Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Off Topic - New MOBA Brainstorming

Creator: ianxplosion May 8, 2011 8:04pm
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 9, 2011 5:30pm | Report
well yeah i see your point.

perhaps they could also have a tree depending on race? with some tank skills some caster skills and some melee skills, etc.

that way you wouldn't have to shoehorn a race into a certain role.

just my 2 cents but its not my decision.

i also like your idea of tanks.

and the machinist type sounds interesting. so how are you doing stats? or do you have any ideas for that?
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
ianxplosion
<Member>
ianxplosion's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 9, 2011 6:18pm | Report
They're based off the class, and certain skill give innate bonuses. Tanky skills also add HP/DEF/MR, etc. Although in game you still have to rely on itemization for your actual role.
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 9, 2011 6:36pm | Report
So are you making this on Unity or something? Or is it all just theorycraft?

I like Cauch's idea of extra mastery trees openign up for different classes, but why stop there? How bout extra items(one for each role, tank, fighter, etc)?
Australians, the best gamers in the world combined with the worst ping.
ianxplosion
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2011 3:40pm | Report
I was working on my own engine for the longest time before realizing I am not entirely capable.

Now I'm working with a small team of coders and artists, focusing on getting the website up (for more intense discussion with a future playerbase as well as information posting). I don't picture the game playable for at least two years, but the design documents are coming along well, as is the capital-raising.
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 11, 2011 3:42pm | Report
I'm pretty sure the hardest part would be like fog of war and virtual pathing. Keep us updated though =D
Australians, the best gamers in the world combined with the worst ping.
ianxplosion
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2011 10:31pm | Report
Update!

I need brainstorming. I need the exchange of ideas, I need back and forth, I need a wall to smash my head into.

Until the website comes up, I don't have official forums to try and lure you to, so I'm going to be using this thread (as it's served me well in the past).

IN A NEW MOBA, GEARED SPECIFICALLY TOWARDS SHORTER GAMETIMES AND HIGHER CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?

Answers below, and I'll let you all know when the website goes live.

If you'd like to get involved, let me know as well. I don't need any real experience, as this is an indie game project, and I'm paying most of the help as is.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2011 11:03pm | Report
how much we talking about shorter gametimes?

because i could see something like bloodline champions where your character levels up outside of the arena and you learn your skills and stuff then.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 18, 2011 11:08pm | Report
Hmmm... Shorter game times... how short we talking? most LoL games go about 35 minutes, usually longer for me though.

I wouldn't mind something like a "custom hero" moba with customization, would create a much more complex character development. Downside to this would be unfriendly with new players, so you can have "recommended skill builds" which should help close the game as the recommended builds would be tried and true to work.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2011 1:38am | Report
I was thinking kinda like Icewind Dale 2 customization for heroes, like you make a few (maybe you have 5 hero slots) and you make them how you want (kinda like cod custom classes) and then you can choose who you want in the lobby. Just an idea ofc.

Another idea is just like have a mastery/rune stylish system instead and have premade heroes you can pick from.

Either way youre going to need a LOT of models and skins (race and class being the biggest need for skin changes)

BTW I'd absolutely love to test for you if you give us the forum link when you have the site up I'll come over instantly. Absolutely loving this theorycrafting =P

JHOIJHOI IS THE BESTEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND THIS SIG IS AMAZING TY <3
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 19, 2011 1:41am | Report
Adonikam wrote:

BTW I'd absolutely love to test for you if you give us the forum link when you have the site up I'll come over instantly. Absolutely loving this theorycrafting =P

And I come with previous experience and unlike most players will actually contribute/give feedback.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide