Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

@Searz and any other computer buffs: HELP ME BUILD

Creator: wRAthoFVuLK May 16, 2012 6:04pm
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2012 2:27pm | Report
Right...
But the only thing you look at is power. You don't look at price.. (you're also looking a the wrong card, ya idiot :P)

The GTX570 is ~2% faster, but costs ~4% more. Yes, that's hardly any difference, BUT you can get a HD6950 for 200$. The GTX is ~13% faster than the HD6950, but costs 50% more. I dunno about you, but I think that's a teeny, tiny bit more cost-effective.
Also remember that you can quite easily turn a HD6950 into a HD 6970, gaining ~12% performance for free.
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
Jpikachu1999
<Member>
Jpikachu1999's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2012 3:57pm | Report
That's a lot of numbers and random letters. Good luck on your computer stuff Wrath!

If I helped you, click that +rep!
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2012 4:03pm | Report

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2012 11:54pm | Report
Daum, nice find in monitors!

Better, but not quite good yet. That's a good GPU, but the cooler on that card is a ****ty reference cooler. You should get something along the lines of
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423
I know it's not in stock, but you really want to stay away from reference coolers. So either wait or choose another card.
"Well, basically you should treat me like a prostitute." - TotalBiscuit
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2012 12:42pm | Report
what's the diff?

also, I think I want a diff card...for one the one I picked isn't even in stock and for two it's a bit too steep for my pocket.

Is there something that runs around the same quality but cheaper? Possibly able to overclock it (also never odne this before: do you just run msi afterburner?)

Also, how exactly do grounding antistatic wrist straps work? Do you just plug the end into the case? Since I was reading somewhere that you place it into an AC adapter and I'm like whaaaaa

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2012 2:26pm | Report

also, I think I want a diff card...for one the one I picked isn't even in stock and for two it's a bit too steep for my pocket.

Is there something that runs around the same quality but cheaper? Possibly able to overclock it (also never odne this before: do you just run msi afterburner?)

Also, how exactly do grounding antistatic wrist straps work? Do you just plug the end into the case? Since I was reading somewhere that you place it into an AC adapter and I'm like whaaaaa

Lol, I've already mentioned the perfect card for ya in that case :P

The HD6950. Costs 200$ and can be bios-flashed into a 6970 which has 2% worse performance than GTX570.

You don't need an anti-static wristband. Just make sure that some part of your body always touches the computer case and you'll be fine.
"Well, basically you should treat me like a prostitute." - TotalBiscuit
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2012 2:36pm | Report
And how exactly do you overclock? Is that the same thing as bios-flash?

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2012 3:36pm | Report
Overclocking is extremely easy, but rarely profitable unless you have a good cooler on your card.
Overclocking can be done in ATI's Catalyst Control Center and Nvidia's "control panel"(or whatever it's called).

MSI afterburner is used for raising voltage. Raising voltage can increase your overclocking capabilities, but it can also fry your card. Don't do it unless you read up on it.

BIOS-flashing pretty much changes the bootup settings for the card. It tells the card what resources it has and how to use them. Since the 6950 has the same GPU as 6970 you can "tell" it to act like a 6970 instead.
Flashing your GPU BIOS can brick your card (make it useless) if you do it wrong, but flashing is almost fool-proof nowadays. There's a windows program that does it for you(I did it back in the days when you had to it the hard way). There's even a dual BIOS on most 6950s (I think all, but I'm not sure) that allows you to switch to the other BIOS if you somehow manage to screw it up.

Here's an article with more details on changing 6950 to 6970:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

Overall it's a safe procedure as long as you follow instructions.
"You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated." - Mike Rogers, U.S. Representative for Michigan's 8th congressional district, 2013
I.e: Mike Rogers doesn't think it's rape unless the victim knows (s)he has been raped. Sounds legit.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2012 4:11pm | Report
wait: what are reference coolers?

also for the anti static stuff, do you need the pcu plugged in for it to work (for grounding)?

and I'm thinking about getting the GTX 560 TI 448 cuda cores, and a place near me it's selling for like $240.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130758

is that a good cooler?

EDIT:

Actually, that would be the card I would get from Newegg;

I can get this one

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0381283

for a bit cheaper after rebates from a store.

Are they identical (coolers and all)? If not, which is better?

EDIT EDIT:

nvm the diff is da clocks. It's worth it to spend a bit more to get the better clocks right?

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2012 1:26am | Report

wait: what are reference coolers?

also for the anti static stuff, do you need the pcu plugged in for it to work (for grounding)?

Reference coolers are the standard coolers that Nvidia/AMD use for their cards when testing. They're usually very inefficient. The biggest vendors aren't using them much anymore. Instead they put a better cooler on the card.

The human body can carry static. You get rid of static by touching a metallic object, in this case your chassi. It's mostly just about getting rid of the initial charge, because you'll usually not gather charge when doing stuff with your PC, but just always touch the chassi with your skin in some way and you'll be perfectly safe.

The newegg one has a reference cooler. AND it's more expensive. Terrible product. Don't get it.

Quoted:

nvm the diff is da clocks. It's worth it to spend a bit more to get the better clocks right?

**** NO
2minutes in the control center for the GPU and you'll have changed them to the same clocks, FOR FREE.

But seriously, stop looking at only Nvidia GPUs. They simply don't have a good GPU in that price-range yet. The 500 series is kinda bad. Either go GTX670 or AMD HD6950.

If you change the 6950 to a 6970 you'll have the best price/performance on the market. The 6950 alone is really good in price/performance.
"If someone is ****, you point at them and declare "****!". Because this is the internet." - Serpentiferous

"The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and little girls are the FBI." - ???

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide