Kennen Build Guide by Evetroll
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello, this is a recreation of an old guide which was here on Mobafire and is now expired.
I have recreated this because the old guide is still very useful and works great.
Kennen: The Heart of the Tempest
Kennen is fun as hell to play, and once you learn him, he definitely can tear up some people.
Like every other champion, there are a few ways you can build them, I personally like building my Kennen as AP. There are a few things that I do that i believe set me apart from a few other Kennens, and I like to think it's what puts me ahead of the other players.
Pros / Cons
+ Very Good Harasser
+ Very good at in and out damage
+ Carry (even though Riot doesn't mention it)
+ AoE Stuns
- Squishy and can be killed easily
- Can be CC'd easily
- They will start focusing you after they see the damage you do.
- Runs out of energy really quickly in team fights
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
- Kennen needs all the survivability he can get
- The ability power per level will also grant you a-lot more benefit then straight Ability Power (past level 5). Just helping him put out alot more damage, The only other blue rune i could see being decent is CDR, but it seems like a waste to me.
- I've Tried Flat health, CDR, Magic Pen and Flat ability power Quints. I feel that 3 of these bad boys are AWESOME for early game, gives you that flat 15~AP that will help immensely for getting first blood. If you dont have the Flat Ability Power quints, your second best bet would be Magic Pen.
Any 2 of these summoner spells will work great for
- Ignite is always nice for the extra damage and the 50% healing reduction, also a good pick
- Flash is a overall good spell, but it is very situational. It will save your life if you are close to a wall and can blink over it, but if your in a lane, Ghost will be better if you know what your doing
- Ghost, what can I say, its an amazing summoner spell, Use for any situation, Running away from a gank, chasing, getting out of tower range
- Amazing for Kennen, He doesn't have much (if any) survivability so being able to get out of those stuns or cc's can be HUGE for Kennen
: The magic pen. really helps
: The spell vamp. is great for regenerating health in team fights
: A nice health boost to give that extra bit of survivability. The unique passive gives a nice slow for the abilities
: A huge ammount of ap increases kennens damage
- : Can be replace with depending on how your game is going.
Skill Sequencefirst, others will max out first, so you ask, which is better? Well, in my eyes.. Neither! Yes, both of them are very good abilities and both have their very strong uses, But i believe its best to level both up at a pretty steady rate. Think of it this way, no one is perfect, no one will hit 100% of the time with .
I find by level 7, if you have level 3 , level 2 , Level 1 and your ult, people WILL die, because you have a steady amount of damage from every ability rather than a 300 damage ability and 2 70 damage abilities. It sounds strange, and you won't see many Kennens doing it, all I have to say is; TRY IT before you bash it.
I get at level 2 because i often get ganked at that point and this helps me escape easily.
Remember, all fights start/end differently so dont do this every time, but it is a good starting point if your not sure of how to play kennen.
Harass with till they're at about 3/4 to 1/2 health. When you see them overextend for a split second you will want to into them. Try and get a little bit behind them if possible, so you can get an extra 1 or 2 auto attacks off. Use by now they should have 2 or 3 marks of the storm on them. Despite what people say and you may think, right now is the BEST time to use your Ult . Throw another at them (it should be off cool-down by now), rinse and repeat.
Open up with an , try and run through all the enemies so they all get marks of the storm. Use an to get your 2nd mark on them, and do some very strong damage. Throw one then Blow your Ult and start using your abilities as the Cool-downs are up. Depending on how many people you hit with your ult/AoE abilities, they should be dying by now, Kennen is AMAZING for team fights, so when you learn to maximize him in team fight situations, you will make the enemies fear kennen! :) Don't forget you will not be able to tank the whole enemy team so NEVER run in first.
Things to check before a fight
1. How much energy do you have?
2. Is your next auto attack going to apply a Mark of the Storm?
3. How many Marks of the Storm does your target currently have on them?
These 3 things are really going to indicate if you can get a kill or not, if you start a fight with 70 energy, you wont kill anyone because your auto attack isn't THAT strong. I have noticed that a lot of people dont see the power of your *Next* auto attack applying mark of the storm. It's an extra 30-80 damage, and your already 1/3 of the way to a stun! You should always try and initiate when your next attack will add a mark of the storm.
1. Harass harass harass, I can't say it enough. Kennen is Godlike at it, so why not utilize his key use.
2. You are not a tank. Don't go in first or you will suffer the consequences.
3. Be there for every team fight, you can be a huge TF changer.
4. Remember your Role, Kennen is there to Stun, lock down, interrupt, and pick kids off.
5. Look out for people with nasty AoE ability, and make them worthless (nunu's ult, kat's ult, Sona's Auras, etc.)
Kennen can be VERY nasty if played correctly, give it time, you wont go 22-0 your first game, learn his abilities, remember to harass (have I said that enough?), and make them suffer for over-extending, and you will be making the team rage like never before!
If you have any questions or concerns, please post them here, and leave any tips you got for me.
Thanks for reading!