Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Morgana with this build
|Lux||In a direct matchup you do almost everything she does but better ... MUCH better. Your Q is on the same cooldown but hurts much more, your W gives you stronger waveclear, your shield makes her look like a babytoy. You farm all day while she has mana issues and basically you can all in whenever you like to if you hit Q which is easy against Lux. Overall: When 2 try to do the same thing its not the same thing.|
Thanks to Searz for the awesome guide format! You can find it here.
Hi, I am known as Satzmann666 (or Threshmeister to some ppl) and this is my very first guide, so i'll try to make it as complex and badass as possible. I have been maining support role since I joined ranked games and I soon realised how hard it is to carry games from that position.
Morgana became my mid lane ticket to gold/plat in seasons 4 and 5 basically the first game I played her, especially for her safe and rewarding gameplay. As a mid laner or support, she brings great utility to the team, as well as nice damage and her ultimate Soul Shackles is undoubtedly one of the best ultimates for teamfights. I hope you will enjoy playing her just as much as I do.
My guide should give you a reasonable idea on what kinds of runes, masteries, summoner spells, skill distributions, items and tactics you should be using. It has divided sections for both MID LANE and SUPPORT Morgana.
If you think that anything in my guide is untrue, you find a mistake, or just disagree with a certain item, point in masteries or rune, please let me know in comments rather than downvote the whole guide without a single word and leave.
This guide is now fully updated for season 6 changes.
Pros / Cons
I do not really like giving advices on runes since everyone tailors those to fit their own playstyle, so feel free to change some and see if its working for you.
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Seal of Health
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power
3x Greater Quintessence of Ability Power is sort of must have on most AP mids as well as 9x Greater Mark of Magic Penetration. Seals and Glyphs are really up to your imagination, just keep in mind that Morgana is AP champion and critical damage is not really useful on her :)
I use these same runes onSUPPORT Morgana.
Nothing to explain, really, you will need this to escape from ganks. When Black Shield fails, walljump, get inside the enemy team to perform Soul Shackles combo, or get away after you use it to engage. Flash is a must have.
A great spell for securing kills and reducing healing effects on target, try to save it for the moment you know it is going to kill the target.
In case you do not have Flash yet. Good for sticking to your enemies when you use Soul Shackles.
As a SUPPORT take this over Ignite, having at least one Exhaust in every team is mandatory.
- Can save your life when you have ignite or any other DOT (damage over-time) on you just by hitting as much minions as possible with Tormented Soil.
Enchanted Crystal Arrow is longer). It's a projectile skillshot that is kinda tricky to hit, but has decent range and is very useful in many situations.
- Put a Tormented Soil under a snared enemy champion to deal extra dmg.
- It deals enough dmg to steal jungle objectives, if enemy jungler is not around to Smite it, or managed to miss.
Morgana so safe in lane. It can kill all 3 caster minions on rank 3 and after you get your first AP items melee minions as well. As a support, use it to proc your Spellthief's Edge and Thunderlord's Decree or heal from minions.
- Usualy, you only need one cast of Tormented Soil per minion wave to keep enough mana sustain.
- With Tormented Soil, feel free to take your or even enemy wraiths for extra gold.
- If you know the enemy is going to focus on a certain carry on your team, shield them (unless he is Olaf), otherwise you can use it on yourself to be safe from the enemy CC while performing Soul Shackles=> Zhonya's Hourglass combo.
- Binding a self cast key for Black Shield can improve your reaction times while laning.
Soul Shackles with Dark Binding for great disable and guaranteed kill.
- Enemies like Vladimir or Fizz cannot escape stun from second tick by simply going untargettable, they need to physicaly escape the range.
- Combined with Dark Binding, it makes one enemy champion unable to move for hardly believable 4,5 seconds.
- PRO TIP Useful to scout for enemies in unwarded brush or stealth and even reveal them! When any enemy champion, even if you cannot see them, is in range, it turns available and if you use it they lose stealth.
This is my usual skill sequence when playing Morgana mid. I go for Tormented Soil to have safe level 1 farm and max it to 3 after I put 1 point in both Dark Binding and Black Shield.
You can grab Black Shield as well on level 3 to feel safer from ganks (in case enemy team has for example Amumu in jungle or Ahri with charm up on mid lane), just keep in mind that you need 3 points in Tormented Soil early to farm caster minions like a boss with a single spell.
As a support you do not farm, but you need as much utility as possible, so instead of Tormented Soil, you should take either Dark Binding against a squishy suppor like Sona, Janna, Annie, etc, or Black Shield against supports with hook, pull or any other kind of strong pick CC on level 1 ( Blitzcrank, Thresh).
Maxing out later strongly depends on how you are doing on lane. If you are doing good and enemy jungler is not giving you much trouble you can max Dark Binding faster and if you are getting ganked often and your lane is doing bad, put some extra points in Black Shield to lower its CD and make it more useful. In most games, 2 or 3 points in Black Shield is enough and I would recommend maxing Dark Binding for bindblowing (hehe) 3 seconds snare.
More info on items
- I put Zhonya's Hourglass in the 2nd inventory slot to have it bound to key 2 like any other important active item in build ( Blade of the Ruined King fe).
Morgana benefits from every single stat of this item a lot.
- With Chalice of Harmony or Athene's Unholy Grail feel free to leave a blue buff to your jungler if he needs it (like Kha'Zix or Amumu do).
- Morellonomicon is a great replacement for this item against AD heavy teams.
Athene's Unholy Grail and armor from Zhonya's Hourglass, more AP and extra utility to slow multiple enemies with Tormented Soil and Soul Shackles. If you need to survive before your teamfight combo is complete, this item can help you a lot with that.
- All enemies hit by Soul Shackles will be additionaly slowed by this item. Use it to your advantage and try to follow them since it is going to be even easier.
Infinity Edge of AP champions for nothing.
- Get it after at least 2 AP items to make 30% AP bonus as useful as possible.
Void Staff that deals % of HP as dmg overtime that I lately built couple of times and it was actually pretty good. It makes your Dark Binding hurt as hell and your Soul Shackles becomes even more a teamfight wrecker. You can still go for Void Staff or Abyssal Scepter and get Liandry's Torment instead of Rylai's Crystal Scepter.
- Its passive deals HP% DOT so it is good to build against tanky HP stackers such as Dr. Mundo or Cho'Gath.
Athene's Unholy Grail. I would only recommend building Morellonomicon if you stand up against a full AD team, because you will not miss the MR.
- Use Tormented Soil to proc Grievous wounds on multiple low HP enemies.
Void Staff. Being on your own, Void Staff will boost your dmg more, but it leaves you more vulnerable, whereas Abyssal Scepter offers a defensive stat.
- You should be the one to get it since you use your ultimate at the middle of enemy team in fights => you affect most of them with MR shred aura.
Last Whisper, only for AP and not AD carries. This will multiply all magic damage you do, so you will deal almost true damage to carries and eat through MR on tanks.
A replacement for Liandry's Torment in magic pen item slot.
- It is not a good idea to rush this item, since its effectiveness grows with amount of AP you already have and does not give you anything apart from the dmg boost.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter, but you want more AP, you can take this item. However, it is considered a troll item so it is not really a wise choice, you will be better off with utility items.
- Get lot of kills and assist.
- Dont die.
Cloth Armor or even Seeker's Armguard early to be able to trade better with enemy ADC without being killed, but do not rush it instead of wards or gold income items. If you have any extra gold from assists or champion kills and already have wards, slowly build this as your first AP item.
- With Seeker's Armguard try to get at least some lasthits to stack armor and AP when your ADC is away from lane or cannot reach a certain minion.
Talisman of Ascension.
- Use Tormented Soil to pickpocket + bandit gold from both enemy support and ADC in lane for biggest gold income.
Extra HP gives you more tankyness for trades.
- On your first back, do not buy straight Sightstone. Grab a Vision Ward and some AP ( Amplifying Tome), Boots of Speed, HP ( Ruby Crystal), or armor ( Cloth Armor) for trades instead.
One Locket of the Iron Solari per team is enough so do not build it if your jungler already have.
- Never forget to use its active.
Gives you extra tankyness, more utility and AP for reasonable price.
- All enemies hit by Soul Shackles will be slowed at the same moment by this item. Use it to your advantage and try to follow them since it is going to be easier.
Black Shield alone.
It compensates for no friendly castable heal in your kit.
- Just like with Locket of the Iron Solari, never forget to use its active.
NorthernRedStar for reminding me of this item.
Useful utility AP item for supports like Morgana, Annie or Sona who benefit from all its stats (AP, mana regen, CDR) well. Grievous wounds is an extremely effective tool against lifesteal, spellvamp or champion healing abilities.
- Use Tormented Soil to proc Grievous wounds on multiple low HP enemies.
- In case you are being really wealthy, this is your usual go-to item for maximizing your dmg output. The more AP you have, the more extra AP you get ... easy math.
Or you fail horribly and your gold will not be effectively spent :D.
- Get lot of assist (or even kills).
- Do not die.
When laning as Morgana, your main goal should be your farm => lasthitting minions and farming with Tormented Soil.
As soon as you get rank 3 Tormented Soil, farm caster minions from each wave with it and AA the melee ones. I would say that if you get 5 minions per wave => 60 - 70 CS on 10 minutes, it is good farm, but you usually consider anything higher than your opponents CS a good farm.
If you know how to do so, freeze your lane and zone your opponent so he gets less minions (remember you can heal back some harras due to your innate spellvamp from Soul Siphon).
You can use your Dark Binding to secure lasthits on siege (cannon) minions, but keep in mind that it costs you mana and if you have it on CD, you are much more vulnerable for engage from the enemy laner/jungler.
Morgana is sometimes called an "ungankable" mid laner and it is not far from the truth. You farm safely using Tormented Soil and do not need to go too far away from your turret, and even if you do, you can still Black Shield yourself in a bad situation, fire Dark Binding in enemy junglers or mid laners face and run under your turret. While being dived, your best chance is to Black Shield yourself, throw everything you have on enemy who is being focused by turret and run.
If everything else fails, you should still have Flash to get away.
On the other hand, Morgana is great at setting up ganks with Dark Binding and Soul Shackles. If your jungler is comming for a gank, position yourself so you can hit Dark Binding followed with Tormented Soil, or use your Soul Shackles => Dark Binding => Tormented Soil (=> Ignite) combo to get a kill.
Same combo is what you use when engaging on your own.
Morgana might not seem like a spectacular champion for roaming due to low mobility, but if needed, you can still greatly help out your teammates on other lanes.
Make sure the lane you are about to roam to knows about your intentions and go in with either surprise Dark Binding from unwarded bush or ( Flash =>) Soul Shackles => Dark Binding => Tormented Soil.
When facing any notorious roam champion Fizz, Ahri, Akali, always call ss/mia if you do not see them for longer than 5 seconds and if you know which way they went, alert that lane and try to safely follow them.
It is not champion kills that win games, but objectives (turrets, inhibitors, dragon, herald/baron) so try to take control over those. From a certain point of game (6 minutes) have both Dragon pit and Baron pit warded. In early game, if you get a chance (enemy jungler dead or low and recalling, enemy bot lane dead, etc) rally your team for Dragon.
As Morgana when taking either of boss monsters, stand out of the pit using your Tormented Soil and autoattacks to help and possibly have your Dark Binding ready for anyone who would try to come and steal it (or use it to help with boss if your team wants to rush it).
As a support DO NOT FARM (so obvious :D), but focus by all means on helping your ADCs farm.
So poke enemy ADC and support with Dark Binding and autoattacks for some nice dmg and extra money from Bandit , Black Shield any incomming CC and zone out enemy ADC from farm if you can.
You should have wards in river and in tri-bush to see enemy jungler soon enough to retreat, but if something goes wrong and you get ganked, you have to do the same procedure as on mid lane: Black Shield your carry or yourself depending on who is in danger of being CCed (if the danger is the same for both, shield your carry ofc), fire Dark Binding into a enemy junglers/ADCs face and run under your turret.
When your junglers is about to gank, ping where you think (or know) enemy support placed wards, and fire a well aimed and timed Dark Binding or perform the already mentioned ( Flash =>) Soul Shackles => Dark Binding => Tormented Soil (=> Ignite) combo.
Your key role at securing Dragon and Baron is keeping vision on them, and possibly denying enemy vision.
Dragon should be warded after ASAP in game or so and has 6 minutes respawn time after killed.
Baron should be warded after 15:00 in game or so and has 7 minutes respawn time.
When taking either of them, use at first your trinket or Vision Ward to check for enemy vision, then use Tormented Soil and autoattacks to help with boss and possibly have Dark Binding ready for anyone who would try to come and steal it.
MID LANEand SUPPORT
Morgana in teamfights should behave the same regardles on her role in team.
You try to hit any enemy carry with Dark Binding followed with Tormented Soil, Black Shield your engaging tank (unless he is Olaf again :D), or yourself or any other CC focused carry and hit as many enemies possible with Soul Shackles => Zhonya's Hourglass combo.
After your golden 2,5 seconds end, repeat Dark Binding => Tormented Soil combo into a nearest stunned carry and try to reposition so enemy team cannot kill you after stun goes off.
Remember that Zhonya's Hourglass makes you unable to move so be careful with it. If you want to stun as many enemy champions as possible, try to follow them at first and if they focus you, use Zhonya's Hourglass to punish them for doing so.
I personally think it is not so bad for a first guide and hope it is going to be any helpful for those who seek knowledge on how to play Morgana.
I would like to thank Searz again for the guide template that helped me understand coding a lot and Riot for making such a great champion I could write a guide for.
Feel free to comment in any language you want, but I will only answer those in English and Czech because I am a racist f**kabish ;).