Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Update to Summoner's Rift headed to PBE

Creator: Wayne3100 June 5, 2014 12:28pm
1 2 3
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2014 12:28pm | Report
Update to Summoner's Rift headed to PBE
BY RIOT AEON

It's nearly time to push a big update out to PBE and we want to provide context on what's around the bend. As some of you have guessed, we've been working on an update to Summoner's Rift for a while now. This effort is a big part of our commitment to continually improve League of Legends. We're focusing on preserving the spirit of Summoner's Rift and evolving how the map communicates gameplay.

Given the importance of Summoner's Rift to League of Legends, the fundamental structure of the map remains untouched. Flashable walls, turret ranges, lane sizes, brush interaction and ward placements are exactly as they are on the current map. The intention is to keep moment-to-moment League of Legends the same while improving gameplay through additional clarity.

What clarity translates to is the updated map doing a better job of drawing eyes to the most important information of the moment. When fights break out, the environment should be the background, allowing particle effects and champions to pop off the screen and feed players the crucial data they need to make the right play.

Beyond this, Summoner's Rift should help players and spectators stay oriented. The western half of the map looks damaged by the emergence of Baron Nashor, while the eastern half feels ancient and overgrown. This, alongside each quadrant's respective buff, gives every jungle section thoughtfully placed landmarks and subtle color cues. Speaking of the jungle, a cadre of new monsters made Summoner's Rift home, sporting designs that more accurately reflect their respective gameplay characteristics. For example, the Krugs' (double golem replacements) rocky exteriors look like the damage soaking mini-tanks they are--and they appear weaker than the hulking Blue Sentinel.

Once the update moves onto the PBE, we will begin sharing a series of features to give you insight into the development of the update. You can expect:

• Dev blogs written by artists, designers and producers on the team
  • Live Q&A sessions with the developers
  • PBE patch notes with the latest developments

The dev blogs will kick off soon, providing insight into the art and design of the update. We're also creating a dedicated Community Beta environment for you to give us crucial feedback. On the technical side, new texture rendering tech requires a bit more RAM than the current map, but we're working on optimizations to mitigate the impact. This update absolutely shouldn't require you to upgrade your PC (or Mac) when it launches to live.

Even when this update ships to live we'll continue to make updates. There's always room for improvement and we'll be looking to you for ideas.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

FAQ

Is this replacing todays Summoners Rift?

How much is gameplay changing?

When's it hitting live?

How do I play the update?

Will you do a Team Builder-style beta on live?

Will I need to update my PC or Mac to play?

What's this mean for other maps?

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
ShadyWolfe
<Member>
ShadyWolfe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2014 12:34pm | Report
Looks amazing love the animations the jungle monsters do and they new looks of them too bad my laptop will explode trying to render these graphics
LevasK
<Member>
LevasK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2014 12:47pm | Report
Well knowing Riot this new map will be full of bugs and will likely crash your game, but I like how it looks.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2014 12:48pm | Report
Am very, very, very impressed. An actual background ground, a baron to fear, and a dragon which looks badass. I'd almost feel bad about killing it, almost.
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2014 1:06pm | Report
Jesus mozes mohammed this is amazing :o
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Hogopogo
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2014 1:14pm | Report
I don't really like the look of the new minions and small monsters(baby blue buff, baby wolves etc).
Other than that it looks really great :)
Thanks to IPodPulse for this <3^
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2014 1:25pm | Report
I love this,

by jhoijhoi
Lady Amelyne
<Member>
Lady Amelyne's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2014 1:35pm | Report
While there's no doubt it looks great, some champions with outdated models may have trouble "fitting in."
Credits go to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2014 1:49pm | Report
holy moly
Khazem
<King of the Hill>
Khazem's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2014 1:55pm | Report
oh god why

I'm pretty sure if computers could cry that's exactly what mine would be doing right now

help...
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide