Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Monthly Guide Rewards and Point System

Creator: Mowen March 8, 2017 8:38am
Swuft
<Fabulous>
Swuft's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 8, 2017 8:29pm | Report
I hope the General Rules & Guidelines are enough to keep the raffle's innate encouragement of quantity over quality in check.

Other than that I'm excited!
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 3:31am | Report
I like it but at the same time... eh.

Like, I have had the top viewed Swain guide on mobafire for a while now, at 3 million views, but he's such an underdog that I barely get any comments on it. Being underplayed/underappreciated means he gets much less updates by Riot as well, meaning that the odds of being affected by a patch are also reduced.

So this basically means I need to spam reviews on other people's guides to get points or create a guide for a popular champ in order to gain points?

Also, it says my guide is at 84% but I only have 7 points <.<
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 4:36am | Report
@jhoijhoi, thanks for the feedback! Glad you like it! We've noted down your suggested adjustments to the ticket counts, we're going to be watching and discussing and adjusting based on what we see and on everyone's feedback so keep it coming! The counts are definitely not set in stone, we fully plan on tweaking them month to month based on how things go and on what you guys want.

There are really two goals for this system. The first is obviously to reward our active community members and contributors in a fun way. The second is to try and stir up MORE activity. We want it to encourage people to get out and visit content they might not have otherwise. If you have a guide for a less popular champion, we hope you will see some amount of increase in activity on your guide from this, and we may tweak the rewards to push that. Again, we'd love to hear suggestions along these lines. We're not opposed to having variable rewards such as, comments on guides for less popular champions giving more tickets for example. In fact we have plans already for a few things along those lines.

We've also discussed expanding it to more sections of the site than just guides. Ultimately guides are the lifeblood of the site, so we wanted to lead with that, but we are also definitely open to expanding it to other types of contribution and activity such as rep, q&a, wiki edits, etc... We just want to be careful not to push quantity over quality, so we will be expanding things gradually.

jhoijhoi wrote:
Edit: Also, just checked my position on the leaderboard. It seems like my points there are way down from the front page?

I checked just now and your points on the leaderboard match your points in your profile. There was a bit of data that got left behind from some pre-launch testing we did, that may have been what you were seeing. Does it look right to you now?

Swuft wrote:
I hope the General Rules & Guidelines are enough to keep the raffle's innate encouragement of quantity over quality in check.

Yes that is definitely a concern and we will be watching and adjusting things to control this. Don't forget too, even though the winner selection process is automated, we will be manually reviewing the winners to make sure they're not spamming and cheesing the contest, and if we see that someone is breaking site rules they will definitely get excluded and another winner will be selected in their place, as Mowen said. Users that repeatedly try to spam and cheat may also end up permanently blacklisted from future contests.

FalseoGod wrote:
Being underplayed/underappreciated means he gets much less updates by Riot as well, meaning that the odds of being affected by a patch are also reduced.

We're definitely open to suggestions here. We can absolutely discuss the possibility of scaling rewards for activity in places that need it more. Think on it a bit and if you have any ideas toss them out!

FalseoGod wrote:
Also, it says my guide is at 84% but I only have 7 points <.<

Your guide was last updated Feb 27 which is outside of the contest start date (March 1). Therefore it is being excluded from the contest. As per the rules, you must update your guide during the contest month in order for it to be included. So go update your guide, and within an hour you will see your new tickets!
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 4:52am | Report
Ok, thanks for the replies Matt!

I don't have much to offer in regards of "how to balance the underdogs" asides from maybe adding to the equation considerations over how much the champ is played (maybe setting something like from x% to z% you gain # points, then from y% to w% you gain #+5 points, etc) and when they got their last update/patch.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 7:32am | Report
Honestly, unless the writer themselves is popular or happens to have a guide that's been around for a REALLY long time, guides get almost no views anymore. The popularity of the champion makes very little difference. My Karma guide is coming up on three years old and still only has just over a million views, despite Karma seeing a lot of play last season in the role the guide is written for. It literally took two years for the guide to get 19 votes, after which point I turned off comment to vote in the hopes it would actually get some votes. That count has over doubled in the last season by comparison, but that's still sad and kind of indicative of the problem with writing new guides.
Vicious Skittle
<Sharpshooter>
Vicious Skittle's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 8:54am | Report
It says lengthy replies are 5 points, but on my profile (I have 2 of them) they're 2 points.

Also I assume I don't have a lot of points for my 3 guides being 85%+ because they're not updated (going to update them throughout the day). Can I get confirmation if that's the case with the scoring of those points?
Signatures made by: The_Nameless_Bard and Hopper
Perfection? I got that.
Vicious Skittle
<Sharpshooter>
Vicious Skittle's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 9:03am | Report
@ The_Nameless_Bard I think there is some merit to champ popularity. I don't consider myself a "prestigious" guide writer, my best guide is my Jhin one which got a metric **** load of views in the span of just over 1 year as he's been popular since his release and I've taken great care of the guide (I like to think). So champ popularity has an effect. My Jayce one which I wrote recently is also just over 500k views and he was immensely popular when I made that guide. The first guide I wrote, for Draven, has recently hit 4 million but it's by far my oldest guide (several years).

I think Karma never really got "HYPE" like Jhin/Jayce have. She's been steadily getting more popular, she's never had a point of time of being totally broken (like Jayce) or been hyped beyond belief since a teaser (Jhin).
Signatures made by: The_Nameless_Bard and Hopper
Feel the thunder.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 9:07am | Report
It's just personal opinion after years of being here. It used to be so much easier to get exposure on new guides.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 9:10am | Report
Also I assume I don't have a lot of points for my 3 guides being 85%+ because they're not updated (going to update them throughout the day). Can I get confirmation if that's the case with the scoring of those points?
Yep, what Matt said before in response to FalseoGod applies to you as well (if you replace Feb 27 with any of the dates you last updated your guides):

Matt wrote:
Your guide was last updated Feb 27 which is outside of the contest start date (March 1). Therefore it is being excluded from the contest. As per the rules, you must update your guide during the contest month in order for it to be included. So go update your guide, and within an hour you will see your new tickets!

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2017 9:14am | Report
It's just personal opinion after years of being here. It used to be so much easier to get exposure on new guides.

I think it's a mixture of both, but I'm sure champion accessibility/popularity plays a role in it.
I mean, no one knows ElusiveFerret (you could argue Vapora is relatively know, and probably our most known player) and his guide is constantly getting new comments, which makes sense because Ahri is a pretty appealing champ. You also see that when new builds start spreading towards some champs (like lethality patch), these champs get more views, comments and questions.

Support is not a popular role to begin with.
Thank you Tsuki for the sig!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide