Zed Build Guide by SergeantSkillz
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Off-Tank Duelist Zed
Optional Last Item (Tank)
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Zed with this build
|Fiora||Fiora's threat level towards Zed is so low because with the tank provided through the build, he is capable of fighting Fiora directly, and with the burst and increased auto attack damage, he has the capability to go into a head to head duel and win.|
1. Playing Zed with this build and lane requires a different play style of Zed, so disclaimer: playing Zed the way you have always played him in the mid lane will not be efficient in the top lane. It will require some changes to play style, none of which will be hard to execute (if anything Zed top is easier than Zed mid).
2. Building Zed in this way will drastically enhance your on hit damage, so make sure that you use your auto attacks the most of anything while in combat.
3. Now to explain the build. Trinity Force is an essential item. This is because Zed has relatively low cooldown abilities, which makes provocation of the Trinity Force passive frequent. The next item is Sterak's Gage, which is built because of its uses in dueling, and its increase in base damage. Since Trinity Force's passive damage is based off of base auto attack damage, Sterak's increase in base attack damage works perfectly with Trinity Force. The most essential item in the build is Titanic Hydra, and it is a must rush. Since with the items we have currently built, we are given health and amplified damage after abilities, it is important that you build Titanic Hydra. It will scale in damage based off of its own health and the health of Trinity Force, Sterak's Gage, Black Cleaver, and potentially off of whatever your final item is. This means that while building health, you are gaining damage as well. The final essential item is Black Cleaver which is built because of the health, damage, and armor penetration, which are all essential to the play style of this champion in any lane or build.
4. Usually, after using Zed's ultimate ability, it is important to land all of your abilities and several auto attacks in order to maximize damage. When playing Zed top lane, the same philosophy applies, but with less emphasis on abilities and more emphasis on basic attacks. Also, rather than using the ultimate to assassinate or secure kills, use it when dueling to make you momentarily untargetable and deal tons of damage (no I'm not Phreak) at the end of the mark duration.
5. Use your shadows for positioning and mobility, and nothing else. Using the shadow to land additional poke is usually useless in the top lane because of the durability of most top laners. Save them for engages and disengages only.
6. Eventually, your Razor Shuriken (Q) and Shadow Slash (E) will fall off in damage because of the lack of attack damage built. Instead use your Shadow Slash (E) as a slow utility, and use your Razor Shuriken (Q) to secure kills and apply slight extra damage. In the early game however, using your Razor Shuriken (Q) to poke is the only thing it should be used for other than for farming.