Garen Build Guide by Spinnax
Mastery Tree Is Outdated
WARNING: These masteries are still using the old tree and have not been updated to the new tree by the guide author. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Welcome to my first guide - AD Garen guide. Most people that I see playing Garen play it as a tank, I'm not saying thats wrong but full tank Garen doesnt really have much damage output in late game while other top tanky laners for example Malphite and Shen can be quite beasty late game also. And because Garen as a tank cannot make a noticable amount of damage I've decided to try AD Garen and it was really good. So fasten your seatbelts and lets begin!
Pros / Cons
Nice damage output
Can interrupt channeling spells
Hard to gank
Can remove slow effects
Insane laning sustain because of his passive
Countered by ranged champions
After a bad early game its hard to be good at end game
No getaway skill, only speed - Similar to [udyr]
*9 - This marks will boost your AD quite nicely. You can also replace them with armor penetration marks although your early damage output will be lower, besides you will be getting Last Whisperer in this build.
*9 - Standard defensive runes.
*9 - Standard defensive runes.
Greater Quintessence of Desolation*3 - Some more armor penetration to add besides
*3 - Also a good choice to boost your attack damage.
I take 20 points in offense, boosting your attack damage and attack speed, also giving some extra armor penetration.
Than I usually take 8 points in defense. Why I don't get ? Simply because my summoner skills that I take are teleport and flash and I can use 1 point on which boosts those two skills.
As a starting item take
. After first comeback your goal should be
When you manage to obtain your Last Whisper you should look forward to getting boots. If you are laning against magic dps champion like [kennen] or [swain] you should consider buying instead of . Also if you are laning or having many AD champions on opposing team consider buying
After you've obtained boots and you should consider buying . It is your main AD item which will also provide you with a nice amount of lifesteal.
After that you should get some health, buy or - Go either way.
Upgrade them into as soon as possible.
When you have the items above its time to upgrade your into . It will provide you with additional AD and even more magic resist. Also it will deny AP burst champions to take you down really quick.
After this you should consider buying if you're getting targeted alot or just upgrade into .
- Provides Garen with more armor and critical rate. Also quite nice damage boost since this build provides Garen with reasonable amount of health.
- If the enemy team has alot of AP champions.
- On AD Garen this item isn't useful that much but will still boost your hp regeneration and health massively.
- If you decide not to get you can take Hearth of Gold and later upgrade it into . This item will give you a nice amount of armor and a debuff that is really usefull in teamfights.
- This spell is really common on most of the champions you see in game - Provides you with a quick mostly 100% getaway in awkward situations.
- Usefull skill to get back on your lane fast after ganking or just use it to gank! :)
You may also like:
- Will reduce damage received from the enemy champion, also a nice slow.
I do not recommend taking because your Q already gives you a nice speed boost.
Start with to poke enemy champions( It will also silence them) - But don't run into them like a tank. Use it wisely. (1,8,10,12,13)
Second skill to learn is your (The spin). This will tare apart your enemies if they keep in range( Max this skill first). It will also remove slow effects on you. (2,4,5,7,9)
Take only one point in skill till late game. (3,14,15,17,18)
Max every single time possible!( 6, 11, 16)
Garen can counter many champions:
-Mordekaiser( Not confirmed)
-Shen( Not confirmed)
-Xin Zhao( Not confirmed)
But he is not effective against ranged champions with ALOT of harass potential. Why not against all ranged champions? - Because of his passive that regenerates 0,5% of your maximum hp per 5 seconds.
At the start of the game you should consider if its worth beeing AD if the opponent can harras you alot. If you see you will not be able to handle your lane you should go pure tank build.
- Yorrick, You cannot harras him with your Q and E because he will just heal back but he also cannot kill you due to your passive. When you drop to half hp just stay alittle behind and get exp than jump back in. NOTE: Yorrick will proabably run out of his mana before you run out of HP.
Hope you didn't find my guide boring( To be honest I think it is boring but well its my first guide) I will be updating this guide so feel free to comment below. I apologize for any mistakes I've made or wrong coding. If you find any mistakes please post it below and I will fix it when I update.
Thank you for reading my guide^^
Garen - Dominating Early/Mid Game (+Video/Commentary!)
Garen - The Original Beyblade
S3 Ranked freak Garen.
Mïffy's Guide to Dominating with Garen!