Kayle Build Guide by Infinite83
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Back when I started League of Legends, Kayle was one of the champions that nobody played, she became non-existent to me. Even after her rework, I still barely played her.
However, this all changed once I got word of her jungling skills. I always thought of Kayle as a support, not worthy of even being considered a jungle, but boy was I completely wrong. She is extremely fast in the jungle, one of the fastest in my opinion. I've had people queue-dodge because they don't believe that Kayle can jungle. I'm here to show you my build and hopefully you too will be able to prove all the nonbelievers wrong. Enjoy :)
Pros / Cons
- Hybrid brings out full potential
- Really fast jungle
- Slow ability to create very useful ganks
- Splash ability to take down jungle camps and minion waves with ease
- Heal ability
- High base health
- Invulnerability from Ulti allows you or a teammate to tower dive without worries
- You rely heavily on the ranged attack and splash capabilities of Righteous Fury, without it your damage drops immensely
- If you get fed enough, you will be a prime target in team fights
- Your heal is not very strong early game
- Since you're jungling, Smite is a must to help finish off the hard buff camps, including dragon and Baron.
- For the next Summoner Spell, I prefer to take Flash for its ability to be a gap closer when I gank. It can also be used as an escape tool. The only other Summoner Spell that I can recommend to take is Ghost, which can replace Flash. Any other Summoner Spell is not as useful as Flash or Ghost.
I put a point in Righteous Fury at level 1 and max by level 9 because it is your main damage dealing ability both in the jungle and in lane/team fights. Early in the game, the more powerful your Righteous Fury is, the quicker you'll be able to take out the jungle camps and the quicker you'll level up.
I take a point in Reckoning at level 3 and max by level 13 because it is your initiating attack when you gank. Even with 1 point, the slow is really effective for early ganks and easy kills. The slow from Reckoning will also increase the damage you deal to enemy champions because of the damage amplifing passive Reckoning has.
I max Divine Blessing last because I designed this build to be more damage dealing than supporting. However, since you're hybrid, you'll have a decent amount of AP end game so you will be able to have a decent heal near the end of the game. This is one of the prime reasons I do go Hybrid because if you go full AD, your heal will be useless, but if you go Hybrid, you could possibly help a teammate survive a team fight. I do take a point in Divine Blessing at level 2 because it does help early on in the jungle.
Kayle's speed in the jungle comes from her attack speed. The faster you attack, the more effective your Righteous Fury will be. This is why I take Greater Mark of Attack Speed and Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed to start off with an additional 25% attack speed.
I save defensive qualities for the Seals and Glyphs, taking Greater Seal of Armor for more sustain in the jungle and Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist to have more magic resist late game.
For masteries I go 21/9/0 because I am a damage dealing Kayle. Going 9/21/0 or 9/0/21 really cuts down on your effectiveness. I prefer the 9 points in defense rather than utility because I like to have survivability when I'm in the jungle and I don't run into mana problems when I play Kayle so the utilities are not worth it in my opinion.
These Items are out of date and subject to change due to the new items coming in S3. I have not looked if any of the core items I use in this build have been removed. I know there are new items that have been added that will be useful to this build, especially since they made the jungle slighly tougher. I will update this section once I have tested out the new items.
- To start off my jungle I like to start off with Boots of Speed and 3X Health Potion. The Boots of Speed allow you to move around the jungle easier and be able to initiate an early gank quicker.
- I feel that this starting combination is better than the Cloth Armor & 5X Health Potion combination because you don't run into health problems because you have your Divine Blessing to heal you when needed, so the extra armor and health potions are not necessary.
Early Game Items
- Whenever you can upgrade your Boots of Speed for Berserker's Greaves. This added attack speed will make you clear out jungle camps really fast.
- After that get a Madred's Razor and eventually upgrade to Wriggle's Lantern. Wriggle's is a very good early game item for an jungler. It gives you a free ward, lifesteal and armor.
- I build a Malady next to get some AP and even more attack speed. Malady's on-hit affect is great for Righteous Fury because each auto-attack will lower your opponents magic resist by 6,stacking up to 4 times, for a total of 24 magic resist which would cause your Righteous Fury to do additional magic damage.
Late Game/Core Items
- Guinsoo's Rageblade is the first item you get that starts to make you a Hybrid Kayle. It gives you both AD and AP and has a stacking AP and attack speed passive that will increase your AP by 30 and attack speed by 20% at full stacks.
- Nashor's Tooth is a really good item for this Kayle build because it gives you AP, attack speed, mana regen, and cooldown reduction. If you activate Righteous Fury, by the time the duration is over, the cooldown is already done so you can activate Righteous Fury again right as it ends.
- Hextech Gunblade is the item that replaces your Wriggle's Lantern. This item has it all, in terms of damage, for a hybrid champion. It gives you AD, AP, lifesteal and spell vamp. It also has a unique active that inflicts 300 magic damage and slows the champion for 50%.
- Frozen Mallet is a really fun item for Kayle. It will slow your enemies movement speed, which combined with the passive of your Reckoning, will make you do up to an additional 10% damage on any enemy you slow.
- Madred's Bloodrazor is a good item to get when enemy champions are stacking health rather than resistance. This will make cutting through their health extremely easy when used with Righteous Fury
- The Black Cleaver works really well with Kayle's passive ability Holy Fervor. Combine The Black Cleaver, Malady and Holy Fervor to really reduce enemy champions armor and magic resistance in a team fight for easy kills and assists.
- Wit's End gives you more attack speed and increases your magic resistance, which will work well if the majority of the enemy is AP. It will also add an additional 42 magic damage to your autoattacks, making Righteous Fury even more lethal.
- Ionic Spark is a really cool item in my opinion. If Righteous Fury is on cooldown, your melee attacks can still have the "splash" effect every 4 hits. It will also add on to your damage while Righteous Fury is activated.
- Mejai's Soulstealer & Sword of the Occult are really situational items. I would only get these items if you're moderately fed and could easily secure kills or assists without dying. Your ultimate Intervention could potentially help you keep your stacks in close-calls.
*Note:These optional items are up to you and are primarily focused on the enemy team composition and testing purposes. The items that you replace with these optional items is up to you and your views/opinions. I have not tested all of these items on my Kayle build, I just put these items to consider other options when certain situations arise.
Creeping / Jungling
The image above is the route I take while jungling. With a leash you can easily take out Blue Buff, which will get you to an early level 2. After that I go wolves, wraiths and golems. After that I'm usually level 3 and I have a point in each of my abilities. At this point I'll either gank a lane in which the enemy champion(s) have overextended or I'll go for Red Buff. I'll keep repeating this process until I have my early game items and then I'll be in lane more than jungling. This Kayle build is also good for counter-jungling because you'll be able to take out enemy jungle camps really quick and get out of their jungle without them even noticing.
As far as ganking goes you initiate with your Reckoning to slow the champion and then Righteous Fury to start inflicting max damage. If your teammate stays and attacks with you, it will be an easy kill and will knock that enemy out of rhythm which is crucial for any game.
So this concludes my Hybrid Kayle build. I have a lot of fun with this build and even more fun when I get to prove a non-believer wrong. If you have any comments or concerns with my build then please rate, comment and let me know how you think. Thank you to everyone who views my build and gives it a chance :). GLHF
- 11/9/2012-Initial Release
- 11/9/2012-Updated appearance of Runes, Skill Sequence, Masteries, and Item Purchases
- 11/9/2012-Added Optional/Situational Items section
- 11/27/2012-Added Temporary Picture of S3 masteries
- 12/5/2012-Updated Masteries and notes about items