Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MOBAFire Celebrity - jhoijhoi

Creator: Mowen August 6, 2013 6:38pm
1 2 3
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2013 6:38pm | Report

This month we wanted to do an interview with a “MOBAFire Celebrity.” We could think of no one better than our very own jhoijhoi, who has been helping our site for over 2 years now. She recently made her 10,000th comment, and made a blog detailing her accomplishments throughout her stay here. Just some of these include having 6 top guides, and blowing the competition out of the water with 1600 rep. Her contributions have greatly influenced our site, and we are thankful for her consistent dedication to helping others.

Now, onto the interview!

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Let’s start at the beginning. Why did you join MOBAFire?

• Around Christmas time two years ago, a bunch of my close friends got into this game called League of Legends. I reluctantly joined them (graphics looked bad and a female talking blue bird seemed unrealistic), and as I was familiar with DotA and knowing my affinity for Drow Ranger, they recommended Ashe to me. Naturally, we turned to guide sites to read about strategy and item suggestions. Back then Ashe was a mid laner and my favourite Ashe build on MobaFire consisted of three Doran's Blades, Merc Treads and a Brutalizer. Eventually as I reached level 30, I stopped lurking at MobaFire and created my own Ashe guide.

A lot of us can probably relate to that story. Next question, how did MOBAFire improve your League of Legends experience?

• The best thing about MobaFire is the community. Players from all walks of life and skill at the game drop by and comment on guides or threads. Unlike any other guide sites, you learn unexpected amounts from MobaFire guides, authors and members. Simply by creating my own guide on MobaFire, I was forced to improve my general knowledge of the game to ensure my information was correct; I was proven wrong on many counts and learnt from my mistakes. I wouldn't be the LoL player I am today if it wasn't for the community of MobaFire.

I remember that first Ashe guide you made on MOBAFire and how many critiques you got. Now you have 6 top guides. As a popular guide author on MOBAFire, do you have suggestions or recommendations for new authors with their guides?

• Heaps! But I'll try to keep it short. Most importantly, never give up. I see many new authors come in, write a guide, and run at the first instance of criticism. As a person publishing their own ideas to the internet, you are going to come across some people who do not agree with your particular opinion. And the hardest part is, you may be wrong. That doesn't mean you should surrender at 20: listen to criticism and apply what has been suggested.

Great advice from the voice of experience. You’ve had a ton of interactions with our site and people you’ve met through it. What is a memorable moment you had involving MOBAFire?

• Probably when I was checking the comments of one of my guides and found that my dad had left a brief note detailing how proud he was that I had helped so many people with my guides. I haven't always been right, but I've always aimed to do the best I could for MobaFire and my readers. Whenever I get a positive PM or comment, I am reminded of how MobaFire has allowed me to foster the development of millions of LoL players around the world.

That indeed sounds like a great feeling. I’ve seen so many people mention you helping them out since you joined. You’ve been a part of MOBAFire so long, what about it keeps you coming back?

• Easily the community. Everyone here at MobaFire tries so hard to welcome new members and newcomers to LoL. Most of us have a common goal: helping new summoners learn a champion, thus leading them to victory. In the end, MobaFire's community is dedicated to teaching and sharing information and strategies. To me, MobaFire's community is like a large, dysfunctional family :P Whenever I log on, it's like coming home.

That sounds like a fairly accurate description. Lastly, what are you looking forward to on MOBAFire?

• Every other day there's a new addition to MobaFire. MobaFireTV, EloPhant, TwitchTV and most recently, MCS. I look forward to whatever fantastic thing MobaFire brings in next.

Check out the Warding 101 guide made by jhoijhoi for MFTV

Now onto the game itself. Can you tell us about your journey with League of Legends? What was the experience like when you started, and what is it like now?

• My first gameplay experience of LoL was with Fiddlesticks top lane. I was awful. I transitioned to ADC ( Ashe mid lane), jungler ( Malphite), solo top ( Nasus) and then support ( Sona). Somewhere in between all that, I had to endure Sion + Taric kill lanes, and Surge + Wards + Teleport tower rushes. I found that I had a real affinity for playing "AP Support Soraka" back when she could give herself mana and Philo Stone stacked. I enjoyed Vayne when her ultimate gave more damage and spec'ing in the utility tree was easily the best choice for AD and AP carries. I hated the release of Skarner, Zyra and Lissandra. And for the first time in two and a bit years, I have experienced playing LoL with 40 ping on the Oceanic servers (as opposed to the 250 ping common on NA).

It is funny how much the game changes over time, and the Oceanic server was indeed a breath of fresh air to all the Aussie players. Next question, who's your favorite champion and why?

• That's such a hard question :/ Ashe will always be my favourite ADC (though Vayne and Miss Fortune have their spots in my heart), and I fondly remember the days when I could snipe someone across the map with accuracy due to playing solely her for months at a time; Nasus is my absolute favourite melee champion - Galactic Nasus was my first skin, and Sona has always been my favourite support, 100s of missed ultimates and all.

It is indeed hard to pick one champion out of so many fun characters. Next, people play this game for various reasons. When do you have the most fun playing League of Legends?

• When I'm playing with friends. LoL is so competitive and demanding in ranked solo queue; especially when players recognise my name and expect great things. It's just fun to kick back with summoners I have made friends with online and play an "anything goes" Dominion game.

I think a lot of people would agree with you there. To wrap up our LoL questions, what are you looking forward to in League of Legends?

• A new map or game mode! Could you imagine a hectic 10v10 skirmish map where everyone starts at level 18 with some cash for items, and on death respawn as a different champion? It'd be utterly delightful chaos.

Now let’s loosen up a bit. What’s another game that you are very fond of, and why?

• Rock Band/Guitar Hero. Don't laugh. Shredding your way through a song, fingers gliding over the buttons for those hammer-ons, wiggling the whammy bar, thrusting the guitar in the air for star power; best feeling to ace a song on Expert. I enjoy the drums and vocals too. And if that wasn't quite the answer you were looking for, I have easily played more than 200 hours of Left 4 Dead; "What are you trying to prove" achievement unlocked three times on different accounts. I hate versus mode though.

So you like being a Guitar Hero? Do you have stars in your eyes? Then for our next question, who is your favorite superhero, and why?

• I don't have one D: I've never really been "into" super heroes or comics. I prefer Pokemon any day. I love Flaaffy and Sandshrew. I often consider my HM Slave to be a hero, taking it for the team.

The inner child in me is disappointed you don’t have a favorite superhero, but happy you like Sandshrew. Now, if you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

• Probably to America to visit friends I've made through LoL on the NA server. I've already travelled to places around the world and don't feel the urge to explore other countries. Now, if I could go anywhen in the world, it'd have to be Ancient Egypt.

Very interesting. To wrap this up, do you have any funny stories from when you were a child?

• One time my little sister and I (then 5 and 7) were tasked with running to the corner store to buy some milk and bread with a $5 note. On the way back I made my sister carry the milk, whilst I carried the bread. The 3L container was way too heavy for her, so she dragged it behind her on the road; the plastic eventually grated away, resulting in the loss of at least a quarter of the milk. I have this vision of two young girls trying to scoop milk up from the gravel and failing hilariously. I can't remember if I ever got in trouble for it, but the memory still amuses me today.

Read more about jhoijhoi's accomplishments in her blog: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/blog/jhoijhoi/10-000-comments-posts

Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Lord Olofalcon
<Member>
Lord Olofalcon's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2013 10:32pm | Report
Keep up the great work Jhoijhoi! Your Ashes to Ashe's guide was the first guide I used when I started playing LoL. Was a great way to help me start off! Thanks for all the help!
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2013 10:42pm | Report
awh u so popular jhoi. <3
-NA- Veng Lmfao
<Altruistic Artist>
-NA- Veng Lmfao's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2013 11:17pm | Report
Amazing work you've done for this community Jhoi! Outstanding stuff.
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
IShouldGetALife's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2013 11:42pm | Report
Keep up the great work, your guides are amazing and especially the making a guide one, it has and is helping me so much on my first guide.
If I have helped in anyway at all a +rep will be appreciated lots
Thanks to LaCorpse, Hogopogo and JhoiJhoi for the amazing sigs
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2013 4:03am | Report
Great interview :)

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
emoriam
<Veteran>
emoriam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2013 8:28am | Report
Keep up your work. Your "Making a guide" can help everyone to create a decent and good looking guide. Thank you for this and your whole work :P.
Thanks to Ubnoxius for this sig!
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2013 8:40am | Report
WTF, no shoutout jay? sadface
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2013 10:57am | Report
lol HM slaves are indeed heroes!

10v10 would be hella fun.

good read. well done jhoi and mowen.

jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2013 5:37pm | Report
This was a little more embarrassing than I thought it would be, but thanks for the well wishes and all, guys! :)
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig unintentional collab with Jovy and me ♡
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide