Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

who is the best support right now?

Creator: CluelessMagic January 2, 2016 6:25am
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 3, 2016 8:17am | Report
There is no ‘best’ support, but the top four is probably Tahm Kench, Soraka, Alistar, and Thresh. Other good supports are Bard, Nami, Sona, Janna, and Leona. Would not advise to play anything else unless you know what you are doing, but considering the title of this thread, I would not say that is the case.

Top-4 includes Trundle atm
TheSilverDust
<Member>
TheSilverDust's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 3, 2016 8:27am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

There is no ‘best’ support, but the top four is probably Tahm Kench, Soraka, Alistar, and Thresh. Other good supports are Bard, Nami, Sona, Janna, and Leona. Would not advise to play anything else unless you know what you are doing, but considering the title of this thread, I would not say that is the case.

I just observed that most of those top five (including Trundle) are mostly tank supports (except Soraka), I just want to know why these became famous.
Sig made by me!
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 3, 2016 9:06am | Report
I think part of it is the fact that tank supports just use the extra gold better and a lot of good tank items are around these days, but that's just a guess on my part. Utility supports don't need much gold to do their job – that's how most of them were designed – because in previous seasons that was a good trait to have due to how little gold supports were getting. Now it just means those supports have gold their kits weren't designed to need.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 3, 2016 10:21am | Report
I think part of it is the fact that tank supports just use the extra gold better and a lot of good tank items are around these days, but that's just a guess on my part. Utility supports don't need much gold to do their job – that's how most of them were designed – because in previous seasons that was a good trait to have due to how little gold supports were getting. Now it just means those supports have gold their kits weren't designed to need.

I think that's so relative still. The pre-nerf predominance of Brand support fights this notion. I think the main reason actually is because armor is still the best defense stat atm due to armor pen being in a pretty meh state. However, aggressive mage "supports" can still use gold really well to basically forgo some supportive items and deal massive AoE damage (Zyra, Brand, Morgana not so much but still, Vel'Koz). Unfortunately, appart from Morgana (and Zyra..ish) these supports pretty much need to snowball.

I do agree that utility supports are in the worst state between the "I can go full ap" supports and the full tanks in terms of item scalling flat. However, this is probably the reason why you see diamond + players rushing splitpush on these, starting with Banner of Command for more extra gold, and then ZZ'Rot, creating pressure in two lanes at once.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 3, 2016 12:48pm | Report
I was only referring to utility supports there. Stuff like Vel and Karma suffer from other issues.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 3, 2016 1:36pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:

I put that under the “... unless you know what you are doing”—category, because it does require intrinsic game knowledge of why it is good. Additionally, I do not see that trend lasting very long; Riot has a habit of killing things like this before they get much screen time.

I just observed that most of those top five (including Trundle) are mostly tank supports (except Soraka), I just want to know why these became famous.

Supports can, unlike during earlier seasons (one & two mostly), actually accumulate a significant amount of gold during the game. Additionally, they can only put so many wards down at a given time, so they are essentially forced to spend it on items. Pure utility supports were the original supports because they did not need items to function; a Janna with no items can do the same things a Janna with six items can do – don't you dare to bring up the scaling on say, W – so, regardless of what you buy, your champion won't really improve in terms of effectiveness. Now take a look at the other “supports” – call me a pretentious **** all you want, I don't think the support role is very support-y any more –, there's either the mages or the tanks; mages scale great with ability power and tanks utilise defensive stats well because they end up being the front line, soak damage, and usually have quite a bit of crowd control which they can keep using due to them being able to stay alive for so much longer. Add to this that the items which grant defensive stats usually come with more utility ( Randuin's Omen, Turbo Chemtank, Frozen Heart) and the fact that defensive stats became far more powerful since the preseason patch (see Last Whisper and Void Staff changes, as well as the death of Blade of the Ruined King) and you have your answer.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2016 1:59am | Report
Tank meta -> tank supports
Weak armorpen -> easier for supports to tank
Lots of AD champs -> oh wait
He is gonna kill you!!!
UnstoppableBacon
<Member>
UnstoppableBacon's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 6, 2016 3:32pm | Report
Play Tahm to win games. Annie can be sneaky good as she likes to melt tanks and Tibbers scares people (mostly me but whatever).
bogis15
<Member>
bogis15's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 14, 2016 12:17am | Report

I don't think the support role is very support-y any more –, there's either the mages or the tanks; mages scale great with ability power and tanks utilize defensive stats well because they end up being the front line, soak damage, and usually have quite a bit of crowd control which they can keep using due to them being able to stay alive for so much longer. Add to this that the items which grant defensive stats usually come with more utility ( Randuin's Omen, Turbo Chemtank, Frozen Heart) and the fact that defensive stats became far more powerful since the preseason patch (see Last Whisper and Void Staff changes, as well as the death of Blade of the Ruined King) and you have your answer.

I agree with this!

I personally really enjoy playing mage champions, Morgana is my support of choice. I'm sure, as many have stated, there are "better" support champions out there but if you work well in 2v1, 2v2s in lane and even team fights later in games you would be crazy not to like her Dark Binding ability. She is versatile enough if you find yourself alone in lane to be able to freeze the lane and possibly even pick up a kill or two if the enemy chooses to over-extend.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2016 1:49pm | Report
Not the best support right now but he has a lot of potential:

What Nasus as support offers:

Great usage of Spellthief's Edge, Frost Queen's Claim and Thunderlord's Decree to poke his opponents out of lane with his very spamable Spirit Fire.

Wither, nuff said, no ADc likes to play against that. Because of that spell only he got played jungle once, so don't underestimate it.

Spirit Fire reduces the armor of targets inside it, this allows your ADC to deal more damage and works great in combination with burst ADC's like Graves.

A giant meat shield with Fury of the Sands. Increased size and more tankyness allows him to block projectiles and the percentage damage on it lets every enemy suffer which comes close to you or your carry. You also become very tanky with items like Ruby Sightstone(3. highest HP in the game on an item!!!), Zeke's Harbinger and Banner of Command/ Locket of the Iron Solari.

Strong waveclear even without a lot of AP, making stalling out for lategame carries also a viable strategy, while he can dominate the earlygame.

Obviously, damage against champions falls of lategame, but he still has Wither and the Armor shredd for utility. He also, similar to Brand, most of the time ends up as the top or second top damage dealer of his team.

All in all Nasus support is basically a more utility-focused version of Brand instead of damage focused. His advantage is also that he can't miss his damage spell like Brand. Of course, don't pick him against sustain lanes, but otherwise, he should be a strong pick, especially because of the potential to chain CC an enemy with Frost Queen's Claim -> Wither.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide