Build Guide by Ezekial
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
1st Build posted, english/grammar may be poor and I often have trouble explaining things, questions/comments welcome.
Galio The Sentinel's Sorrow
Galio is a Tank/Support/Mage, He is a dominant early/mid game character. He has a lot of unique things going for him, such as his Gust and one of the most game changing Ult's in the game. His creep farming ability is also just insane, every match you play you should be top of the game on minion kills and only trumped by maybe Hiemer. He is also one of the most brutal early game harasser's. All His ability's are fast cool downs even his ult is relatively quick for how much power it has.
Insane creep farmer
Game changing Ult
Insane team fighter
Squishy early game
Skill shot based champ
These are really your own personal preference.
Cool-down caps at -40%.
Great site posted by someone in my comments in regards to runes.
Gravefury's Recommendation: http://runeterra.com/forums/index.php?topic=1137
Clarity: This is the single best summoner spell for Galio. You will be using it through out the game, if not to benefit yourself then to benefit others. Early game it will allow you to harass hard and keep up the punishment, Late game it can also be just as useful.
Teleport: This is a personal preference spell, you can replace this with flash or ghost depending on how you play. Honestly the only real reason I take Teleport is so I can jump to base, pick up chalice and get back to continue harassing. Early game laning phase usually determines how the rest of the match is going to play out. Being able to jump back to base quick and pick up your Chalice of Harmony, or later your Guardian Angel is every important so you can get back to denying/farming/team fights etc. as soon as possible.
You may have noticed I only have 3 items at the top. This is just the staple items I take for EVERY match I play with Galio. As any tank you know your items you take for defensive or even offensive change from match to match due to who your opposition is.
There are lots of Defensive items that are good for a normal tank but just lackluster for Galio, and here is the list!
Frozen Heart: This is really a great item, unfortunately the passive will hinder your Ult making it not worthwhile in the long run.
Randuin's Omen: One of the most popular choices for tanks, unfortunately as with the Frozen Heart the passive just isn't worth it. The active you should never actually need seeing you have an AoE taunt/fast lane/ranged aoe slow.
Thornmail: The bane to Yi and Warwick, as good as it may sound Galio has little to no use for it other then the 100Def. Your Ult makes you take a percentage based reduced damage making the Thornmail's uses rather unnoticeable.
Meki Pendant+ Health Potionx2 is what you'll want to take as your early game items. You may or may not need the Health Potions but it is better to be safe then sorry! You can always sell them later.
Depending on what you're fighting against you'll want your last 3 items to be as such:
Heavy Magic Team:
Right here you're looking at +283MR from items, +90MR from Bulwark meaning you have total of 403MR at late game, this also means you'll still have 202AP allowing yourself to still put out damage while taking minuscule to next to nothing damage while Bulwark is up.
Heavy Physical Team:
Whenever I play against a heavy physical team I normally take the path of getting more AP, mainly so my ULT will just devastate them as well as keeping my Resolute Smite and Righteous Gust ability's still useful. Most of the defense you will need come from your Bulwark ability.
If they have a lot of Disables get: banshees veil
so you go:
or if not:
Combination of items for a really good mix of DEF, MR and AP.
For any reason if you complete any of these build and your game is still not over, I normally sell Chalice of Harmony and pick up a Soul Shroud, Warmog's Armor or Hexdrinker.
Personal preference or based or how the game is going, with Warmog's Armor you should be able to fill it up effortlessly.
If it ever gets to this point you need to be careful with your mana consumption.
Ha ha! You can't hurt me!:
Adding these 3 items will make you feel invincible at the cost of a lot of AP though unfortunately. But on many occasions I have dragged 2-3 enemy champs back to my base all the way across the lane from there base.
Grab your Meki and HP pots and head to a lane, preferable a 2v1 lane if you have a jungler, if not it really doesn't matter who you lane with. With Clarity you can spam spells pretty hard. Try to pick a target that doesn't have a self heal or you can use it to secure yourself last hits.
Once you hit lv3 and get your second point into Resolute Smite you'll be able to really devastate an unsuspecting champ normally you'll be able to get of 1-3 combo's of Q->E bursting them for around 200 damage. This will normally push whoever you're fighting off lane or to hump there tower hard.
When you acquire your first 500 gold, depending on how your current mana situation is and your progress in the lane you may want to just teleport to base pick up your chalice and teleport back into your lane.
You should have no more MP problems with any of your spells and can primarily use them for farming Q->E will kill any casters creeps instantly.
By now you should have your cup, boots and have or be working on your GA. Team fights have started some towers are down etc. Stick with your team! Galio is a beast team fighter, his ult is amazing his slow and speed up ability's will guarantee yourself or hopefully your carry's kills. On top of all that, the other team will just always be intimidated around you. If needed be ready to teleport to your turrets in case you have someone trying to push one down.
Well by now you're pretty much just a brick wall when you have Bulwark on. Good news, you're really hard to kill. Unfortunately your 2 offensive ability's are plateauing out and are now mostly support ability's for slow and sleep (Don't get me wrong they still do damage, but not enough).
- Stick with your team
- Don't be afraid to use your ult
- bulwark your fellow champs if they need it
- Don't take stupid risks
- Try not to lane against Blitzcrank as he is a serious pain in the ***. Other then his normal things that will make you smash your face into your desk he has one big annoyance. The big problem is when he primes his uppercut ability and you Ult him, he will break your ult instantly and knock you into the air.
- Things take practice and a "art" of perception.
- Harass! With clarity straight from the start you should be able to punish who/whatever lanes against you. Remember, Pushing a champ off lane will benefit your team in the end, every time they leave lane they will fall behind by a level or more.
- Don't be afraid to ult! Waiting on that "magical moment" will probably never happen with a good team facing you, every getting 1 kill off your ult will tip a team fight in your favor as well as make the other team frantic.
- When you're still early game, lv6 and just get your ult you can use it to take down whoever is laning against you pretty easily. Try to grab there enemy creep wave with the champ this way you'll have no question of being able to hit the 80% bonus cap on your ult.
- Resolute Smite & Righteous Gust can be spammed together and hit the same place around the same time causing bursts of damage, remember to use this because in a team fight situation especially you'll have your fast lane for people to catch up on top of them being slowed.
- Try not to KS carry's you'll have no problem making gold just of obliterating creep lines.
History!!!(Patch notes dump)
Release Notes v184.108.40.206 on 03-15-2011
* Righteous Gust mana cost reduced to 70/75/80/85/90 from 80/85/90/95/100
Release Notes v220.127.116.11 on 02-01-2011
* Resolute Smite's area of effect size and projectile speed have been increased slightly
Release Notes v18.104.22.168 on 11-30-2010
* Resolute Smite ability power ratio increased to 0.75 from 0.7
* Righteous Gust ability power ratio reduced to 0.5 from 0.65
* Righteous Gust movement speed bonus increased to 20/25/30/35/40% from 20/24/28/32/36%
* Idol of Durand
o Ability power ratio reduced to 0.6 from 0.8
o Damage percent increase on hit reduced to 5% from 10%
o Total damage cap reduced to 140% from 180%
Release Notes v22.214.171.124 on 11-15-2010
* Idol of Durand
o Fixed a bug where casting would break an enemy's Spell Shield and then taunt them again
o Fixed a bug where the taunt particle sometimes played on targets that blocked the taunt
o Fixed a bug where Idol of Durand's ability power ratio was inconsistent
o Ability power ratio decreased to .8 from 0.85
* Bulwark duration reduced to 3.5 seconds from 4
* Righteous Gust base damage reduced to 65/110/155/200/245 from 70/115/160/205/250
* Righteous Gust ability power ratio reduced to 0.65 from 0.8
* Resolute Smite ability power ratio increased to 0.70 from 0.6
Release Notes v126.96.36.199 on 10-19-2010
* Righteous Gust mana cost increased to 80/85/90/95/100 from 70/75/80/85/90
* Resolute Smite mana cost increased to 70/75/80/85/90 from 60/65/70/75/80
* Idol of Durand mana cost increased to 100/150/200 from 100/145/190
* Idol of Durand duration reduced to 2 from 2.5
Release Notes v188.8.131.52 on 08-24-2010
* Idol of Durand
o Taunt radius reduced to 500 from 520.
o Damage radius increased to 520 from 500.
o Adjusted team colored range circle to more accurately represent taunt range
* Resolute Smite's particle will now more properly represent the area of effect
Release Notes v184.108.40.206 on 08-10-2010
Galio Ã�ï¿½Ã�Â¢Ã�Â¯Ã�Â¿Ã�Â½Ã�Â¯Ã�Â¿Ã�Â½ The SentinelÃ�ï¿½Ã�Â¢Ã�Â¯Ã�Â¿Ã�Â½Ã�Â¯Ã�Â¿Ã�Â½s Sorrow is born
* Resolute Smite: Galio fires a concussive blast from his eyes, slowing and dealing damage to enemies caught near the impact point.
* Bulwark: Galio shields an ally Champion, increasing their Armor and Magic Resistance, and restoring Galio's health each time that Champion suffers damage.
* Righteous Gust: Galio claps his wings, unleashing a gust of concussive wind that damages enemies and leaves a directional draft in its wake that increases ally movement speed.
* Idol of Durand: Galio assumes the form of a statue, taunting nearby enemies and storing concussive energy as they attack him. Galio then bursts from his statue shell, releasing the stored energy to damage surrounding foes.
* Runic Skin: Galio converts 50% of his total Magic Resistance into Ability Power.