Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Your Pet Peeves Regarding Guide Writing

Creator: Jebus McAzn May 3, 2011 8:42pm
Riggsinator
<Member>
Riggsinator's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 5, 2011 3:42pm | Report
Step 1: Make Smurf Account
Step 2: Own with a stupid build
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit! (picture in guide)

I know it was said already..
"Thats a paddlin'"
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 5, 2011 4:12pm | Report
I disagree with Canoas and Searz. Practice obviously makes perfect, but it takes time to discover and refine techniques. Why not observe or read about techniques that can help you out and then practice them in game, instead of struggling along to learn them the hard way?

There's no harm to having an in-depth guide. You can skip parts you don't want to read, but the info is always there to access.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 6, 2011 5:03pm | Report
Some guides seriously try to tell you how to wipe your ***..
That level of dept is not something I like.
"You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated." - Mike Rogers, U.S. Representative for Michigan's 8th congressional district, 2013
I.e: Mike Rogers doesn't think it's rape unless the victim knows (s)he has been raped. Sounds legit.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2011 1:30am | Report
I dislike guides that don't have much colour or images.

I dislike guides that are outdated (with screenshots of Season One Victory Screens, items that no longer exist, incorrect item build paths {for example, Meki Pendant > philosopher's stone} and very incorrect information { Malady gives life steal} and yet, despite all this, they are still in the top five. I came across a Sona guide today. I believe it's third. It recommended buying Innervating Locket and Zhonya's Ring. A comment posted a few days ago said, "Can anyone tell me where to find Innervating Locket and Zhonya's Ring in the item shop?"

I like seeing guides that are in-depth and explain abilities well (for instance, I didn't know Irelia could life steal from towers. Master Yi gains 100 Armour and Magic Resist using his heal o.O).

I like seeing guide builders replying to the comments and changing their builds to reflect feedback.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Tauricus2017 ♡
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2011 1:36am | Report
Giant blocks of colored/non-colored text.
Hell giant blocks of text longer than 3 lines or so just irk me.
True love is found only in yourself.
TheWorldAsunder
<Member>
TheWorldAsunder's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2011 2:43am | Report
Searz wrote:

Players below lvl30 making guides. You don't know **** about the game, stop making guides..

Can't agree.

Coming in from DoTA, this game was pretty damn easy to learn. While I still don't know EVERYTHING there is to know, I'm not bad at all, and I don't think I've improved so much that it significantly impacts any guide I may make since like mid 20s.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2011 3:44am | Report
That's assuming they haven't played other MOBAs. But still; getting to level30 significantly improves the chances of that person knowing more about the game mechanics and items in general.
"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." - Albert Bandura

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our futures." - Edward Snowden
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2011 4:00am | Report
Searz wrote:
That's assuming they haven't played other MOBAs. But still; getting to level30 significantly improves the chances of that person knowing more about the game mechanics and items in general.

My fifth ranked game team leader passed banning rights to the enemy team, chose Malphite with Heal, and banned Eve. Second pick chose Heim with Heal. Third chose Tryndamere who was asked to jungle by Malphite. Tryndamere died to blue buff, and died again to wolves after.

Just because you are level 30, does not mean you know more than someone of a lower level.

Another prime example. A friend of mine was Amumu in a ranked game. Started at blue, asked Akali to "leash" it for him. Akali then proceeded to help Amumu kill blue, and even took the two little minions before returning back to top lane. o.O

Recently I've seen a level 30 who had 79 wins.

=.=
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2011 4:08am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Just because you are level 30, does not mean you know more than someone of a lower level.

No, but it significantly increases the chances of that person know more a decent amount about the game.

Ranked games are so bad for you because you're playing your first 10 matches. They're placement matches and you can pretty much expect to play with and against noobs all the time. After you get placed players are gonna be better.
"Gold can't buy you rape." - Mr Sark
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 7, 2011 9:42am | Report
I wrote the bulk of my Amumu guide pre-level 30.

Since then, I've made a lot of major changes - I learned how to do a blue-buff independent jungle run, I learned that Aegis is more important of an earlier objective than Sunfire, I learned the significance of wards.

I really do have to agree with Searz in that you DO learn a lot more by getting to level 30 and playing ranked - HOWEVER, this does not necessarily mean that pre-30 players should NOT be making guides.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide