Sejuani Build Guide by Chrispykreem
Mastery Tree Is Outdated
WARNING: These masteries are still using the old tree and have not been updated to the new tree by the guide author. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
I think the most important thing to do is thank all of the people who have compiled incredible and useful information and allow it to be used by the Mobafire community. This gives everyone the resources necessary to create better guides.
For this guide I would specifically like to thank:
JhoiJhoi and her Making a Guide guide.
Hahano and his Jungle Guide.
Rezpite for the first Sejuani Guide that I played with, as it indeterminably had an impact on how I play Sejuani.
Thank you to all those who read, share their thoughts, and learn something from this guide too.
An Introduction to Sejuani
Sejuani is a beast. Sejuani also rides a beast. Ergo, you WILL win playing her.
All jokes aside, Sejuani is an incredible tank. She gets very beefy, and can chase/harass/slow the enemy team to death.
This guide will focus on developing the proper mindset, strategies, and items necessary to perform your role as tank, initiator, jungler, and core team player.
Important note: The short guide up top is not the end all be all of the guide. It's just for reference. Item build and skill sequence can and will vary based on enemy team composition, as well as your own team composition. These issues are addressed further in the guide.
- Great at ganks
- Very tanky champion
- Great slows
- Incredible ultimate
- Not a high damage tank
- Tough early game sustain
- Can be counter-jungled easily
- I've heard much better /j's
Runes and Masteries
Greater Seal of Scaling Health
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Scaling Health
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
The only real difference in masteries is moving the point from improving smite in the defense tree to the armor debuff for towers. Otherwise things are the same.
- Magic penetration helps Sejuani's abilities do a little more damage early on.
- Magic resist gives you some help early on as your armor items generally come first.
- Health per level seals and quints to add to your overall beefiness.
Note: If you're having issues with solo queue teams and want to increase your CDR while playing Sejuani, I recommend Greater Quintessence of Cooldown Reduction for flat CDR. If you make sure you are getting blue consistently and combine this with the alternate item build that includes Shurelya's Reverie you should be okay.
I think that Flash is one of the best summoner spells you can use. It is useful for initiation, chasing, or fleeing. You can replace this with Ghost if it suits your playstyle more.
You can replace Teleport with Exhaust, Ignite, Ghost, or Heal depending on your playstyle.
I prefer teleport in a laning situation because you're able to help anyone sent back early game, throw down an early gank with your jungler in a different lane, or return to the lane quickly to generate more gold/exp. This is definitely more of a personal preference spell where I feel having one movement summoner spell like Ghost or Flash is a must.
Sejuani's Abilities + Useful Information
Frost: This is your passive. It gives a 10% movement speed slow. It works well with your Northern Winds and Permafrost and is applied by Arctic Assault. It's also useful with Randuin's Omen and Frozen Mallet
Q - Arctic Assault: This ability is fantastic because it applies [Frost]. This lets your [Permafrost] trigger and gives your Northern Winds more damage. It's more useful to level this over Northern Winds when you are in the lane. You'll have shorter cooldowns allowing you to initiate and chase better.
W - Northern Winds: This ability does a good amount of AoE damage, especially if you build your HP high. With my build, your HP is at 5000+ which gives you 144+ damage per second, +35 if you add in Sunfire Cape
E - Permafrost: This ability is your bread and butter. It does good damage and gives a 70% movement slow at max rank. You want to use this to slow enemies and let your team destroy the weaker carry enemy heroes that you face.
R - Glacial Prison: This is your Ultimate. It does a good amount of damage and is an incredible hold if you use it when your enemies are grouping up. It can do serious damage and it makes Sejuani a force to be reckoned with.
The ability sequence for the jungle is more important than the lane. In the jungle you want Northern Winds early on in order to do damage to the minion camps as they are all multi-minion camps. Arctic Assault helps you save time on your jungle as you're able to dash into minion camps. It applies Frost which then allows you do to some extra damage with Permafrost.
An important strategy to make note of is to charge in with Arctic Assault, use Northern Winds, wait until the 3 second duration of Frost that is applied is about to run out, and then use Permafrost to refresh that 3 second duration of frost on all of your targets as Northern Winds has a 50% damage increase while targets are under the effects of frost or permafrost.
My Recommendation For The Jungle
I recommend that you play Sejuani in the jungle when you queue with friends. Her early game sustainability is not good in the jungle. Assistance with wolves, and a good leash at blue will make all the difference. With that done, you can hit level 3 with ease and no longer have a problem until your blue buff runs out. If you are able to rely on someone for that when you solo queue, more power to you.
This is required knowledge for jungle Sejuani.
My recommendations support the information found there:
- Do not counter jungle.
- Do perform ganks.
- Run away if you are counter-jungled and have no health.
If you can have someone leash blue for you, jungle in this order:
- Leashed Blue (use Smite)
- See if you can GANK the nearby lane or mid
- Red (use Smite)
- Golems (GANK)
- Wraiths (Beacon)
Otherwise jungle this way:
- Golems (use Smite)
- See if you can GANK
- Blue (use Smite)
- Red Buff (use Smite)
Always see if you can gank, and always ask if your team needs help anywhere. Remember that you can't gank lanes that are pushed too far, so make sure your team knows that too!
My Recommendation For The Lane
If you go with the laning short guide up top for Sejuani because someone took the jungle, I recommend a few things.
- Please, assist your lane partner.
- Do not solo top as you don't have the damage output.
- Respect your ability to charge in and slow.
Outside of these two differences, I recommend that you build Sejuani the same. Your focus is health and resistances based on the enemy team. Taking this into account, my recommendation to face a balanced team is what's listed on the short guide. One note is you will build a for the early game sustain, but will likely sell it later on for other items.
- You will be focused. These boots offer tenacity, to lower the duration of CC (Crowd Control) on you, which does not stack with other tenacity items.
- Frozen Mallet also gives you health, but gives you an invaluable slow as well. It's great for initiating on that Ziggs or that Lux who over extends and don't think you'll Arctic Assault right into their faces.
- Warmog's armor is a beast for Health and Health regen. No brainer here if you want a beefy Sejuani.
- Here we get the best of everything we're looking for. You get an activated movement and attack speed slow. You get health, armor, health regen, and CDR.
- Magic resistance galore, health regen, movement speed increase. This is a great initiating, AP-resisting, health regenerating item.
- This will give you armor, magic resistance, and that lovely ability to return from the grave as zombie Sejuani. Great item.
Alternate item situations
Are you facing a highly mobile team? Are you finding yourself unable to spam abilities the way you want to?
Keep that Philosopher's Stone and build it into a Shurelya's Reverie. You will gain a great movement speed activate, which you can use defensively to escape or offensively to initiate or chase. You also get CDR which will help you use more abilities in a team fight.
Are you up against all AD (Attack Damage) champions? Forget about the Force of Nature and build one of these in its place.
- Sunfire Cape - If you need more resistance and more health, want to do a little more damage, and they don't really have many auto-attackers, this is the way to go.
- Thornmail - If you are facing auto-attackers, get thornmail to reflect 30% of their AD back at them.
- Warmog's Armor - If you are doing fine and just want to increase your overall heft, get a second warmog's if you can afford it. They will see your health bar and cry as it's passive is NOT unique.
- Zhonya's Hourglass - You get armor, 100 AP (which benefits Arctic Assault Permafrost Glacial Prison), and an activate which will stop you from taking any damage for 2 seconds. That's great if you're being focused. If you want a little more damage and more survivability this is a great item.
Are you up against a lot of AP (Ability Power) champions? Do they do AoE (Area of Effect) damage or do they do single target damage? Ditch the Randuin's Omen and get one of these instead.
- Banshee's Veil - If they are single-target nukers, get a banshee's veil. The passive is awesome, it gives you more health and more mRes.
- Abyssal Scepter - While this isn't a hybrid AP/off-tank Sejuani guide and I may write one in the future, I think this is a great item for those AoE ability power teams. You get a high amount of mRes, and you are able to give it to your teammates in an aura. The extra damage on [glacial prison] is nice too.
I'd like to hear what you want done with this guide.
Do you want any of these things?
- A F.A.Q. page (assuming you ask questions)
- Strategies when facing certain heroes
- A list of relevant patch information
- A more in depth early, mid, late game strategy section
- Graphs on relevant Sejuani information, like increases in Armor from level 1-18?
Please leave comments, suggestions, and thoughts. Thanks for reading!
Sejuani - Winter is here... - Jungle guide to success!
S e j u a n i ❄ A Song of Ice and Fire
Sejuani, The Winter's Wrath: An IN-DEPTH Champion Guide
Liandry's Boarment - rework update!