Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Why are you stuck in "Elo Hell"?

Creator: Justos February 16, 2013 4:00pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Fealow
<Member>
Fealow's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2013 10:50pm | Report
DillButt64 wrote:

i wouldnt agree with that analogy simply because the player base is so big the chances of meeting the same person twice is low, in lower Elo's (im aware that in high Elos you play against the same people multiple times since less are up there) so when you win a game with 4 bad people they go up but then they get matched with other people and they will either lose or win, same with you, and once they get to the higher Elos the actual good players will weed them out back to where they belong

Out of all the points I made you chose the one that has the least significance (if any at all) to the greater picture I was trying to paint in order for you to refute my claim/statement/analogy. Not to mention that what you just explained is already implied in my post, but does not have a negative impact on my claim. How does "you don't meet the same person twice" have any significant impact on "You just carried 40 people to where they don't belong". What I meant by meeting the same people twice is that by carrying them you increase there chances of moving up to the same division as you. The chance being small or not is irrelevant.

The ratio of good players being were they don't belong to bad players being where they don't belong could be speculated as 1:4 as time and time again people state that the one good player should carry the team. With that in mind there will always be people who don't belong, be it the minimal end of the equation or the max. The number of bad players who don not belong will always outweigh the number of good, even if you go higher and higher the number just gets thinner not smaller (Diamond and challenger are pretty much exempt from this for obvious reasons.) No matter how you look at it, one person carrying a team will always have a negative impact because 1 person climbing up to where they should be will always bring up players who should not be.

In any match up there is most likely one good player that can carry the game for their team which means every game there is a high chance that 4 players will be carried to a place they don't belong. I'm not tying to make a case for elo hell existing or otherwise, I'm putting things into perspective for all sides of the argument while addressing each sides issues and coming to a conclusion on each one from an outside perspective without bias.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 21, 2013 11:35pm | Report
but that theory only works after one game, in the long run of things the bad players will get pushed back down because of the other good players beating them

and very rarely is it "one good player and four bad players" in most cases its only one or two people ruining the game

now think of it like this, there are 10 players in the game, one being you (the good player) and the other 9 being bad (the extra five are from the other team assumed to be bad since you beat them) now there are 4 bad people rising and 5 bad people going down, so in the long run there will be less bad people up top than you think there will
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Xiaowiriamu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2013 3:32am | Report
ACtually duo with someone considerably lower gives you the same gains in LP. My friends are exploiting this so far, hasn't realy worked for me since i can't carry hard enough, but check out players Baxra and Neckss, they're like 2 divisions in difference but they still gain between 20~30LP a game each, its not like one is going 15 LP and the other 25LP. They're gaining exactly the same 99% of the time.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2013 4:30am | Report
What Xiaowiriamu and Fealow said for the most part.

That Elo isn't something you can use OUTSIDE die-hard premade teams (SoloQ etc) without causing some greater problems is what I always said.

And that this "Duo" thing in SoloQ is like abusing the system...

And ofc there are ppl who represent the skill level in each tier (Bronze, Silver, Gold) there simply has to be!
(Btw I'm skipping out on Platinium and Diamond, because the bad ones are really thinning out there down to an "OK" level)

But the influence of bad players being in the wrong tier is so damn huge already in those 3, that the chances are good for you to get a player not beloning in the respective tier, but below (below bronze is wood).

And thus the whole tier becomes corrupted in general.

What does "Gold ranking" means to you if more than 1/3 carrying this title without being able to earn it themselves?
Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2013 8:02am | Report
@ Xiao I guess that's for you but when I was duoing with a friend at the start of S3, I was G1 and He was G5. I was gaining like 30~/win and he was only getting 15~/win so mayby the system thinks your friends deserves higher and mayby they'll come to a point where one significantly gains more than the other or my particular instance was just special.

Also to address what Darcurse said to me like a page or two ago. I looked you up on lolking and all I'm gonna say is at least be bronze ranked to say what you're saying. It's hard to argue about solo queue when one guy dosen't even play it. So PLEASE don't call out all the bronze/silver/gold players if you don't play it because it really seems bad manner of you. It's like me complaining about dominion players when I don't even play dominion. Is that fair? no lol
IAmByakuya
<Member>
IAmByakuya's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2013 10:37am | Report
Well i just got promoted with 6 win streak :P

THERES HOPE
Gave you a good laugh or helped? rep+ so i can know ;)

Thanks to TinyStar, Jhoi, Xiaowi, Virus, Bard and Arcana(eww)...for my signatures!

Elohell is like Irelia's stun: if your real level is equal or lower than the level you are in, you're STUNNED there forever. If your actual level is higher than the level you are in, you're just SLOWED in your way up.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2013 1:13pm | Report
Xiao, that's because 2 divisions is only a few games of Elo difference. You can have someone in Gold II be lower MMR than someone in Gold IV depending on their w/l and games played.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2013 1:37pm | Report
@Xaioli

Right back at cha'.

I mean how could anyone who's only duo'ing say that duo'ing is totally fair? (Bionic or whoever it was).

And how could someone who rushed to top tier know what it means when somebody truly says that he gets dragged down by bad players within lower tiers?

Lemme guess: You were one of those who got top rather fast without any complications?
Fancy telling us if your Platinum ranking was made in SoloQ? (I don't know, so yeah that's a serious question)
And if you DID rank in SoloQ, how much of it did you earn with a partner?
Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2013 2:17pm | Report
Alright Darcurse, I'll bite.

Darcurse wrote:

@Xaioli

Right back at cha'.

I mean how could anyone who's only duo'ing say that duo'ing is totally fair? (Bionic or whoever it was).

And how could someone who rushed to top tier know what it means when somebody truly says that he gets dragged down by bad players within lower tiers?

I have three accounts, Xaioli, Rice Hugger and Katamari. I've raised all of them to plat/gold I /II. It's not really impressive, but it is what it is. When I recieved Rice Hugger from a friend who quit, it was like 1k elo. I've also played this game for like 3-4 years. I know what the "dark things" players in this game can do.
Darcurse wrote:

Lemme guess: You were one of those who got top rather fast without any complications?

I wanted to climb and improve through solo queue so.. yes?

Darcurse wrote:

Fancy telling us if your Platinum ranking was made in SoloQ? (I don't know, so yeah that's a serious question)

Yeah my platinum is in solo queue.
Darcurse wrote:

And if you DID rank in SoloQ, how much of it did you earn with a partner?

I barely ever duo queue with a friend. If you want number wise, mayby 60elo(4-5wins).

samgoeslol
<Member>
samgoeslol's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2013 3:49pm | Report
same for me. i soloQ mainly and made it to plat 3 (still trying for dia)
got stuck in gold 1-2 for a while but np carrying myself outta there after a bunch of games. Similar stuff for my smurfs. Below 16-1700 people just cant keep me down in mid/toplane and i WILL impact all 3 lanes + jungle significantly leading to a pretty high winrate and even several 4v5 wins.

and please dont come with the you havent been rly low **** because i have i started at bronze in s1 and carried myself step by step up over 3 seasons. S2 i boosted a friend from 1k to 1500 with no trouble at all. (had 2 more smurfs i did that on)

i feel like mid 1500s can be really tricky if you duoqueue because your mmr just gets ramped up so far.

Im a soloqueueplayer all the way and its been working (ofc there have been swings)

greez straw
<-summonername on EUW: strawhatbro
check out my blog
+rep if you like my posts^^
watch my stream
follow me on twitter and facebook
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide