Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Best support?

Creator: iTzKPanda April 27, 2012 7:16pm
Slappiz
<Member>
Slappiz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2012 3:58am | Report
is this the wall of text thread ? :O

And Janna is the best support, end of discussion :D
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2012 6:12am | Report
Karma...

Hmm... There is no possible way to prove that Karma's heal is better than anybody else with heal when you are comparing single target heals. The only thing that I can point out about it is that not one other heal in the entire game can heal your whole team while damaging the entire enemy team.
Her shield and heal do not have fancy buffs like almost all others...because they deal damage to ANY enemies close, not just one.

Don't forget that her heal, Heavenly Wave, (5% health missing + 1% for 50 AP) works extremely well with her passive, Inner Flame, which increases her AP for her missing health.

If it did have equal ratios it would make absolutely no sense. Riot has to balance things out somehow. Aside from lacking any hard CC, she is not worse than any other support.

I build AP on my supports if they scale with it. It blocks more damage for shields, heals more, and even does more damage. Supports are not made to be nothing but 6 extra slots for your team. Their skill-set makes them support, not their items. If that was the case, just load items up on an extremely agile and uncatchable champion.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
Asaki
<Member>
Asaki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2012 9:23pm | Report
Janna's the best support, as she heavily lowers the DPS of the enemy team by CC'ing them every 6 seconds with her AOE knock-up. Her ult is also "save team easy-mode", which is even easier if you have Shurelya's.
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 15, 2012 8:51am | Report
Is the creator of this thread even watching any more? im sure with all the bickering and back-and-forthing and the multitude of different opinions, if he WERE still watching, he would be even more confused then when he started.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 15, 2012 7:01pm | Report
animorte wrote:

Hmm... There is no possible way to prove that Karma's heal is better than anybody else with heal when you are comparing single target heals. The only thing that I can point out about it is that not one other heal in the entire game can heal your whole team while damaging the entire enemy team.

<quibble>Technically, Alistar's heal procs his passive, so...</quibble>

While I do agree that Karma's heal has some upshots due to being tied to an AoE nuke, it still is extremely weak in lane, when her carry is going to need it. It can be extremely difficult, and sometimes impossible, to bring its damage to bear against your opponents in lane, because the lane is a battle between two characters who are ranged. Unless their carry has exceptionally low range and you are extremely close to your carry, or they jump in balls deep against you, it's very hard to use the damage on it while also healing.

In teamfights, I still think that comparing single target heal numbers is perfectly applicable against most team compositions. This is because, most of the time, teams focus down their enemies one at a time, rather than doing heavy AoE. However, against heavy AoE teams, Karma's heal very well could shine. (Though it could also bite, because a better counter to AoE comps is not bunching up, which means that Karma can't heal everyone.)

animorte wrote:

Aside from lacking any hard CC, she is not worse than any other support.

I still very, very much disagree with this. While Karma's entire skill set is full of support skills, I think that one of the major things holding her back is that none of them, alone, are as useful as their counterparts on other supports. Her heal isn't as strong as Soraka's, her shield doesn't have as useful a buff as Janna's, and her movespeed buff isn't as strong as Nunu's. While she does have all three, the fact that none of them are as strong as they could be elsewhere really does hold her back. She does have to choose one to skill into first, after all, so until the very late game she barely has access to multiple forms of support abilities. The lack of hard CC doesn't help, either, but Soraka has barely any hard CC (that can really help win trades in a lane of two AD carries) but is still considered one of the better supports.

animorte wrote:

I build AP on my supports if they scale with it. It blocks more damage for shields, heals more, and even does more damage. Supports are not made to be nothing but 6 extra slots for your team. Their skill-set makes them support, not their items. If that was the case, just load items up on an extremely agile and uncatchable champion.

Actually, the reason I don't think a support should plan on having much AP isn't anything other than that they won't. Supports don't make enough money to buy a lot of AP, and when they do they end up too squishy to do anything but stand at the edge of a teamfight and hope no one attacks them. This is especially true for Karma, who needs to be down in the middle of a teamfight in order to capitalize some of her skills.

Yes, their skill set is what makes them a support, but the thing about their skill set that makes them a support is that it does not need items to remain really good, and often actually scales poorly besides. For example, Soraka's heal is baller even without AP, due to its armor buff, and it has a terrible AP ratio. For another example, the AD buff on Janna's shield does not have any scaling. These are the things that define them as supports, not simply that their skill set is strong. Plenty of other champions have strong skill sets--such as pretty much every strong champion in the game--but are not really that good as supports.

In addition, Karma has decent AP ratios on her skills. She's probably better off capitalizing on them by playing mid or top lane, where she can actually afford to buy items.

(As for building really agile and being uncatchable... That's pretty much how I play Janna...)
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2012 7:05am | Report
Alistar has to walk on top of (or extremely close to) his enemies for the passive to be useful, hence the word 'trample'. Karma has a lot more team fight potential than she has laning. Oddly enough, I do exceptionally well with her either way. The rest, touché.

Slappiz wrote:

is this the wall of text thread ? :O

Apparently.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
Crown
<Member>
Crown's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 21, 2012 9:10am | Report
I say Janna. She's my most played character in ranked.
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2012 1:25pm | Report
I'd say Soraka or Taric. Many many times have I won games for my team with Soraka just by being a badass support. Or if you wanna **** everyone's day up... support Shen. Why? Because F*** you that's why!

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe
Sp4c31nv4d3r
<Member>
Sp4c31nv4d3r's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 23, 2012 12:07pm | Report
Have have played with Janna's that have saved in a base push long enough for us to survive and then counter push for the win. I would say that her skills are invaluable in any game.
CALL ME THOR. :) BEHOLD, I AM SMILING.
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 23, 2012 12:57pm | Report
I absolutely love the supports that can completely shut down an enemy while the carry destroys them. The best supports are the ones that can be aggressive AND defensive. They can lock down the enemy while also being able help the carry with sustain.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide