Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Patch 5.23 Summary

Creator: Wayne3100 November 24, 2015 5:49pm
1 2
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2015 5:49pm | Report

Hello and welcome to the MOBAFire Patch Summary - 5.23!

If you haven't noticed already, Patch 5.23 was applied to all live servers last night! After a hefty preseason patch, 5.23 includes some balance tweaks and the addition of some altered game mechanics involving Homeguard, minion pushing and death timers. There's also the new champion, Illaoi and 7 new skins (not including Illaoi's skin) available for purchase.

In this post, we will highlight some of these changes to ensure that those of you who are struggling to adapt get right back up to speed. Let's go!

Champion Updates

WTF DID THEY DO TO MY CHAMPION?!
quick access for concerned players

+
Ashe
Azir
Bard
Caitlyn
+
-
-
~
Kha'Zix
Lucian
Miss Fortune
Mordekaiser
~
+
Quinn
Skarner
Zed
Zilean

! = Rework / Gameplay Update* = Mostly bugfix(es) and/or display changes+ = Buff- = Nerf~ = Mixed

Before we look at the changes made to existing champions in this patch (which are summarized in the table above), we'll start this section off by highlighting the fact that the new champion, Illaoi, has already been made available (despite the patch notes only mentioning she would be unlocked "later"). Should her release have caught you by surprise, make sure to familiarize yourself with her kit by checking out her abilities below (mouse-over the ability icons for details).

As for the other changes, there are couple of small buffs ( Caitlyn, Kha'Zix, Zed) and nerfs ( Lucian, Miss Fortune) which may influence the popularity of the champions receiving them, but the most impactful set of changes have gone to Quinn and Mordekaiser.

The main change to take away from this for Quinn is that she is once again apply to "blind" enemies by removing allied vision and reducing the vision radius of the first target hit by her Q to 300, adding some utility to her kit which can heavily influence (team)fights if applied to the right target at the right moment.

Meanwhile, Mordekaiser's damage curve has been smoothed out, as the bursty pattern of his Q (with successive hits dealing 3x as much damage as the last one) has been turned into one of a more sustained nature (the first and second hit now deal equal damage, with the third hit dealing double damage). Note that both champions have received a ~ indicator in the "WTF DID THEY DO TO MY CHAMPION?!" table since it's hard to indicate how these changes will affect their viability.

Summoner's Rift Updates

In addition to the changes to champions, there are also a number of general changes which should influence the natural flow of games played on the Rift. As an example, these changes include the early game increase & late game reduction of death timers, health buffs to both outer and inner turrets and the tuning to the jungle, with all camps losing magic resistance across the board.

The most influential changes in this category, however, are related to minions (left) and the Homeguard enchantment (right). Now, the latter is no longer purchasable; instead, all champions gain the buff automatically upon recalling past the 20 minute mark, allowing room to purchase other boot enchantments which were previously being overshadowed.

As for minions, Riot will be testing a change later on during this patch (it is not live yet!) which will amplify the damage dealt by your minions to enemy minions while also reducing the damage taken by them if your team is ahead. The exact amount of bonus damage / damage reduction is determined by how many levels your team is ahead (on average) as well as how far ahead your team is in turret kills (for those who are interested, the exact formulas are displayed below).

• Bonus damage = (5% + (5% x Turret advantage)) x Team level advantage
  • Damage reduction = 1 + (Level advantage * Turret advantage)

Upcoming Skins

If you're a fan of new skins, this patch has you covered. Other than Illaoi's release skin, this patch includes a new 1820 RP (a.k.a. Legendary) Tristana skin, two 1350s and four similarly themed 750 RP skins which share the same splash art. As always, these skins will be unlocked somewhere within the next two weeks (before the next patch arrives).

Share Your Thoughts!

That's the end of this patch summary from our point of view; time to throw it back over to you guys. Will you be picking up Illaoi for your top lane pool (or perhaps another role)? How do you think the changes to minion pushing and death timers will affect the flow of the game? Do you think the changes to Mordekaiser and Quinn will leave them stronger or weaker overall? Finally, will you be picking up any of the new skins?

Let us know in the comments below!

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2015 8:46pm | Report
Here's an undocumented change: Bandit in the Cunning Tree now gives the +1 gold whether the individual killing the unit was an ally champion or an ally minion or turret. That is, even if your lane partner misses the cs, you still get the +1 gold.
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2015 8:51pm | Report
The changes to the jungle monsters and the Hunter's Talisman made all the difference for jungle Lulu and I assume for all spellcaster junglers. Without a leash, Lulu went from being able to clear only 2 camps to being able to clear every camp and end up with full health and mana before backing.

Also, with the addition of global homeguards, I'm curious to see what enchantments people put on their boots. I'm starting to put Captain on many of my supports' boots.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2015 8:58pm | Report
Enchantment: Captain still sucks, you're better off getting Enchantment: Distortion (or Enchantment: Alacrity, I suppose) on supports.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2015 9:42pm | Report
And Riot decide to make the game even more of a snowball than it already was.
Well I'm prepared.

Basically MOBAFire.
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2015 5:54pm | Report
Enchantment: Captain still sucks, you're better off getting Enchantment: Distortion (or Enchantment: Alacrity, I suppose) on supports.

Enchantment: Distortion is only really good if both of your summoner spells would get empowered -- i.e. if you're running Flash and Teleport. Enchantment: Alacrity is good for some extra run speed. However, as a support, I'm trying to empower my team, so I think that Enchantment: Captain is quite useful. On Janna, it means that teammates get a full 18% movement speed boost if they need to get away. On Leona, it means that teammates get an extra 10% movement speed boost toward the enemy that Leona is locking down. I think it's quite useful in certain circumstances.
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2015 5:56pm | Report
And Riot decide to make the game even more of a snowball than it already was.
Well I'm prepared.

Care to elaborate? It seems like these changes are designed to help the defensive side rather than the offensive side.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2015 9:24pm | Report
MungoGeri wrote:
Enchantment: Distortion is only really good if both of your summoner spells would get empowered -- i.e. if you're running Flash and Teleport. Enchantment: Alacrity is good for some extra run speed. However, as a support, I'm trying to empower my team, so I think that Enchantment: Captain is quite useful. On Janna, it means that teammates get a full 18% movement speed boost if they need to get away. On Leona, it means that teammates get an extra 10% movement speed boost toward the enemy that Leona is locking down. I think it's quite useful in certain circumstances.
No, Enchantment: Distortion is good whether you only have Flash or not, because it lowers the cooldown of Flash and gives you further benefits when you use Flash. It's especially good on supports who can utilize Flash as part of their initiation and allows them to do a better job of supporting their team by having those Flash + x combos up more often, but it's generally consistently useful because you're never going to not take Flash. Enchantment: Alacrity isn't something amazing, but its passive is consistent and constant. Extra movement speed can make it easier to ward deep, plus when combined with Mobility Boots it pretty much makes them give as much movement speed as a normal pair of boots two when the passive is on cooldown (attacking wards counts as combat, so that can be helpful if you're clearing out wards). Enchantment: Captain is, at best, a situational enchantment because it's not particularly consistent due to the way it works. I play Janna fairly regularly and can say that the amount of time her passive is actually being proc'd anymore is significantly less than the amount of time it's not being proc'd. The same is true of the captain enchantment, which is just useless when it's not being proc'd, so the enchantment mostly does nothing for you and sometimes does something fairly minor for your teammates. It's slightly less useless on initiators, but on backline supports you might as well not bother. It's just not cost efficient since it's the same price as all the other enchantments and more time than not is doing nothing. It wasn't getting bought before for a reason and that reason wasn't just because people mostly bought Enchantment: Homeguard.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 26, 2015 12:41am | Report
@MungoGeri
Wayne3100 wrote:

As for minions, Riot will be testing a change later on during this patch (it is not live yet!) which will amplify the damage dealt by your minions to enemy minions while also reducing the damage taken by them if your team is ahead. The exact amount of bonus damage / damage reduction is determined by how many levels your team is ahead (on average) as well as how far ahead your team is in turret kills (for those who are interested, the exact formulas are displayed below).

• Bonus damage = (5% + (5% x Turret advantage)) x Team level advantage
  • Damage reduction = 1 + (Level advantage * Turret advantage)

Funnily enough buffing minions in two different ways at the same time does not reduce the amount of snowballing. Probably because the minions can siege the base by themselves, it makes it harder to farm because they take less damage from champions, and if you can avoid that the winning laner can just stay in lane and wreck your face because why not? They've already taken your tower.

Basically MOBAFire.
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 26, 2015 7:06am | Report
Such cool skins this patch <:
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide