Gangplank Build Guide by TheatreOfDreams
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello everyone, I go by TheatreOfDreams on Eu West servers. Feel free to add me in-game if you want to play a game or ask something :) This is my first guide here on MobaFire, the reason that I decided to make a guide for Gangplank is because I love playing as the Pirate, and would like more people to try him out. Please try the build out before downvoting it, I put in a lot of work into this. If you downvote (or upvote) please tell me how to improve in making guides.
Without further ado, here we go, hope you enjoy it.
Gangplank was born the son of the dread pirate captain Vincent the Shadow - one of the most wealthy and feared pirates in all of Blue Flame Island. One might think this would have spoiled the boy with a cushioned life of privilege, but the truth is quite the opposite. Growing up in the city of Bilgewater isn't easy; pirates are not known for their compassion, and that most certainly extends to their families. Vincent wanted his son to grow up tough and strong, so he was extremely hard on the young Gangplank. Even as a child, Gangplank was as mean as a snake and is said to have slept with his eyes open. As he grew, the young man rapidly became the most ruthless and feared pirate in all of Bilgewater, and his daddy was never more proud than on the day of his son's eighteenth birthday - when Gangplank stabbed his old man in the back and claimed the famed pirate ship, the Dead Pool, for his own.
The continent of Valoran, however, is a dangerous place for pirates; Gangplank could read the writing on the wall. The den of pirates known as Bilgewater would soon be pulled down by the undertow of Valoranian politics and the Institute of War. It was time for Bilgewater to have their own champion to represent them in the League of Legends, and who better than the fiercest pirate of them all? It is said that Gangplank has enough power and favor to claim the title of the Pirate King back home, but that he is simply biding his time and building his reputation as a champion before he returns to a life of piracy.
"Yo ho, blow the man down. Or at least shoot him when his back is turned and steal all his booty."
Pros / Cons
As it is with every other champion, Gangplank has both Pros and Cons
I take the 21/0/9 masteries. This is what I had the most success with, but you can also try the 0/21/9 or 21/9/0.
I use Teleport so I upgrade it in the utillity mastery, but if you want to run Ghost instead of Teleport for example, remember to switch up the masteries so you benefit the most from your summoner spells.
Greater Mark of Armor Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Health
Greater Seal of Armor. I like to take the armor Seals because I love the early game advantage they give me paired with my Greater Quintessence of Health. You can take the Greater Seal of Evasion if you want better late game.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist. Now, this one is up for a debate. I take this because I love the late game Magic Resistance it provides. If you plan on getting Force of Nature for example, this runes aren't needed. You can run Greater Glyph of Attack Speed then.
Greater Quintessence of Health. Another choice aimed to provide me better early game. You never know when the extra 78 health could save you. Another good choice is greater quintessence of desolation if you want to get more Armor pen.
The item build that I use the most and that gave me the best result:
- I use these boots because I believe Gangplank benefits a lot from the extra CDR. Late game you replace this with Phantom Dancer
- The core item in this build. Gives you + 920 health and 30 health regeneration. Also, it's passive will increase your + health from 920 to whooping 1370 health and your health regen to 45. Amazing item when paired with Atma's Impaler
- Another core item that paired with Warmog's Armor gives great results because of it's passive. The extra armor and crit chance is also very good for Gangplank as he benefits from both. Atma's Impaler becomes cost efficient when you reach 2000+ HP.
- This is the item that will just blow your enemies away. The extra AD, Crit chance and Crit damage is just awesome. Enjoy watching those 1000+ Parrrley crits land on your enemies :)
- Starts off with 60 AD and 15% lifesteal. Now, it's passive is the good part, for every minion you kill you get + 1 Attack Damage + 0.25% life steal. The bonuses max out at + 40 AD and + 10% life steal, which means you end up with 100 attack damage and 25% life steal. Amazing. Bonuses are lost upon death.
- This just benefits you in every way possible, I would recommend not skipping this item, but if you want another The Bloodthirster or Phantom Dancer, be my guest.
- 55% Attack speed, 30% Crit chance, 15% MS. Helps you clear out minion waves, and you can get up close and deal some amazing damage with that AS. Squishies are guaranteed to fall instantly :) You get this item to replace your Ionian Boots of Lucidity
Now, not every game will go perfectly, you must change your build to counter the enemies, that's why I will name a few situational items that should counter most team compositions.
- Take this if the enemy is stacking armor like crazy, this isn't a great item choice if the enemy only has 3 Cloth Armor's for example. Only get this if they are stacking Frozen Heart and Thornmail.
philosopher's stone - If you want that health regen and gp/10, by all means, take this item or take Heart of Gold
- Frozen Mallet is a very good choice for Gangplank since his Parrrley applies on hit effects, Frozen Mallet being one of them
- This item is a MUST if you are jungling, would not recommend it for laning.
- If the enemy team has heavy CC, get these boots.
- Force of Nature compliments Warmog's Armor really well. Get it if the enemy team has a lot of AP.
- Your Remove Scurvy just isn't enough for you? Grab this item.
- I recommend getting this over Thornmail because of it's passive, extra CDR and reducing enemy AS is really good. Get this item against heavy AD teams.
Now, the skill sequence is not set in stone. You can get Raise Morale over Remove Scurvy, but since Raise Morale is used mostly near teammates, you won't get the most out of it (You will be solo top 95% of the time).
I recommend maxing Parrrley first (obviously getting Cannon Barrage whenever possible) because it is your bread and butter skill, it's what makes Gangplank the scary Pirate that he is.
Flash is getting a nerf in Season 2, so I will update this and change it up if Flash turns up to be really bad afterwards :)
Most of the time I use and .
The reason for taking Flash is obvious, it's just the best summoner in the game.
I get Teleport because I love having that lane control. Bottom just died? I can be there in a second and defend the tower. Enemy jungler is taking the dragon? Just Teleport to the ward and kill him.
Other Summoner spell choices:
- Against Dr. Mundo and his annoying health regen? Just toss this on him and watch him die.
- Get this if you are jungling. You can jungle without Smite? Don't.
- If you want the extra escape mechanism
- Only get this if you are playing Gangplank as a support.
I can't name all Champions that you will encounter top, but I can name the often ones that you will encounter. If their name is red that means that you will probably have a hard time. If it is yellow the lane should be even. If their name is green you will have a upper hand in most situations.
Singed - Oh how much I hate Singed... He can farm while harrasing you with his Poison Trail. He can also Fling you into his tower. I hate laning against him.
Irelia - This is a pretty even lane. Just try to farm and deny her farm by zoning her out. Watch out for her stun, it could ruin you.
Cho'Gath - This will just be a - "Who can farm more" lane. Just farm and throw some mild harass, you can't kill him pre-6, neither can he kill you. But be careful when he reaches 6.
Yorick - Probably the hardest lane. If you don't help from your jungler, chances are you will lose the lane.
Jarvan IV - Just dodge his Dragon Strike and don't stay in lane if you are low health, he will ulti you and you will be dead before you know it.
Renekton - I tagged him red because of his early game, his late game is not good. But early game try to not be too agressive, he can end you fast. And don't towerdive him, he will use his Dominus and you will end up looking stupid.
Early game with Gangplank is really straight forward. Just farm, farm and farm. Harass the enemy a bit and wait for your jungler to make a move. Remember, your Parrrley applies the slow on every attack, so be sure to slow the enemy to make it easier.
Not much to say here, moving on to mid-game.
As Mid game comes you should start getting core items and farming up Warmog's Armor and if you are doing so good, The Bloodthirster.
This is the time first teamfights occur. You should always fire your ultimate a bit behind your enemies, ensuring they can't run away, but not too far, you still want your Cannon Barrage to deal damage.
Don't forget to use your Raise Morale, it will help your team immensely. Use your Parrrley on the enemy carry and if you get CC'd use your Remove Scurvy.
Know when to retreat from teamfights, it's better to lose 2 people and not kill a single enemy then to get aced while killing 2 of them. You either gave them a free Baron or they will push a tower or two.
Late game is when Gangplank really shines. You have your full build, you 2-shot their squishies and people run away as soon as they see you.
Try to pick up Dragon for your team when it spawns, you never know who in your team could use that extra bit of gold.
Again, not much to say here.
This is a picture of warding spots on the map, everyone in the team should contribute with wards, yes, even you.
Buy a ward, stop a gank, save a life.
Well, I hope you enjoyed reading my guide on Gangplank :)
Please leave feedback on how I can improve, or if you want me to change something.
I would like to thank jhoijhoi for making an awesome Guide to making guides.
Check it out here: Making a guide by JhoiJhoi