report
Yeah as expressed I rushed it, the general inspiration is there, I guess i could reupload as it only takes 1 second to smooth that out but im lazy :D

Also nice inspirational work from Emerald-Depths, very simple indeed. Which brings me onto something i've not really constructively said but inspiration is a very important aspect as you can build a picture of how they did it, for instance in the above stock shes basically added brushes from a space brush, star brush or planet brush, blended it together etc. (might have made the planets herself, not that difficult tbh just layer properties). Applied a few c4ds or other various light sources from brushes perhaps, made a myst effect over the original stock most likely using a soft brush at "Color" in the layer style. and then finaly reflected image in the water (flipped then applied filters).

So yeah keep looking at various artists and photo manipulations you sort of build an image yourself and also helps in making your own pieces. Also emphasizes that brushes are a key aspect as well.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 24, 2011 5:31pm | Report
Yea, nice examples guys :3

I don't feel like making one, I think what has been given is sufficient, and I don't really have the time right now, and I don't rly feel like spending the little time I have to make a thing that no1 will even use :3

but yea awesome job guys, and @Kirluu, practice makes perfect :)

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2011 1:27am | Report
Thanks for all the attention to this thread guys :)

I like those effects that you made in the image, Xiao, however, I have no clue how to do the stuff you just did there? :3

And @the outer glow question: I did apply it through the Layer Style thingy. However I think that it became like that because I placed the clouds with overlay above it by mistake. Well, I dunno. I guess when I made it, I just accepted that it became like that.

Also, you guys speak of how I had blurred the sniper, so he doesn't stand out in the image, or something, however I wanted to do that to see if I could create a more realistic look, since the original pic is from a game. I didn't know other ways than adding a gaussian blur(I believe that's what I used).

Since I'm at school atm. so I can't work on it here, but yeah. If I was do redo the entire thing, what should I do with it, to create somewhat the effect that Xiao created in those 5 minutes? ;o
I want to improve, and IMO I improve the most from getting right out there, using the techniques/filters/whatever to make it actually look GOOD, instead of DECENT :3

As I'm still a noob, I was certain that what I had made wasn't perfect, but I just don't know how to make it better than that, as I used all I have learned so far in that pic :s
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
Atarios
<Member>
Atarios's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 25, 2011 1:28am | Report
Awesome.

Wish i can do stuff like that.
Thanks Jhoi,Xenasis,JEFFY40HANDS for the Sigs ! :D
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide