Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Community Spotlight - Joxuu

Creator: Mowen July 9, 2014 2:52pm
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2014 2:52pm | Report

Today we have another Mobafire Community Spotlight, but with a small twist! This time our focus will be on one particular guide author who managed to get their guides scouted by the most renown Mobafire members. Introducing Joxuu, a high Elo player who so far has written 4 scouted guides! We will, just like usually, ask him a few questions about his experience with League and Mobafire, but we'll also ask him a few questions about guide writing and his ranked journey. Enjoy!

1. Could you quickly introduce yourself for the people who aren't as familiar with you?

Hello. My name is Joxuu and I am of Diamond elo at EUW server, currently maining bottom lane. I'm also a guide writer and a scout here at Mobafire. I come from the country of Finland and to be more specific, from the western part of Finland.

I'm 18 years old and I'm in my third year of upper secondary school. I have also taken a small sneak peek into IT techs on the side. No future plans really, so I guess I'm just a normal confused student who has no idea what to do with the next few years.

When you first meet me, I may leave an impression of being few-worded and boring (well I am a Finn after all) but I'm quite talkative and humoristic once you get to know me more.

2. What originally got you into playing League of Legends?

I read lots of discussions about this promising game called "League of Legends". I followed forums and topics really closely until I finally downloaded the game. I played the tutorial level and my client crashed at the ending screen, so I sort of quit playing instantly.

A few months later my friends started to pick the game up and literally forced me into playing and so I did. I quickly got interested and I started playing whenever my friends called me for a game or two. Soon my daily two games turned into three or four and there's how it started.

3. Are there any other games you enjoy playing and do you have other hobbies?

I don't play that many games. I rarely pick any new games up if they require hours and hours of gameplay. I do like games like Osu! and Hearthstone which are easy to pause and return to later. I guess I could add old legend Counter-Strike 1.6 here. I don't like shooting games but I've had CS 1.6 for ~10 years and I'm still playing it.

Hobbies... Oh gjeez. I've tried lots of different hobbies like rock climbing, floorball, tennis but the only hobby I really enjoyed and managed to keep up was football. I had played football for 8 years until my team quit just this year. I still consider football as my hobby though as I play it with few friends in my free time.

4. When did you join Mobafire and in what ways has it helped you to grow as a player?

I've been lurking around Mobafire since 2011, but I officially joined a year later as I just never finished my account creation for some reason. I believe I first heard about Mobafire when I was in-game where someone didn't like my Cho'Gath build. Back then I always got Guardian Angel first. I got told to go have a look at some builds on Mobafire.

Mobafire greatly helped me when I was just starting the game as I was really off with my builds and skilling order. Mobafire taught me the basics and better guides gave me advice on gameplay too. Even now I still do find facts I would have never known without Mobafire.

5. What do you enjoy most about Mobafire?

The community itself. It did take quite some time for me to feel as part of the community, as originally I just visited for the guides until I started to find myself visiting Mobafire more often and often. I then realized I was coming back because the people here were so amazing.

6. Is there something you'd like to see improved about Mobafire?

Not really now that I think of it. As a guide writer, I'd probably like to see changes in the current guide rating/voting system as some "not so viable" guides come up higher than they should. This is due to the current system promoting recent voting activity over the actual rating.

7. How did you start off ranked and how did your initial placement matches go?

I started ranked quite slowly in Season 2. I can't remember my initial placements but I did decently. I think I was placed around 1260 ELO. I mained top lane at the time and I pretty much only played bruisers like Darius, Cho'Gath and Yorick. I finished my first season in high gold with maybe 40 games.

8. You're high Elo now, what do you think was the most important thing you had to do in order to improve?

Positioning and placing myself in opponents place. I guess a small explanation makes it easier to understand. I often ended up dying a lot or getting caught in my games, especially in lane. I decided that I needed to work on that, so I set myself a goal of 0 deaths in the laning phase. Within time I improved.

Equally important was understanding the opponent. I started learning the most crucial cooldowns like Blitzcrank's Rocket Grab and before I knew it, I could predict when the next grab would come. I would also think, "Where would I shoot my next Rocket Grab if I was Blitzcrank?" so I could possibly dodge it.

9. Which champion do you feel is underrated right now and why?

Obvious mention would be Teemo but if I think of other underrated champions... I think the most underrated champion currently is Poppy. Poppy has a hard time fitting in the meta or in team compositions. Her mana costs are also pretty ridiculous but a good Poppy player can turn a team fight around with immense burst and immortality from ultimate. Problem is getting to that point and most of the Poppy's out there have a hard time doing that. Other than Teemo or Poppy, one that comes to mind is Heimerdinger.

10. Do you have any unconventional picks you enjoy playing or you'd love to play in high Elo once?

I think my Yorick pick is quite unconventional. I'd like to pick him up again for ranked. I actually have played him a few times in this season. I'm looking forward for the Yorick rework as I like the champion a lot.

11. Before we head into the final part of this interview, do you have any streamers you specifically like or would recommend any player?

I don't really watch any streams or streamers. Lately I've tuned in for Imaqtpie's stream if I'm bored as I find the stream entertaining and it's fun to see what crazy plays he comes up with.

12. Why did you originally start writing guides and what did your first guide look like?

I have always wanted to make content helping others to improve in League of Legends. I didn't see myself making video tutorials so I got interested in making a guide for a site. Mobafire had and still has the most suitable guide crafting tool for me so I just gave it a try.

My first guide was for Renekton which can be found here. There were better Renekton guides out there and I didn't have good enough knowledge overall so I archived it a few months later as it wasn't viable enough. It was quite bad for starters but good feedback from Mobafire members helped me to adjust the guide for more viable information.

13. What is, in your opinion, the most important aspect of a great guide?

Having a good cheat sheet. Most of the viewers will just be looking for an item build, masteries, runes and such. They may not even go read the guide, especially if the cheat sheet is bad.

You can have a look at the way Joxuu structures his cheat sheets within his guides here!

14. You've obviously put a lot of work into coding your guides to make them look good. Why do you think coding is so important?

Before I start, I'd like to credit the Mobafire community for teaching and helping me out with coding as I may sometimes be completly lost. As for the question: I think it's really important to have good visuals in the guide. Reading a guide is not exactly the definition of fun. In order to keep up the interest of the reader, the guide must look good. It's also much easier to find information that way.

Here is a great example of how Joxuu uses BBCode to quickly display important information. This example is particularly good because it gives a lot of information while requiring very little space and text. It also looks really nice! Also credit to Jpikachu1999 for coming up with this piece.

Your synergy

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Lucian

Preferred Role:

ADC

Lucian in nutshell:

Lucian is a ADC semi-caster that works well trough any stage of the gamme. Never really falls off and only early game can be a little troubling, but still rather easy. I think he does really well against anyone at bottom lane. The most popular ADC pick Jinx is also quite easy lane, so Lucian is safe pick that doesn't loose lane that hard to any ADC. His abilities are great for farming even if you are zoned and I doubt Riot will nerf Lucian for a while.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Your Counters

He has also kindly allowed us to share this code with you!

code

15. Do you have any tips for new guide writers?

I'd like to advise new guide writers to learn the champion thoroughly first. There is no point in making a guide that does not provide viable information. I think new guide writers are finally getting customized to reading a few tutorials first, but what is really common is that the author stubbornly refuses to listen advice given by the public. Be open to advice!

16. Finally, will we see more guides coming from you?

We will see :) In the near future I'll be publishing my general guide, but I can see myself making more bottom lane guides. Time will tell for which champions the guides will be for...

Thank you for the interview, Joxuu! And that wraps up the interview for this month. Next month we will have another interview and hopefully soon, another featured guide writer as well! Who will it be? Tune in next time for another installment!

Would you like to be featured in an interview like this? You can! All scouted guide writers are eligible to be interviewed by me, or by a Mobafire veteran. In order to get your guide featured, check out our official scout review shop, where our team of scouts is ready to review your guide and perhaps we'll see you next month on this show!

For now, thank you for reading and we'll see you next month!
Emi
<Fabulous>
Emi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2014 3:09pm | Report
Awesome interview :)

A question though: Are the more personal questions not going to be asked anymore? I always thought the funny moments/stories were really fun to read ^_^
Thanks to Janitsu for the sig!
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2014 3:27pm | Report
Nice interview ^^

There could be that story question. I am sure Joxuu would have plenty of stories about Baxtron pronouncing words the wrong way. Or about something else.

No thank you even though I taught you new words? Geez, people.

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Ubnoxius
<Altruistic Artist>
Ubnoxius's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2014 6:01pm | Report
Should also add

17. How many times have you lost a 1vs1?

"only once"

xD ... ily Joxuu <3
Thanks for the sig Emi!
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2014 2:05am | Report
Ubnoxius wrote:

Should also add

17. How many times have you lost a 1vs1?

"only once"

xD ... ily Joxuu <3

At least I got you down with me <3

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2014 4:40am | Report
The passion with which you press W when playing Teemo is inspiring :3

Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2014 5:33am | Report
Quoted:

A question though: Are the more personal questions not going to be asked anymore? I always thought the funny moments/stories were really fun to read ^_^

They will! We will probably vary the 'featured guide author' and standard interviews. This one was primarily focused on guide writing and the next one will probably be the 'standard' interview again. I don't know for sure who will do the next interview though (I did this one) and how long it will take till the next one airs because Mowen is busy and thus the interviews need to be done by vets.
Emi
<Fabulous>
Emi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2014 8:11am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

They will! We will probably vary the 'featured guide author' and standard interviews. This one was primarily focused on guide writing and the next one will probably be the 'standard' interview again. I don't know for sure who will do the next interview though (I did this one) and how long it will take till the next one airs because Mowen is busy and thus the interviews need to be done by vets.

Ahh, I see. Well, I'm sure I can speak for everyone else and say that we look forward to them ^_^
Made this sig myself :)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide