Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Riot Releases Summoner Names!

Creator: FlashJ October 17, 2011 8:32pm
1 2
FlashJ
<Administrator>
FlashJ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2011 8:32pm | Report
Riot made more than a few people happy today when they announced they are releasing the summoner names for inactive accounts for use by active players.

Quoted:
Summoners!

Whether you’ve recently signed up to play League of Legends or you are a veteran player and you’ve tried to purchase a name change, you may have needed an extremely active imagination to register a summoner name on your first try. We know how frustrating it can be unable to secure your preferred nickname, and we want to help!

It’s come to our attention that there are a great many names out there that belong to summoners that have yet to log in and play a matchmade game. So, in response to player feedback, we’d like to free up these inactive summoner names so that they’re available for players that are ready to use them immediately.

So, if you had previously claimed a summoner name and would like to keep it, all you have to do is log in and play at least one matchmade game before midnight on Sunday the 30th of October. If you haven’t managed to make a showing of ownership by then, we will free up the name for those who are either just now registering or those would like to change their name.

If you have registered an account that is in danger of losing its summoner name, you will receive an email notifying you of your responsibility to log in and play a matchmade game in the next few days. Once you have played at least one matchmade game on your account, the summoner name in question will be yours to keep.

If you have already played your matchmade game at the time you receive your email, don’t worry! We’re still keeping track of your games; it just takes some time to send that many emails!

We’re looking forward to seeing you in game!

Read the original thread...
"Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2011 8:34pm | Report
Zeprido beat you to it Flash.
It's still nice that they're doing it.
True love is found only in yourself.
Bryun
<Magic Man>
Bryun's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2011 8:47pm | Report
This works only if you bought a name?

hypershatter
<Member>
hypershatter's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2011 8:57pm | Report
a gimmick by riot to increase their sales for name change.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2011 10:56pm | Report
Wow, not many companies/websites do that kind of thing. It's a great initiative.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 17, 2011 11:14pm | Report
It's especially important for something like this to occur in a free game. It's effortless to create an account (or several) and just claim a whole bunch of usernames that you might not even use. Hopefully this will free up some of the inactive smurfs lying around.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
divic
<Member>
divic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:21am | Report
I kinda don't like it. I am owning accounts on each server and can't play a game on each server so often. Many of my friends are inactive at the moment but they are still probably going to play at some time. This is kinda killing the old players and multi-accounters. Reason why I have so many accounts is my game-history. When I started playing EU-server was so ****py that kinda everyone had to play on NA-server. This is kicking some of those off and on the other hand this is kicking some old beta-players which aren't active at the moment. Like Maka for example, if I have got it right, those nicks are going to be on share too? So if one of the all time greatest lol-players doesn't show up until 30 october his account would be kinda gone forever? And weared by some new kid?

This isn't getting my points.

Kinda you must have really awful imagination if you have to steal other players nicks. Just my point of view.
In ranked games i try to use modern strategies, I have played for example Annie-support a year before it came famous.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:29am | Report
No, they're deleting accounts with NO games on them. So if I joined LoL with "happystickyo" and never played a game, that account would be revoked.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
divic
<Member>
divic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 2:31am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

No, they're deleting accounts with NO games on them. So if I joined LoL with "happystickyo" and never played a game, that account would be revoked.

mkay, well then there are no bad aspects but usefulness is another question. There are not so many good names which wouldn't have any games played. Kinda useless release but... Well... Just same basic ****.
In ranked games i try to use modern strategies, I have played for example Annie-support a year before it came famous.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 1:28pm | Report
not really

tons of names I was considering changing to are all level 1s with no games.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide