Gangplank Build Guide by RealmriderX1
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Few words before You start with reading
Hey guys, in this section, i would like to thank to everyeone who supported my guide, and wish you all the best in 2012. Anyway, special thanks to Wrath of Wulk, Rys Aberdeen and Nerun for being awesome guys always willing to help you. Enjoy reading! :)
- Hello everybody and welcome to my 4th guide, this time featuring Gangplank, The Saltwater Scourge. As always, i wont bother you with lore, story etc. so i will immediately tell you whats expecting you in this guide.
I'm gonna explain you how to play Gangplank as a Jungler succesfully, present you da build, tips and tricks and some other basic stuff. Enjoy!
Ok, i am gonna start with the guide. 1st i'll explain Gangplank's purpose in team, how to use him correctly and etc. Gangplank is a AD Carry that unleashes tons of damage through doing massive critical damage. Well thats a most common way of playing him. On this guide, i will represent you Jungleplank!
Considering that junglers are roaming and they are somewhat squishy early game, i won't guide you to full AD Gp. I always play him offtank so 'think you should too.
- Great dealer
- Great jungler
- Easy to play
- Good carry
- Has no big drawbacks
- Mana hungry early game
- Being focused
- Bad ganker
My Rune setup is quite common for most junglers these days. Nothing much to say, i place greater mark of desolation on red slots for increased damage dealt to minions, mostly Golems and Lizards.
As Seals, i take Greater Seal of Armor for armour. This way i reduce the incoming damage by monsters in jungle and ganking targets on lanes.
I take Magic Resistance Glpyhs for reduced damage dealt to me by casting champions while i'm ganking a lane.
I took Greater Quintessence of Health for more survivability and for increased durability while in jungle. With this Rune setup, i stay in jungle without going back into base for about 13 minutes. Try to beat that by yourself.
My Masteries are 0-21-9.
21 points on defense for more and more durability, health, reduced damage from monsters and other stuff.
9 points on Utility for increased buff duration and regen.
I saw diffrent types of Rune/Mastery setup and i noticed that is possible to go 21-9-0 but this way you'll have to visit your base often. I saw players putting ArPen marks, Armour seals, Attack Speed Glyphs and ArPen Quints.
'Think that this may work well too but again, you will have to visit your base. Frequently. And thats bad, it means that you get XP slower and that the enemy jungler has a chance to steal your jungle! Thats bad too!
So what i recommend is that you go defensively because you will get enough offensivity stats late game.
Not a Joke: Utility Setup
Ok im serious, i saw players with utility setups like 9/0/21 and GP/5 Quints. But u know what? This sucks if its on me to decide! The only good thing on Utility setup is a Reduced Cooldown and some good regen bonuses. So yes, this isnt a bad idea. But dude Gp/5 runes? Do that on Janna and Taric. Runes remain same.
Gangplank has some sweet QWER skills, just fine for an AD Carry. One damaging skill, one defensive, one for teamfights. All you need :)
But im explaining the Jungleplank so i dont think that lane and jungle are the same conceptions.
Grog Soaked Blade. Gangplank's basic attacks apply a poison debuff for 3 seconds that can stack up to 3 times. Each stack deals 3 + (1 x level) magic damage per second and slows the target by 7%. Gangplank's personal Ignite! Awww yeaaaaah!
Parrley.Gangplank shoots a target enemy with his pistol, dealing physical damage. If it kills it, he gains extra gold. This ability can critically strike and applies on-hit effects, including his passive. Dude, i never saw a carry that can deal over 370 damage with one ability. But this, this is sweet! Plus your critical chance applies on it!
Remove Scurvey. Gangplank instantly removes all crowd control effects on him, as well as healing himself. Check this out.
(Passive): Gangplank's attack damage and movement speed are increased permanently.
(Active): Gangplank fires into the air, disabling his passive boost but inspiring himself to gain additional attack damage and movement speed, with nearby allied champions receiving half that amount, for 7 seconds. Uhh, the only purpose of this ability is the AoE buff i think. Nothing special.
Gangplank signals his ship to fire cannonballs upon target area for 7 seconds. 25 cannonballs will drop over the duration and each will deal magic damage to all enemies hit. Enemies in the area of this ability are slowed by 25% for 1.25 seconds with the duration refreshing if one stays in the area. Ouch, this is the most awesome thing for teamfights. And everything else. Just dont troll with using it -.-
I take Parrrley 1st for additional damage dealt to creeps, as well for lasthitting which instantly means bonus gold. I max this skill 2nd because i can do well even without maxing it 1st.
On lvl 2 i take Remove Scurvy for healing, this is the key skill when jungling with Gangplank. I max it 1st for the bigger heal and more sustaining.
I take Raise Morale on lvl 3/4 and i max it last. The diffrence of bonuses between leveling it up is small.
I max my ulti 3rd and take it on lvl 6. I dont see the better way of doing it. Do you?
Items: Core Build
Yay, my favourite part! Ok, i want to write and explain everything ASAP!
- Core Build
- Wriggle's Lantern This is a standard item for most junglers. It gives you 30 armour for more reduced damage, 23 AD which is enough, some Lifesteal and most important, an awesome passive that has a chance to deal a bonus 500MD to a neutral monster or enemy minion. Plus you have, nuff said, an infinite source of wards. When you get full build, sell this item and buy Phantom Dancer
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity Those may be replaced with berserker's greves but i still preffer those. You already get enough attack speed from Trinity Force so the only thing that is left are those, for reduced cooldown. 'Consider buyin' Boots of Mobility if you feel like a roamer.
- Frozen Mallet This is a nice item for Jungleplank because it:
- Gives additional health (700)
- 20 Attack Damage
- Passive that slows the enemy target on dealing physical damage
I buy this item because it applies on Parrrley so it means that when you cast Q you will have additional slow! Thats awesome! Plus you need some health to combine with Atma's Impaler.
- I buy Trinity Force on most offtanks nowdays. It gives me a small, nice amount of most stats plus the passive that will greatly combine with Parrrley. After casting it, you will deal about 420 damage, and plus 250 from Q(lets count in a critical of 450) which is about 950 damage in 2 seconds. Then cast again! Bam, another 920 damage. Why woudnt i like this awesome baby?
- Infinity Edge This item is a key for every AD carry. 80 Attack Damage = unforgivable, 25$ critical chance is nice too plus passive. Your crits will shread your targets like paper! Yaay!
- Atma's Impaler I take this as a standard final item. 45 Armour is awesome, so this is kinda defensive item. 18% Critical chance is good too. And the passive is unforgiving for most offtanks these days. Buy this item or dont play Jungleplank at all.
Items: Possible choices
On this section, i will add some additional stuff and possible items to buy depending of enemy team.
The Bloodthirster is a situational item to replace Wriggle's Lantern. Tho' i dont preffer it because i already have enough AD and Lifesteal, buy this if you like it only.
But that passive is lovely, when stacked...yummy
Banshee's Veil is a strong item against magic damage but is most valued for its abillity to prevent crowd control. As such it is highly recommended to build Banshee's Veil when you are being focused by crowd control effects, or when the enemy has initiation or pulling abillities like Enchanted Crystal Arrow or Pulverize. Buy this if the enemy team CC champs focus you mostly, instead of Wriggle's Lantern
Most Gangplanks buy this item. Well so do i, but only if i feel that im not powerfull enough, and i buy it instead of Wriggle's Lantern
Awesome bonuses indeed.
There are other viable choices like Warmog's Armor or Force of Nature or Thornmail but its obvious when to buy those. Guardian Angel is plaussible to buy as well.
Summoner Spells: Primar
This is a primary choice for most junglers. Nothing to say about it, its a must.
This spell is another one i found really good on Jungleplank, and when combining with other slowing stuff, only Master Yi can escape you. Or another Gangplank. Or something with Quicksilver Sash.
Summoner Spells: The Rest
This is a viable choice too, but i rarely take this because im already fast enough without it. I saw some player using it, but they did it like jerks and ******s. This spell is used for roaming, not for fleeing/catching
Wooow why not Flash?! Its awesomee!
Sure. Why should i take flash when i already have Remove Scurvy to escape CC effects, overwall isn't that common now considering that Flash was nerfed.
Its still a good spell but i still dont preffer it.
Other spells like Heal or Surge are just fine. Herpderp
- Jungleplank has good skills to succesfully jungle. Q for damaging, Remove Scurvy for healing and Raise Morale for a damage buff.
He is not a good ganker honestly, until level 6 but still you should gank constantly. I usually gank from places like inner bushes on both rivers and maybe places like places where is Urf's grave. Here is a map of ganking locations:
I marked the vital points of ganking here, with a blue dot.
How to Gank
- Ganking may be you a problem. Well after you buy Frozen Mallet i do it with ease. I jump out from a bush like a badass ninja assassin and i shoot my target with Parrrley for slow. Plus the additional slow from Mallet. Then i ask my offtank to CC my enemy with any of his skills.
And i keep spamming Q and autoattacking. Its good to ulti the location you wanna gank for ultramega slow. Tho' i dont do it often, just in seldom cases. ;)
Using Exhaust while ganking is a Ace-In-The-Hole.
It may be a waste but it may be a secured kill to. Use it if the enemy champ isnt close to your turret. Dont use it if he is. After the enemy champ spots you ganking him he will probably search for a way to juke you. Thats when you use it.
Jungling Route: Offensive
There are 2 possible Jungleplank routes. One is offensive and the 2nd one is defensive.
I preffer the offensive one because its faster, safer, and thus, makes you survive longer.
Here is the image of a offensive route:
I start at blue and i follow the "black line". Red spots are monstah' camps.
Jungle Route: Defensive
The other possible Jungleplank route is the defensive one. I take down small camps 1st and i proceed at blue~>red. The map looks like this:
The Blue Buff
This is the thing you want to take 1st. You need mana regeneration, GP is manahungry early game. In fact, his mana amount is really low so i saw guys buying Manamune.
But the best thing is that Cooldown reduction buff! OMG i love this! I have mana regen enough big to spam Parrrley every 2 seconds! Awwww yeaaaaaaaaaaah!
The Red Buff
Take this buff just before you are ganking someone for more and more slow! That will apply on your Parrrley. Which means more chance to do a succesfull gank!Yesss!
And tho' always ward the surrounding grass before attempting to take this. I often got trolled by Evelynn or Amumu. -.-
Farming the Jungle Safely and Succesfully
- There are a few things to know when farming da forest:
- Have wards in key locations
- Have an Oracle's Elixir if you have gold to spare
- ALWAYS lasthit with Parrrley to get bonus gold
- Dont forget to use Raise Morale before attempting to attack a monsta' camp
- Activate Remove Scurvy after and while raiding da camp
- Don't kill a monster when your puller or any kinda ally champ is near you(he will steal ur XP)
- If you dont lvl up while killing a camp and you should have leveled, care, someone is around.
An important task of every jungler and support as well is to carefully place wards all over the key places in jungle and offjungle (ex. inner top/bot bushes ETC).
I usually always happen to buy a few Sight Wards in my inventory, just to be sure where is enemy jungler going or when/who wants to gank the ally lane. There are few key locations where i always place green Wards.
- Enemy/Ally blue*
- Enemy/Ally red*
- Dragon's Cave*
- Nashor's Cave*
- Inner bush on mid(Next to Wraith Camp)- Both enemy and ally
- Bushes behind Wolves' Camp - Both enemy and ally
- Inner bushes on middle of mid*
- Bushes on Top/Bot where we all hide to gank*
- Crossroads on Nashor-->Blue and Dragon-->Blue*
- The bush close to Urf's Grave(Both ally and enemy)
- Mini Golem
Ok, i think thats it. You dont have to ward all of those, but remember:
" - Buy a ward, save a life "
Well my good plankmates, i hope you found this ultraindepth guide useful. Leave me a comment and rate it how u think u should. Pz
-Thats the Quadrakill game ;)
-Thats the other game with FULL build i represented, i played by using this guide, and i scored a quadrakill.